Wednesday

The Sou Chef

I am a nanny for a family in CT. This fall, the oldest child started first grade. I am home the rest of the day with a very demanding two year old. Keeping the house organized and keeping the child occupied including lots of appointments and classes for the kid keeps me busy.

Here's the sitch, which has become a problem.

In late summer, I decided to start eating healthy. I went on Pinterest and got a bunch of meal ideas. I started bringing salad to work in a jar. After some time, my boss took note of this. She asked me to make her one. Fine. Then another. Fine. Now I make her one every day plus, two on Friday for the weekend.

Can I just say, my salad was simple-tomato, red pepper, ham slices and lettuce.

She wants all of these things, in a complicated arrangement. I have to go out and buy these things which adds time on to my shopping routine and then cut, clean and process these foods. An example:
strawberry, blueberry, spinach, iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumber and avocado. Now, if I was making that for myself, it would be different because I would make the same thing for a few days in a row. But she asked me for this tomorrow. chicken breast, ("can you grill it on the grill this afternoon?"), bean sprouts, iceberg lettuce, shredded cheese, hominy, red pepper, green pepper and yellow pepper. And always with different dressings,

She continuously compliments me on my creations and creativity. She messages me during the day when she thinks of a combination. Even though the house is well stocked, I find myself having to go out for certain things on a regular basis.

She tells all of her friends how wonderful I am and how I have saved her and how she has more energy and feels great, how I am her "right hand", the best nanny and helper a person could have.

So how do I say...I'm over making you freaking salads?

No, but for real.

Email your stories and situations to isynblog@gmail.com.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Next time she asks you to make one, tell her that you are glad that she likes them, but you just can't keep doing them.
Tell her that you enjoy doing little things to help her out because you love working for them and want to show that, but at the same time it is seriously adding to your work, and it is no longer a nicety but rather time consuming, (taking time from her kid,) and not part of the agreed upon job duties. It is no longer a little helping now and then. It is you shopping for, prepping, cooking, and assembling her meals for seven days a week. If it is something that you would be happy to do if compensated , (cooking and meal prep is a huge add on for me,) then just tell her. Be nice but put it back on her. Give her a choice and let her pay for it or stop doing it.

Anonymous said...

*sous

Penny said...

Can you write out your recipes for her? Does she pay extra for all this work?

I get being excited about a good salad! They're freaking awesome, but I don't make my nanny prepare them.

Another idea would be to join Amazon Fresh. All of the veggies can be delivered to her doorstep. If she gets an amazing idea at three a.m. they can have it over asap.

That plus recipes can cut your burden. I can't think of a way to tell her no that won't risk your job

Penny said...

I meant for her to join and pay, obviously. Not you

RBTC said...

penny's idea is great! a good word to use is "alternative" as in " i appreciate your enthusiasm about my salads but i really love janie and i need to have more time to pay attention to her. I have researched alternatives - amazon etc" use her child's name - janie - in the conversation

let us know what happens

nannyrobot said...

Yes, go with the Amazon Fresh idea from Penny. Suggest it to your boss and explain that while you love helping out, you're so tired and you don't have time during your work day but you would still love to do it for her. Explain that it takes X amount of hours and you would love to put her weeks salads together for her every Sunday and she can add those hours to your weekly pay.