Tuesday

Appleseeds Indoor Playground in NYC

Received Tuesday, November 11, 2008
nanny sighting logo When/Where: Appleseeds Indoor Playground November 11 between 12 and 3 PM.

(Well, I will start posting again... that is if I don't get flames and trolls getting all weird over my posts... I am a SAHM and we go all over the city to do things, so I see a lot...)

1. Good Nanny Sighting- Sweet Nanny (Dark skinned, not sure of ethnicity, could be African American or not, I didn't notice if she had an accent, wearing a black and white sweater) was super attentive to "Sammy" (I think that was his name, he is twoish, had had a haircut earlier in the day and wore an off white long sleeved polo shirt) Nanny and a perhaps a nanny friend were just great with the kids (I am not sure who belonged to who besides "Sammy", there was another younger boy who had a "halting" walk and I think he was part of the kids.). The nanny was super encouraging, warm and hands on.

2. Not So Great Nanny Sighting- Twoish boy (brown bob ish hair, black skeleton T shirt) was having serious behavior issues. (and of course, this may not be any fault of the nanny!). He was interfering with the other kids cleaning up by dumping their baskets, and non responsive to adults who asked him to stop.... His nanny was medium skinned (perhaps Philipina?) and was wearing a striped sweater (off white and tan and pink?). She was sitting about 15 feet away, not really interacting and mostly coming up when things were really out of control and someone shot her a look, NOT proactive by any means and this kiddo could have used someone to really get in there...She was "not firm" with her directions to him because he just ignored her. (and she sort of seemed to give up). Whie she may be a nice nanny for some kid, I would say that she doesn't seem to have the energy or drive to nanny this particular child.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like with my first nannying position I was like the second one. I had nannied for a child who was 8 years old, completely out of control, no respect for his nannies at all and would not listen. I was not mature enough to handle it. I was 19 when I nannied him. However, now I still hang out with this child and I am 21. I found that now, when I'm not his nanny he see's me with more respect (probably because I still hang out with him...he had his sweet moments) now he is 10

I am I've seen him with his current nanny and he is the same, and I was there to pick him up to spend some time with him and his new nanny was there and she knew I was coming and stayed to watch the 7 year old little girl I too used to nanny. But I know this nanny very well and she's a great girl. She had told him to go to his room just before I had walked in the door and he thought he was off the hook, he ignored everything his current nanny said to him about going to his room before I had got there. She tried everything and then looked at me for help, understanding that I've been there. and all I said was "you heard her" and he walked straight to his room!

I seriously think some kids just resent having a nanny. and push and scream everytime some random lady (or man) that isn't their parent is telling them what to do.


I can honestly feel for this girl, but the post said "two year old ish"...that is so young, a kid that young can be picked up and sat down and made to behave. I understand the feeling of being out of control and overwhelmed with your out of control charge. But seriously, this kid needs a nanny that isn't afraid of hurting his feelings for the better being of the child. Its okay to give a child a time out and for them to cry about it. you will feel bad, but you gotta get over it and know its for the better!

Anonymous said...

by the way, I still hung out with this kid because I'm close to his mom still and the new nanny. Just with the family in general.

Anonymous said...

I don't think a two year old deserves a timeout for dumping a basket out,etc. He may need to be taken out of that situation for that moment. At two they love dumping out things! Knocking things down, etc. Especially, a young two year old. Usually they like to help put stuff away but get a kick out of seeing it dumped back out.

Just my opinion of how my son is. He loves knocking down blocks, etc. But now he also enjoys helping to put stuff away.

Anonymous said...

I go to appleseeds with my daughter during the weekdays and on weekends. The one observation I have made is that on weekends, the bench near the bottom of the slide is empty 95% of the time. On weekends, it's usually parents there and they are always with their children in the play area. During the week however, it is occupied 99% of the time by 2, sometimes 3 of the nanny posse who are letting their charges run wild. If they happen to see their charge swat my daughter in the taxi, they just yell from the bench.

Anonymous said...

OP here.

In response to Eric's mom, I am not advocating a time out for dumping, but some direction of one kind or another from the nanny. Yes, I know kid's love to dump stuff, but they should be redirected when dumping the particular stuff that other kids are putting away.

In response to Lynne, I agree, it is night and day difference on weekends. The parents are mostly there on weekends, and they have much more visible energy and are out on the floor with the kids. Naturally, there are exceptions with regard to nannies and parents. (I am a parent and there are days where I am thrilled if i can sit down, but my kiddo never stays in one place and I feel its necessary to always see him, even if I am not standing next to him. I also see nannies that have more energy than me and then sometimes parents who sit and hang on bench without noticing their kiddo is hitting others!)

In response to miserly bastard, I would be concerned if your child and caretaker are spending more than an hour on the playground (I am not including class time). This may not be true of every kid, but after an hour, my kid is tired of the room and more likely to be bored and causing trouble by the second hour. The question is, is the child or the caretaker the one driving the decision to stay on past an hour...