Tuesday

CL - WTF?

craigs list wtf Tuesday, September 23, 2008
I Am Not Mary Poppins (Anywhere Close To Gaithersburg)
I am not Mary Poppins. For those parents out there who are seeking the quintessential nanny who never gets tired, with a permanent smile like a Botox injection gone wrong, takes every insult with a dose of humor and breaks out in a song and dance ensemble, a nanny that has a lengthy list of credentials deemed necessary to raise a prodigy .. I am not that person. What I am is a regular run-of-the mill nanny and by all accounts not a super human. So no I will not smile and cringe when Little Becky Sue kicks me in the shin. As a parent would you? No I will not work overtime for free. Do you? No I do not want to know any personal problems nor do I wish to divulge any of mine to you. No I will not use my car to drive to Little Todd’s play dates and keep quiet about the expenses so that you can dine at a five star restaurant while I eat spam with a straw. I don’t care if you decide to leave the children and run across the border as long as you send a post card and my check. I will not be your butler, maid, secretary or yes-man to stroke your ego. I do not care where you live and how you live. If you want to use your tidey whiteys for a dust rag that is your business. I do not wish to sit on the floor of your home all day pretending to enjoy a mind numbing game of tea with Little Rebecca when you don’t even want to do it. I will not pretend to smile first thing in the morning if I do not feel like it just to be polite. I will not run your errands for you as I am not a courier service. I will not hug, kiss and whisper sweet nothings to your kids in an effort to win their affections. I am not trying to be their friend. I will not eat from you refrigerator or cupboards so no need to count the eggs or the chickens in the chicken coop for that matter before you leave home. I will let your kids watch tv until they go into a coma if that is what they are accustomed to. If your child has a problem respecting those in authority I will let Little Billy continue to jump on the bed and sofa until he learns the true definition of concussion. No I will not come over last minute because…. Surprise!!! I have a life too. Please don’t answer your door choked up with your bed linen around your neck for a scarf trying to look dignified carrying an arm’s length list of questions to intimidate me when I come over for an interview because I will reciprocate the kindness and play the game of Jeopardy with you. Do not give me excuses as to why you were late just pay me for my overtime because the bill collector doesn’t care why I didn’t send this month’s payment on time. Do not ask me to prepare a five course meal for the kids everyday when all you do is feed them sugar when I am not there. Call Chef Gordon Ramsey for that. Do not presume that my arithmetic is not up to par with yours and shorten my pay by a couple dollars and pretend that you are being fair and that somehow, just somehow I should just be content with the notion that I have “the world’s greatest job”. If you are unhappy with your life and wait for me to come in the mornings to harass me… you will be even unhappier and decide to take that leap from the ledge by the time I leave. Do not talk down to me because you think I am so desperate for a job or uneducated, unless you are just in the mood to play a game of the battle of wits. Now if I ask you to get the necessary supplies to help Little Johnny do his homework and be a better pupil do not expect me to spend my money and acquire these necessities and let it slide. I am very resourceful and..... Click here to finish reading this post and all of the other odd selections MPP gathered this week.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So for the one where the parents are gone for 2 months, is that $14/hour 24/7? I don't know what to think about that ad. Certainly an unusual situation. Seems like it would be a better idea (since they obviously have tons of money) to take the 5 kids with them to China, perhaps bringing at least one nanny along with them or hiring nannies once in China, rather than leaving them in the care of a stranger for 2 months.

Anonymous said...

Hm. She seems very strict, why would you have a camera in every room of the house? That just seems little paranoid. But I agree, they obviously have so much money and they could just take the kids and a nanny with them for the experience.

Anonymous said...

$14 an hour is not much for 3 kids AND 24/7 job.

I think it's great she lets applicants know what to expect though (nanny cams)- much better than filming in secret. Still, I'd never work for a family like that. I need my privacy and that's certainly not worth giving up for $14 an hour.

Emily said...

I don't know, macaroniandcheese, IF that's $14/hour 24 hours a day, you'll end up with over $20,000 for just two months work. If you were paid at that rate for a year long job you'd make $120K. You think that's not much?

Anonymous said...

I feel bad for that "manny." It sounds like he is just desperate for a family.

Anonymous said...

It may just be me, but I don't know if I would feel comfortable with a 40+ year old living in my house.

Anonymous said...

I first thought he sounded a little like another male nanny who's been on here before,but his age made me think it couldn't be.

Anonymous said...

So...I don't think the first family were able to take their kids to China with them for two reasons.

1. The kids are in school, clearly they can't just pull them away for two months.

2. The parents are there to adopt another kid. They will be busy. Much to busy to handle 5 kids, even if they brought a nanny. Its much easier to keep the kids at home.

and the last post...I just feel bad for him. He'll get so taken advantage of.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Maybe he's a scammer though or someone with a great big heart. Really he could just get into the home with fake references and then rip them off or something and move on. His post makes him sound like a great guy,maybe a little to great?

Anonymous said...

RE:

Come on $100 a week to drive from Teaneck to NY for that money. Even though the child is in class you are still working. Its not like you can really leave the city, and be back in time. With traffic and all. Then paying the tolls $8.00 to go over the bridge. If you left and came back it would be $16.00 just to go over the bridge twice. Do you think they pay for tolls? Plus tutor once a week for two hours? Tutors make at least $30 per hour alone.

Serious and Responsible Person Needed ASAP (Teaneck, NJ)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: gigs-856280846@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-09-26, 2:31PM EDT



I am looking for a very mature minded person to transport my 12 year old daughter to and from NYC for a class three times per week (10-15 minute drive from my home). Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays drop off at 4:15pm and pick up at 7:30pm.

In addition to that you will be required to tutor her for two hours per week. Times and days are flexible.

I can afford to pay up to $100. per week

The job will yours from now until June 2009. The job will resume again in September 2009.

If interested e-mail or call 201-357-2752.




Location: Teaneck, NJ
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: $100/per week for lite Duties