Sunday

Rancho San Rafael Park in Reno, NV

Received Sunday, August 5, 2007
Another Great Nanny Sighting in Reno, Nevada Physical description of caregiver:
16-18 years old (hard to tell, she looks like she would be older if she dressed older and made herself up). Short choppy brown hair, glasses, always wearing jacket/sweater even in hot weather. She is maybe around 5'4-5'6"
Physical description of involved child/children:
Little boy, about 2-3 yrs old. Blonde hair, big smile, usually in a hat.
Address or venue of observed incident:
Seen often around Rancho San Rafael park. In the playground, museum, adventure park, and arboretum. (Reno, Nevada)
Date and time of incident:
Quite often. Usually once or twice a week.
Detailed description of what you witnessed:
I have been watching this nanny for a long time now. I've been wanting to post but haven't ever seen Nevada stuff on here. Lately I've seen it and thought I would in case the boys parents do come here too! I used to go to the park Tues-Fri with the children I babysat for. I would see her with the little boy usually once or twice a week.
I talked to her a little but she never really spoke to me or any parents or other babysitters/nannies there. Even when she did, she didn't make eye contact unless she was holding the boy or swinging him, she never took her eyes off him. I did think she was his mother until I heard him calling her by her name and once crying "Talk Mama. See Mama." When he did she made a sympathetic face and took out her cellphone, I guess she called his mom because soon he was talking and smiling and then gave her the phone back and ran to play.
She always had encouraging things to say, and I knew they were there if I heard "Wow! You re such a smart little boy! Great job!"
One thing that sticks out was when there was another family with 3 boys (maybe 8, 5, and 1 or 2). The youngest crawled into her charges stroller and started eating snacks, she had to take her charge off the slide set he was playing on to persuade the other boy to get out of the stroller. The older ones were all over her, trying to wrestle and play and telling her stories of adventures. She kept looking to the parents for help, then seemed to give in and started a game where she and the oldest were tickle monsters chasing the 3 younger ones. her charge seemed wary at first, but she coaxed him into play with the strange kids.
That was months ago, and for the past 3 months or so when other children approach her charge grabs her leg and exclaims "MINE! I love her!" (and she hugs and kisses him and tells him it back.) She always gets loud and fun, like a big kid. Even my charges will leave our game to go join her. Though when her charge says no, she tells the other children "He wants to play alone right now. We'll come back tomorrow though." (I haven't been back there since mid-June though, my own charges relocated so I cant take them to that park.)
Just thought Id put this in! I know its old but I'm sure its just as good for the parents to know!!
Description of vehicle, bag, stroller that may aid in identifying involved caregiver: the stroller was one of the with 2 wheels in back and 1 in front.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Story!!

Anonymous said...

Great post. hope the parents see it!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Nannies like this deserve to be honored. Thanks to the OP for this. It really brightened my day (I'm a nanny and it's important for us to read this sort of thing once in a while).

Anonymous said...

i really enjoyed reading this. thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

What a great post. I'm a parent and I have to say, regardless of what you generally see on this site, most of the nannies I know are kind, loving individuals who recognized their calling is to care for children. It is very reassuring when other parents or nannies I trust let me know my kids are happy with my nanny while I am at work. I make a point of telling parents I know (because I've seen them at school events, on afternoons off, etc) have good nannies that they are lucky to have her. ISYN provides a good service by extending that network beyond just people a family knows personally, but I wish there were more posters who telling about the good nannies, not just the bad. Human nature I guess.

Anonymous said...

That's exactly the kind of person I'd want taking care of my children!

Anonymous said...

Wow. A young person with a good head on her shoulders. You don't hear that much. I would love to have this girl as my childrens nanny! (I wonder how I can find her, LOL).

I do wonder about the jacket thing though.