Sunday

CL - WTF #11 in a Series

Sunday, September 21, 2008
craigs list wtf
Seeking au pair with newborn experience, unique situation ... (Brooklyn, NY)
Earliest starting date is from October 2008 until spring 2009. Short or long term stay. Must have experience with infants and please provide references.Minimum hours of help required when baby arrives. Age range 18-30, male or female, European or South American preferred. Please speak sufficient English, and I will offer to help your English if you teach me your language in return. Your room will be furnished. We don't drive or own a car, please be accustomed to the subway system. You are not required to do any routine cleaning, housekeeping or cooking... but please be reasonably clean and willing to help out if needed. Smoking is permitted outside the home.

About us: We are a young couple, two artists, new to parenting and expecting our first child early March 2009. I work in graphic design from home, and my husband works full time outside the home. We live in our 2 bedroom apartment in a safe and beautiful part of Brooklyn, very close to the beach and 45 minute commute on train to Manhattan. Our neighborhood is very Russian so if you are coming from that area you will fit in very well.

Living situation: From October 2008 until February 2009 you must pay rent for the room. For this time period there is no baby to look after yet so you can spend your time as you please. After the baby arrives you will work flexible schedule for room. You won't receive pay, however we can help you if you are trying to start a career or find a job. We are looking for the right person, someone down to earth that we can truly get along with. We are especially interested in ambitious people, so if you are coming to New York for school or a career we will have a great relationship. Thanks for your time and good luck!
Original URL: http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/kid/839063430.html
________________________________________________________

Nanny needed (Montreal)
I'm looking for a full time nanny, must be very experienced with children as my baby is under 6 months old. Preferably a student in ECE.The position would be 12pm-6pm daily,Monday-Thursday offering 450/monthly mainly child care and light housekeeping possibly. If you are interested please contact me. Regards
Original URL: http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/kid/839750662.html
_______________________________________________________
Read all of this weeks CL-WTF ads by clicking HERE.

18 comments:

UmassSlytherin said...

Maybe I am missing something, but I cannot see anything wrong with the b-lingual home daycare ad. That is the going rate for home daycare in my own metro area. That is how much home daycare costs. To be honest (and I'll read it again, perhaps I am missing something, it has been a rough week for me) her ad sounds pretty good to me, if home daycare is what you are looking for, providing her house is clean and safe and her background/references check out. I would ask what the ration of adult to child is but to be honest, that is how much home daycare costs in many cities including my own.

Anonymous said...

It might be the going rate where you're at, but it does sound kind of cheap for $30 a day, for 12 hours, and bi-lingual, and she provides breakfast, snacks and lunch? Maybe she just doesn't know what she's worth? That comes out to $2.50 an hour!!

UmassSlytherin said...

30-40 dollars a day for home daycare is indeed standard. Home daycare is not like an hourly-paid job. Those people are her clients, not her employers. Therefore, she is making more than 2.50 per hour. You simply cannot charge a parent a nanny rate when there are more children in the ratio. This is just standard for home daycare. I live in a major U.S. city. I'm sure if you browse home daycares on CL you will find that 30 to 50 per day is the going rate. A person who does home daycare cannot charge 75 dollars a day for one child because they would go out of business. It is a different ballgame than nannying.

Anonymous said...

So the "two artists" basically want someone to live in their home and work for the cost of rent? I know live-in nannies get paid less for that very reason, but how is she supposed to earn any other money if she's going to be working full-time for them? I mean, are they going to feed her? Geez.

Anonymous said...

I see your point umass. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with the Calgary ad. To children in part time school, $840 bi weekly (does that mean you are paid twice a week or once a week but either way), cell phone & health insurance?

Or maybe this was posted because it is amazing to be offered that much? No idea, I was just wondering.

Kelsey said...

Can the people who want to watch children learn how to spell, please!? It drives me insane reading posts like that...It's called spell check people!
I think the "artist" family one is insane. I hope that if someone does accept the job they're able to rely on other resources for income.

Anonymous said...

alex. bi-weekly means every other week she would get paid. My math isn't the best but I think that comes to about $7.25 an hour or close to it.

Anonymous said...

Biweekly actually means twice a month. So you would get paid, for example, every other Friday. So that $840 one comes out to $8.40 per hour, not counting the overtime pay which is required by law!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

bi weekly means you are paid every other week-So the pay is $420 per week.

4:34 PM
RE-POST

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh I feel like an idiot, haha. But why is it not called bi-monthly? I must be stupid, in my current job (not a nanny), I am paid twice a month. But we have just always said every other week, I guess I never thought about what that was actually called.

Kaitlyn and Daniel said...

I always thought that was really dumb too! And I still don't understand it!

Anonymous said...

Re "bi-weekly", here in San Diego there is a show on KPBS radio called "A Way With Words" about language and this word came up recently. Both of the hosts (linguistics experts) agreed it is a stupid word because it is ambiguous. Usually it means every other week, but sometimes it means twice a week. (They said: why not just say 'every other week', or 'twice a week'? It really doesn't take that much longer!)

The NYC thing with the room...well, whether this is a true WTF depends on how many hours they want the person to rent, and they should have said. 12 hours? Even 20 hours? OK then. There are much weirder arrangements in NYC. It is very very expensive to rent an apt. there so this could be a dream arrangement for someone. But if the people who placed the ad want full-time hours, then yeah, that makes no sense.

Anonymous said...

duh, my second paragraph should state "how many hours they want the person to WORK"...not "rent".

sorry

Anonymous said...

I guess we should feel so privileged to live in an artists home. Pay them rent? Don't think so. Even if it's free after taking over charge of their child. How is anyone supposed to pay their bills?

Anonymous said...

BI MONTHLY would be every two months dumb ass.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sasha

bi·month·ly (b-mnthl)
adj.
1. Happening every two months.
2. Happening twice a month; semimonthly.
adv.
1. Once every two months.
2. Twice a month; semimonthly.
n. pl. bi·month·lies
A bimonthly publication. See Usage Note at bi-1.


That's not always a hard and fast rule. dumbass.