Wednesday

Playground off Inner Lake Shore in Chicago, Illinois

Received Wednesday, September 5, 2007
Bad nanny sighting at playground off Inner Lake Shore, just south of Belmont (Chicago)Nanny is mid-thirties to mid-forties, dirty-blonde hair. Child is four years old, olive complexion (not sure if he's Asian or Latino or some combination of Caucasian and one of these--he is a beautiful little boy, shiny dark-brown, straight hair), and absolutely in love with tractors. We go to this park quite a bit and have seen them numerous times and always been appalled. The nanny shows up, sends the boy to the sandbox with his tractors, and goes to the opposite end of the park to gossip with a (nanny?) friend of hers, also blondish, and the boy's nanny sits with her back to the park. The child in her care could just get up and walk out of the park and she wouldn't even notice, or he could be abducted, or hurt, and she wouldn't even know. He is somewhat of a bully in the sandbox--doesn't share, taunts other kids with his toys, and has actually tried to steal my son's cars a few times (as in, says they are his and walks away with them, until we question him and show him that my son's name is written on his cars--my son is only 2). Anyway, this is not to blame the boy at ALL, but just an illustration of the type of thing that a good caregiver would have taught him not to do, or could intervene if he did do, but she has no idea b/c she's not paying attention. Especially when another child's parent is talking to a child, you would think she would come over and see what the problem is/protect her kid. Just terrible negligence, and I'd hate to think that the parents think they've got a wonderful nanny who is helping their son learn manners and how to get along in the world, because she's doing nothing but leaving him to fend for himself. If she's like this in public, I wonder what she does when they're at home--watch tv?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

And, once again, since you clearly know who this nanny is-have you ever thought of being an adult and going up to her and saying "I am sorry-but your child is trying to take my child's toys-maybe you can speak with him"?

Anonymous said...

Hey hey,
I'm not op or or. I am not a nanny and I've never been a nanny. I don't have a nanny and I've never had a nanny. But I would sooner approach a NYC pile driver and ask him to pipe down than I would approach a NY nanny.

And this post is in Chicago, another big metropolis. So I am guessing the nannies are equally ferocious.

Anonymous said...

I can't stand when Chi-town bad nannies make the good ones, like me
; ), look bad!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't care if she was 250 and 6 feet tall, I would not allow another child to take my child's toys or otherwise engage him improperly without bringing it to the nanny's attention.

Anonymous said...

1:23 PM
You may not have spent a lot of time in a big city playground. It is futile to speak to a nanny who is ignoring her charges, not teaching them manners and sharing. The park bench nannies DON'T CARE!
Believe me, I've tried. The best you can do is talk to the child who is hitting, throwing sand etc. as the OP did. If that doesn't work, go with your children to another area.
NYC Nanny

Anonymous said...

This is 1:23 pm poster here:

I happen to live in one of the 5 boroughs of NYC-whether it would get me anywhere or not, if a child was taking my child's things away repeatedly-I would speak to whomever is in charge of that child-whether it be a parent, older sibling or a nanny sitting on her fat ass.

Anonymous said...

Hi, OP here. Yes, I have tried to speak to the nanny, thanks for asking. She feigns not speaking English (I fail to see how this can be totally the case, since the child speaks English--she might be rusty, but surely she speaks more than she lets on). Anyway, when I approached her she had no way of knowing I was coming to complain, so maybe she really doesn't speak English. Who knows. But I did try. And honestly, I was worried about even doing that, for fear she would take it out on the child later. You just never know. I was pretty firm with the kid about stealing my son's toys--took the place of a responsible adult and tried to teach him about sharing and not fibbing, but you know, there's only so much you can do.

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing, OP. That is all we can do and then, let the chips fall where they may.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I came across this site and was reading some of the issues that people have seen Nannies doing while on the job.

Do the Employers of the Nannies know of this website so they can check to see if it is a Nannie they have hired? I haven't seen any postings from the Employers saying; Hey, that may be my Nanny, Thanks for the Heads Up, I'll check that out." hmmm

I see a lot of people getting off track of the original conversation in some on the postings and actually criticizing others that had nothing to do with the incident at all.

I think this could be a an even greater site to those who have Nanny's employed, if it was used for the purpose intended. I know if I had a Nanny watching my child I would want to know about some of the things that I have read here.

Of course just because it is written here doesn't necessarily mean it's true but at least it would give us a heads up to check it out and rectify the situation.

Anonymous said...

8:42: enough people know of this site for it to be prodcutive. There have been occsional postings by parents who want more info on a siting, etc, but I doubt anyone would want it braodcast that they are the ones who hired this louse of a nanny.

Anonymous said...

8:42...I just noticed that ifyou read the next posting there is a comment from someone claiming to be the nanny's employer. This was a good siting, but still great that the parents found it.

Anonymous said...

???? what the heck was that

Anonymous said...

Okay Shaun...#1 Lovely as you may be, this is not a dating service.

#2 The use of the word "young" as opposed to "old" in describing your age would be enough to count you out as a potential date or employee. That is sooooo annoying. You are 34-years-OLD. Face it!

#3 If you want to ask her out, just do it already. What's the worst that will happen? She'll say no? Oh well, then you'll know and you can move on to more imnportant things.

Anonymous said...

A good PARENT would have taught him not to do so.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shaun

Theres a single mother in my apartment, shes looking for a young stud muffin like yourself. Do you want her number??

Anonymous said...

Hey Stud

Where are you hiding, your sexy self??

Anonymous said...

Shaun...9:03 here. Sorry your date turned out badly, but at least now you know. As far as dinner...lovely thought, but I am married with two kids and living in Michigan. Best of luck to you though!