Wednesday

Pay Rate/arrangement responsibilities

Hello, I'm a SHM in Greenwich, CT and have a 14 month old baby. She'll be starting school in Jan for 3.5hrs in the morning 5 days a week. We've had a mommy's helper since she was 3 months due to some health issues I have - pay rate $20/hr. The girls I've worked with (2) are great. Hard working and will do almost anything to help me around the house - including taking out the kitchen garbage, household dishes, and unpacking packages in addition to housekeeping directly related to the baby. They are however not 'experienced' nanny's and I would not feel comfortable leaving them alone with the baby for more than a few hours a day. I'm considering going back to work FT. If I do, I'd like an experienced nanny. My question is, what is the typical pay rate/arrangement in the region and what are the typical responsibilities?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I am a nanny living in Stamford, and I know the rate for 1 child is typically from 15-20 an hour. I would charge 16 an hour, and charge extra for any extra work that you would need done such as light housekeeping, or running errands. But if you did pay 20, that is a great rate.

Anonymous said...

I'm not super familiar with your area, but if you're paying a mother's helper $20, I'd maybe start a nanny off at $22 and then go up from there as their contract renews. And really wish all the extra work I would almost just consider it a household management position vs a nanny.

Unknown said...

20 an hour for a starting out nanny is great. Just please make periodic adjustments for inflation and performance.

NiqueKristan said...

Everyone has to start somewhere. An experienced nanny had to get her experience with her first family. I'd implore you to consider one (or both) of your mothers helpers to be your nanny.

mandynanny said...

I agree w above, if you trust them for a few hours why not a whole day?
Maybe have them "shadow" you for a 9 or 10 hour day a few times,and see how you feel about it . baby's require so much energy and patience. You'll get a vibe from the nanny usually after a few days if it's a fit or not also some babies won't go to just anyone. So if you do hire out I'd give it a month or even longer before you find someone that is a good fit.They should be as similar to your parenting style as possible or at least willing to do things as you would like . definitely set up some rules about CIO method,etc and what you're ok with.
I think 20 an hour is a great starting point that's what I ask in CA (Tri-Valley)-but I'm not expected to do any house work or laundry. Just care for the baby and go on play dates.Shes 16 months now and very active! I do make her lunch and clean up afterwards,of course.