Monday

UPDATE on Nanny Generals Needed to Outline Leaving Campaign

I posted last week about how I got my dream job and was very afraid to quit my current nanny job because my MB is unreasonable and we have a cruise coming up. Well, today was the day I gave my notice. She took it better than expected- said she was disappointed and that she could tell something was up. I still have (almost) 3 full weeks left with them so this should be interesting. She did not mention the cruise so I'm hoping that means she's ok with me not going and won't try to charge me or something ridiculous. I still don't feel like I'm free and clear yet but I'm so relieved! I told her I was leaving for a more consistent schedule. What I really wanted to say is that I'm leaving because you treat me like dirt, you teach your children to look down on "poor people", you change my schedule every other day without remorse, you're a SAHM who does everything in her power to avoid your children, you refuse to come home until the kids are asleep even when they are crying for you, etc, etc, etc This is my exit from childcare. I want to say to all you career nannies out there that I have so much respect for you. This is a tough and sometimes thankless job and it takes an amazingly strong person to dedicate their life to raising other people's children. You rock! I guess it just wasn't for me. Goodbye All and best of luck in your nanny adventures!

10 comments:

nc said...

I never understood why people like that have kids. Why have them when you are a SAHM who is never around? I understand if you're working, but if you do everything in your power to stay away from them? Why? Good luck with your new position!

Corina said...

Easy NC

They marry a wealthy man. Have some of his kids. She is then set for life, even if divorced.

Unknown said...

And that makes it ok to be a shitty, no good, narcissistic, selfish, self-absorbed mother just because she's "set for life"?. Girl, get your priorities straight. Children should become before money and you should never have them just to enhance your bank roll. Wow!! I'm hoping I took your comment wrong, Corina.

NannySharp said...

Thank you OP for your words regarding how it takes amazing and strong individuals to work in the nanny-ing field. I couldn't agree more. I hope your last few weeks on the job go smoothly. And good luck in your new position!

Corina said...

Yes, you did take my comment wrong, Kara. I am stating what I have seen being in the childcare field (20 years plus). Most moms are awesome! But I have dealt with moms like this. Locking themselves in their rooms. While kids cried for them. Yelling at them to go away.. Kids craving their mothers attention. It made me feel so sad, because the mom could be home but made themselves "invisible". Parents that had help 24/7. It does exist with SAHM's. Majority no, but there are a few like this.

I had a mother yell at me on the phone. The reason I let her baby go to sleep too early. Yes a 3 month old was not supposed to sleep at such and such time. I tried to stick to that schedule. But the baby was not having it that night. Yes, I tried everything to keep her up a little longer. But to no avail. Poor baby was just exhausted. I called the parents to let them know how the night was going with the baby and toddler. Dad was okay with it. The mom calls back yelling. That her nanny doesn't work on Sunday. What was she going to do. Can you imagine! She was a SAHM too! I lost my temper on the phone and told them I am not going to let their infant cry so hard. To the point she is under emotional stress. That night the dad apologized and slipped me an extra $100.00

Sorry so long. I am a mom too. I can't imagine not spending time with my son. Doing arts and crafts. Going to mommy and me play times. Just being together. They grow so fast!,

Taleia said...

Pretty sure Corina isn't condoning this behavior... just explaining why people like that have kids. Not okay, but It happens.

KnoxvilleNanny said...

Congratulations on landing your dream job, OP! I definitely understand your frustrations and feelings of being "done" in child care. I love working with children but will likely find another career after my current contract ends because of parents.

Leigh Raymer said...

corina - there was a NYPD blue episode with Lucy Liu playing the nanny that is taken from exactly your description - she accidently injured the baby trying to keep it awake - the episode showed how horrible the parents were

Corina said...

Oh really Leigh. I love Law and Order. Is it a new one or old one? But I never injured the baby. I just couldn't stand to see her cry hysterical. The only thing she wanted to do was go to sleep. Maybe they thought I didn't want to bother with the baby. But not the case.

Leigh Raymer said...

I looked it up - not law and order - New York PD Blue season one episode 17 "The Wrenching" Lucy Liu did one heck of a good acting job - she played "amy chu" an immigrant who could barely speak english who loved the baby more than her own life and kept a book detailing every minute of the baby's life ----but--the horrible parents forbid her to let the baby sleep as they wanted the baby to sleep when they got home. So the baby got hurt as she had to shake him to keep him awake. The parents kept trying to justify themselves being entitled horrible people - really good acting and writing. It's an old episode from the 90's. Liu is one of the most articulate and active performers around and she plays a traumatized nanny who can barely talk.