Wednesday

Question from a Nanny.

Hey guys, I have some questions. I just got offered a position as a nanny for $10/hr for 50 hours a week, after quitting a hospital job 4 months ago. I'll be watching 1 toddler and if i have to watch the other kids (2 more) it will be $13/hr. The family is paying cash off the books. Has anyone else worked off the books? If so was it short term? Did you ever have issues with IRS? If I try to work with an agency later on will they hold it against me that I have no proof of employment, besides the parents' word?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you give us a little more info? What part of the country are you in? What kind of education do you have? But $10 an hour does sound low, and you are right to be worried about the IRS if you do not file any tax returns

OP said...

OP here: I live in New York City and I have a bachelors. Ugh I know I'm selling myself short but I've been out of work for so long! I don't want to settle but technically I have no experience (older than 18 years old or paid) so I feel like I have to start somewhere. Also I don't start for 2 weeks so if I say no this week they still have time to find someone.

Corina said...

I wouldn't do it. You will resent working for such low wages. Look there are some good agencies try Quality Nanny agency and Greenhouse in NYC. I have a position through Quality Nanny on the books. You really need to be on the books. The government is tightening up on people not paying into the system.

Anonymous said...

Minimum wage is $10.50. You should be getting at least minimum wage.

the teaching diva said...

As an agency owner, my advice is be on the books. Long story short: the books are worth the time and effort in the long run. If you apply for a loan, credit, mortgage, etc. or anything where your credit is checked/employment verified, you will need to be paid on the books.

$10 for 50 hours in NYC? I already started making excuses to get off the phone...😃

Anonymous said...

I make $35-40/hour in NYC plus benefits. Please don't take this job.