Friday

Lincoln Park in Washington DC

Received Friday, May 23, 2008
nanny sighting logo Lincoln Park, Capitol Hill, Washington DC. While at the playground today, (5/23) I noticed your approximately 18 month old daughter nearly walk out of the playground, unbeknownst to your nanny, who had her back turned to her, talking to another friend of hers. You may want to talk with your nanny -- she was on her phone for quite some time, and didn't seem very attentive to your daughter. I was mostly concerned that your child nearly escaped the playground. I myself picked her up and asked who she belonged to. The park is lined by major streets, so it is very unsafe for such a small child to be wandering around. Your daughter has very curly blonde hair (shortish), pale skin and had on pink and purple clothing (lightweight cotton type of clothing). Your nanny had a white hoodie on, dark pants, and was black, perhaps partially hispanic, with a medium to light skin tone, and dark curly hair pulled into a pony tail.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well. Since nobody has touched this one in 6 hrs., I think I'll break it in.
OP, I'm glad you stepped in to help the little girl. However, I'm actually surprised the Nanny didn't 'snap' at you for picking up the child.
I know you were doing the right thing, who knows what could've happened ... but most people would flip out if a stranger picked up their kid.
So, what does this tell me?
That this Nanny must be extremely detached from this little girl ... and that is very sad.

Thank you for posting, and I really hope her Parents find out what happened.

Kate K. said...

I really hope her parents see this too.......you're right on MPP!!! Good post, OP! Poor little girl. :o(

Anonymous said...

OP here: I happened to be chasing my kids near where she was escaping, and picked her up mostly out of reflex. I agree with you that it is odd that she wasn't bothered by it in the least.

Anonymous said...

I cannot count the number of times I've wanted to do personal shopping, banking, or make a call on my cell to chat with a friend in the middle of the day but I couldn't and didn't because I was busy doing my JOB! Paying attention to the sweet little girls I take care of during the week.
Personal stuff can be done on the weekends.
Pay attention to your charges, protect them and love them, or get out of the business!

UmassSlytherin said...

Good job, OP. Thankfully you were there to step in before something (God forbid) happened to the poor little kid.

Anonymous said...

This is so common among both moms and nannies. It's like people get to the park and think ah, I don't have to watch my kids for a while.

I recently had a birthday party for my daughter in the park and there was a mom there who was not watching her kids at all, just gabbing. My husband had to run at top speed and pull her daughter out of the busy street, where she had run some 300 feet from our party location. The mom didn't notice a thing.

People rely on the kindness of strangers, and it irks sometimes when you feel like if you let *your* guard down, someone else's kid is going to get hurt, b/c their own caregiver is clueless. I am all for 'it takes a village', but do your share, people. Don't come to a park and assume other parents will take care of the kids YOU are responsible for.