Thursday

Bad Nanny Sighting Harry Chapin park - Brooklyn, NY

Very unprofessional nanny, put her hand on my child and not in a friendly or helpful way. This event took place at Harry Chapin park which we frequent on a weekly basis.

This nanny was very unprofessional to say the least. She put her hand on my son and that's where I draw the line. I'm all for the village raising a kid but not when you handle a child in a demeaning unfriendly way and trying to yank a truck from under him while yelling at him "why are you playing with both trucks?!!!" this happens right in front of me and I am in utter disbelief that it's really happening. The child in her care runs up to my son to take the truck from him and my three-year old son pushes him away. The child loses his balance and falls on his butt. I walk over to pick him up to make sure he is fine, and he is. As I was about to talk to my son to have him come over to apologize, the nanny goes straight for my son while she's yanking at the truck from under him, she yells at him, "WHY ARE YOU PLAYING WITH BOTH TRUCKS?!!!" when my son wouldn't let go of the truck, she starts yanking at his arm. I tell her "don't to touch my son!" Then she proceeds to yell at me. I'm amazed at how instantly angry she is and I ask her, did my son personally hurt you? While she's hovering on top of me, she starts yelling at me, way too close to my face. She then grabs her child and while carrying him, she yells at me and says, "get that shit under control! Take care of that shit!" I was both flabbergasted and appalled. I should've called the cops but my son was crying and I felt I needed to take ourselves from the situation because she was so angry and getting so close to my face. I took her picture and once she saw me take a picture she decided to take her picture or video of me, She puts her phone very close to my face and my son's face. I do have her name and phone number from a business card she's been passing around to other nannies. Her name is Tara W. When I asked other nannies if they know her, they didn't hesitate to give me her info. So I have her name and number but it doesn't really help me find her employers. I'm told I can file a police report but I would much rather have her employers tell her that she is not allowed to touch other children or speak to any parent or child in a disrespectful manner. She also needs to control her temper and anger and be professional most especially while their son is under her care. It's not healthy for their child or other children to constantly be exposed to so much anger.

I'm also posting in other mommy sites in the neighborhood as well.

Even if she was having a bad day, I don't understand why she thinks it's okay to touch other people's kids that way or speak to anyone in that manner. I'm not sure what else to do.



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you get her permission to take her picture?

Leigh Raymer said...

Anonymous - welcome to the sight. I do not know if the Original Poster got permission to take the picture but I would guess not as the picture indicates a negative situation with a child. The present ISYN owners are not the original but we do adhere to some of their original protocols. One feature of this sight is that people are encouraged to take pictures of ANY child care providers doing a perceived bad job or a good job in regards to a child - it does not have to be a nanny, it can be anybody. Yes, some readers have expressed concern and unhappiness that the name of the blog is "i saw your nanny" but the original owner named it that and it just stuck.

Permission is not needed legally in this country to take a picture and print it in the media - you can take a pic of just about anything or anyone and print it in the newspaper, in a blog, on tv, cable etc.

This is the Information Age where just about everything you do is being filmed or recorded by cameras, cell phones, and more.

If anyone sees anyone not doing right to a child - OR - doing wonderfully with a child - take a pic and send it here, or just tell us the story - we are not going away!!

Taleia said...

I understand publishing pictures of perceived "bad" childcare providers (not saying I agree. But I do get the rationale), but I really dislike publishing the good nanny sightings if permission was not obtained to take a photo. Information age or not, if someone is not doing anything wrong this feels like an invasion of privacy for no good reason. Could we get you to reconsider this policy?

Taleia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

*site

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately in this country you can take a picture of anyone anywhere public and post it anywhere you like. Unless this nanny was in a place where she has a reasonable expectation of privacy, she has no rights when it comes to her picture being published. It doesn't make it right, and I personally don't condone that this site does it. I assume the story is true, but what if it's not? What if the poster doesn't like this nanny and is trying to slander her? There's no way to know for sure. That's why I don't think it's appropriate to publish pictures.

Taleia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leigh Raymer said...

Taleia - ( that's a really pretty name btw) I myself have taken many of the good nanny sighting pics as I work with kids and every time the nanny is very happy to have good work acknowledged and a couple of them did not mind having the child in the photograph. We have made a change though - I told my blog manager not to post a subject's entire name and not to post a child's name henceforth.

Anon. - there was once we thought a story was fishy and did not post it, and if any subject ever contacts us to refute a story at the very least we would print their response, so far no one has. Although - years ago with the original blog owner a DAD wrote in to say they were happy with their nanny even though a negative submission was written here.

I can understand the concern about vulnerability to cameras these days - I am always aware of it while with kids - appearance matters, but it's just the way it is and ultimately on this blog the children come first - if someone is not doing right to a child all is fair game even though we all are not perfect

thank you to everyone for reading!

Anonymous said...

Its been a week and a half with no new posts. Is this really what the blog has become? It's not even worth checking it anymore. I'm really sad to see that the current owners have completely destroyed this blog. And before you say "we get hundreds of hits a day!" That's great and all, but without content, no one is going to bother to keep coming back and this will die. Is it bad management or is no one submitting posts anymore?

Leigh Raymer said...

Thank you anon. - you may be happy to see that we just put several things up. It goes in spurts. There is a problem of some sort with the gmail which was causing me, the owne, to not get the submissions while the blog manager s.s. was having a well deserved vacay at her beach house. Her husband forbade her to even TALK to me let alone attend to the blog - for about a week and 1/2. I would say that I would thrash him but I think he might like it!

I hope you comment on some of the new posts!!

Anonymous said...

I think you should find a way to talk to the parents without publishing the picture. And remember not everything is what it appears to be from one meeting.

Anonymous said...

Exactly. We had a situation similar to what you have described recently and are taking legal action.

Anonymous said...

I do encourage protecting children, but lately the nanny police has been over zealous. As far as legal rights to publish suspicions of neglect, google the lawsuit which granted the person who did not allow the photo to be published several thousand dollars. Unless a child is being hit , I think there are alternative methods to speak with the parents.