Thursday

Things I'd Advise Against #3

I am the employer of a nanny who has worked for our family for ten months. The nanny's mother recently went through a colon cancer scare, chemotherapy and now has a clean bill of health. The mother was a housekeeper at a finer estate in the city, where she lived with her employers so I know she was first rate.

I know the family has had a lot of bills and things to deal with. I get the sense that the mother isn't up to returning to full time work. I wanted to offer the nanny's mother the chance to clean for us 1-3 times per week. I know she was paid different wages in the city. I live in White Plains and have a more modest home. In the past we have paid a service to come in once every two weeks for a heavy cleaning at $110. I was thinking of offering her $150 a week for three half days per week? I'm hoping this would help us with our house but could also help her get some of her bills in order and perhaps even through word of mouth, I would be able to refer her services out to other clients.

Should I be concerned about employing a mother and daughter? I don't want to feel like a stranger in my home or like they have more control.

Share your ideas with isynblog@gmail.com.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

$150/week for three times a week is insulting. Pass.

STAHP said...

My house cleaners charge 180 for two hours of cleaning. Just admit that you're scum and want to take advantage of your nanny's relative.150 for three days deep cleaning? Are you nuts?

Anonymous said...

This woman was politely asking for an opinion, not an insult. Size of home and number of hours is part of the equation.

Thirty something said...

In NY, that's about 5 hours worth of cleaning. Certainly not 3 mornings.

STAHP said...

No matter the size, 150 for 3 days is highway robbery! This op is a cheap, opportunistic POS! The relative is dealing with enough and does not need scavengers picking at her bones.

Unknown said...

People!! She's just trying to help the best she can! Cut her a break...no need to insult her!!

Anonymous said...

$25 hour, so if four hours three times a week, $300. You are way off. She would be doing you a favor. I wouldn't insult her.

Anonymous said...

She's not trying to help! She's pouncing on an opportunity! Someone wanting to help, would ask "What is your rate for 3 mornings a week?"

RBTC said...

kara ivey is a voice of reason - there are supposed to be many people on here whose passion and job setting an example for children yet they are harsh and name calling to the Ops - not cool

it's a low rate of money for the work - but for some people working with a family member picking up some exta dough - you would be lucky to get someone good or even good enough at that rate - keep us posted

Anonymous said...

Oh here comes RBTC AKA as Captain Save a Ho! You are the most annoying poster in the history of annoying posters! Are you employed by the Sunshine Police? Stop trying to parent posters. It's not your business how people post or respond!

* Yes, I get the irony of me telling her/him to stop parenting when I'm parenting her/him. S/he's just frackking annoying!

Unknown said...

It's so interesting how some people get when they sit behind a screen and are, "anonymous". Would you be so insulting in person? What is soooooo wrong with being nice to other people???

Emma said...

I don't think being nice is a problem. Obs I'm not a psychopath, but I think telling other grown up people to be nice is a little ridic. I mean, just because we nanny children doesn't mean we should nanny adults.

And some posters do it all the time. It can get out of hand. The world isn't made up of caramel drops and cotton candy. If you cannot handle people disagreeing with you or using impolite words than you should probably not internet.

I also get the impression that some posters are older and they have expectations of social niceties that just don't mesh with today's fast paced world.

Blunt speech doesn't bother me in the least, but being told to play nice is beyond aggravating!

Unknown said...

I bet you are between 18-22 years old and have been very hurt in your life...at least you come off that way. Try not to be so immature and jaded. It might make you a happier and most trustful person

Emma said...

Wrong on all counts. I've had a pretty kick a%% life! Feel free to believe what you will.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I will and I do...you come off as very immature and very hurt.