Tuesday

Nanny Needs Remarkable Resumé

OPINION
I am looking for some ways to become a more professional nanny. I love my current family, but it is part time and will never be enough hours. I am tired of having to piece more than one family together in order to put food on the table, many times working well over 50 hours but without the benefits of one full time family. I feel like I am ready to go from nanny job to nanny career. I have an extensive background in childcare. My mother ran an in home daycare in which I helped with many activities. When I was 21 I got my first nanny job. I am now 36 and I have watched over 25 children. I have many amazing references and I am CPR/First aid certified.

What I'm looking for now, are suggestions of affordable ways to make my resume stand out even more. I've looked at online nanny training and I can't find anything that looks like it isn't a scam. I do have some college under my belt, but not in early childhood development. I know some certifications require this. What would all of you recommend? I want prospective families to realize that this is my chosen career, that I take it seriously and that I am a professional. I don't plan on making any changes until the middle of next summer. I am not opposed to going back to school, either. I just can't afford it right now. Thanks for any advice! - Anonymous

5 comments:

bostonnanny said...

create a website and portfolio to go along with your resume. I would have as many families possible write you a reference to add to the portfolio. Next step would be to get a lifeguard certificate, volunteer with children, be certified in infant massage(trains you to be an instructor), and serve safe certified.
If you join NAEYC, they have workshops for cheap that are geared for teachers.

Calanna said...

I found that when I got creative, my results were much better. In addition to a perfect cover letter, I included links to a couple of google docs for prospective employers to read. They were:

- my own "day in the life" of a nanny, so they could get a feel for how I spent my time with my charges

- a sample monthly lesson plan -- and I use that term lightly. It is simply a spreadsheet that shows, each day, how I plan to incorporate the various categories of activities such as, small muscle, large muscle, field trip, free play, language, music, art, etc.

This way, parents could really get a feel for how I operate as a nanny and if it appeals to them, they eagerly contact me. If not, I move on.

Nay The Nanny said...

Both of the PPs ideas are awesome!!! For my interviews, I put a packet together including my resume/references, recommendation letters, academic records, cpr/first aid certification proof and a business card. :) Also made a website which definitely helped in proving that I am serious about what I do. Good luck!

Get creative said...

A perfect individualized cover letter, with the resume and a photo album filled with twenty puls years of preschool activities (always take photos of fun and creative things you do with children) and nanny families. I save Christmas cards and thank you cards put them in the album too, they serve as heartfelt reference letters. Interviews can be awakard, but parents have always enjoyed seeing the photos and it's instant validation of my job history!

TEFL teacher said...

I am not certified either. I got 1500 dollar certificate that makes me a professional TEFL teacher (after 150 hours of instruction and 20 hours of practicum).
Technically you are a teacher. To get a job in another country with that certificate as a native Eng. speaker is easy. To get a job in the USA as a TEFL teacher requires a Master's degree.

But, this certificate helped me learn how to write and teach lesson plans. I can work in other countries and teach children English.It is a tough job if you are an actual TEFL teacher but having that in your resume attracts foreign families or families who do not necessarily favor the American institutionalized way of childcare..