Thursday

What's Good for the Goose

     I'm really mad right now. My boss told me if I take one month of maternity leave only they will pay for the first two months of childcare. I was going to use this daycare that she found for me which is near my job. Now my Mom says she can come from Jamaica and stay here at the house for two months which make things even better for me. My boss told me, "Yes that's great but I am not paying YOUR MOTHER." She wants me to leave my new baby after four weeks and was okay to pay a stranger money and now my Mom says she will do it and at the house so I don't have to bother with getting the child ready and dressed and everything. She's acting like I'm trying to pull something over her eyes when she is the one who cannot live without me taking care of her children. Do you see the problem here? She's saying her children are worth not interrupting their life as much as possible but a newborn baby of mine just throw to the wolves. What would you do about this?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand where your coming from but I also understand her. Have you asked her why she feels that way? A lot of the time grandparents care for their grandkids for free. Not all can afford that but maybe she feels like you would just be banking extra for yourself?? It's nice that they have agreed to that. I will not be paid any maternity time as far as I know and my bosses surely won't pay anything for my child to be cared for.

Me! said...

wow! She's not a nice person! Can she give you the daycare money as a bonus or rate increase? The second option is better as it will be nicer to make more money. Are you open to looking elsewhere for work? Maybe another family where you could take your baby to work with you. Like a nanny share, you'll make a little less,but also will not have daycare fees.

nannyrobot said...

Although it's not quite fair, I see where she is coming from, but you should still get what you were promised. Tell her you would like to reserve those two free months for after your mom leaves. Everybody wins.

heather B said...

I would be mad too!
Most people get 6-8 weeks PAID leave.
I am guessing you are taking all of your 4 weeks off without pay?
Even if you are being paid for your four weeks off, you should still be paid for being off for the next two! When I work my vacation time, I get PAID for it double. That is after all, the INCENTIVE for working vacation time. And you are planning to leave a little baby??? I feel you!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure where you live but, I too, am a nanny and live in MN. We do not have paid maternity leave (like we should.) I started nannying for the family I am working for now when they knew I was pregnant and they knew the only way I was going to work for them was if I could bring my son with me. They agreed to a 6 weeks unpaid leave but also paid me my unused vacation time before I left too. I worked until I was 41 1/2 weeks and actually got 8 weeks off due to an emergency c-section. Now, is it an easy task to care for a 4 year old, 2 1/2 year old and my own 1 year old son? Hell no, every day is hard. But I'm not going to take care of someone else's kids while someone else takes care of mine. If you she doesn't want to compromise then, if I were you, I would not work for her.

Anonymous said...

If I were you, I think I would eventually leave her. It's clear that she does not value you as a person. She sees you as just her employee. If she cared about you as mother, she would not have an issue with paying for your mother to take care of the baby while you work. I highly doubt she would want a complete stranger taking care of her newborn baby. It's selfish hypocrisy and I would leave after you settle. Look for other jobs.

this_nick said...

Not a good person or boss.

Anonymous said...

I would quit and say F You. She doesn't care about your children, only her own.