Monday

Van Saun Park in Paramus, NJ

Received Monday, July 9, 2007
This is the second time I am sending this in.
On Thursday (7/5) afternoon at about three pm, I was at the Van Saun playground with the child for who I am a nanny. I witnessed this nanny behavior. The nanny had a water bottle/squirt bottle and she was misting herself with it. She had a little girl in a stroller with auburn, kinky hair that was in the stroller but grabbing out of the stroller. The little girl clearly wanted out of the stroller. The nanny would spray the child when she grabbed at her. First I thought the nanny was just playing with her. I was a ways away when I first noticed this. When I passed by closer, I realized the nanny was doing it to be mean and snickering about it with the nanny/person she was sitting next to. I am not sure if it was a nanny or just a friend. I think it could have been a friend because I didn't see any other child with them. When they decided to go, they left together. But the nanny said to the other one, I better put her on the swings before we go. When the child was out on the swings, she was very happy and smiling. She has fair skin and was wearing tiny little rubber trendy shoes with jean shorts with a flower applique and a white & red striped shirt. Before the whole time they were there, the child was just stuck in her stroller. The stroller was light blue with a grey body. It sat at a weird angle where the little girl was kind of at a 45 degree angle and also she was higher up in the stroller than most. Maybe it is a new style? The little girl was probably 18 months-26 months.
The nanny who was taking care of the child was Hispanic. She looked to be from Peru with straight, dark hair, a very flat face and nose., mid twenties. She was on the shorter side and closer to thin than she was too heavy. Her friend was also Hispanic, same age range, but darker complected. She had wavy hair, wore makeup and was wearing a tight blue shirt with tight pants and was chunky. If she was a nanny, I don't think she was working that day. The water bottle she had with her that she was squirting the kid in the face with was solid pink with nothing on it. And when she did it, I could see when closer the little girl was while not crying making noises that showed she didn't like it but the two of them were snickering every time. I had my cellphone camera and wanted to snap a picture of the two women but I just couldn't get the nerve up.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

So immature to laugh at a child's expense. Why bring a child that age to the playground anyway? Don't you think the parent assumes the child is brought to the playground to play? Poor thing, maybe she was used to mommy bringing her and mommy parks the stroller and gets her out.

Anonymous said...

^^^To be clear, my point is to bring a child that age to the playground is for the child to be out of the stroller and playing.

Anonymous said...

Good on you for posting this, but if you see something like this again you should definitely say something. I don't think I could have restrained myself. Simply say, "please do not squirt that child in the face. Who do you work for?"

That should stop the behavior and let them know that they are being observed.

Anonymous said...

to 1:57,
I envy you. I find it to easy to restrain myself. I wish I were that kind of person. The world would be different if everyone was.

Anonymous said...

I think that is horrible. That nanny should be fired! I hope to God the parents read this!
-a babysitter and a parent

Anonymous said...

1:57pm: Maybe OP was concerned for her own charge. You never know some people will do to you and your charge when they are ticked off, especially when you are outnumbered three to two. Very sad situation. I'd probably just follow at a safe distance in order to determine where she works, then give a note to the doorman (if there's one) to give to the child's parents. Maybe not the best option, but certainly safe.

I was on a bus a few years ago, when I witnessed a young woman (riff-raff type) hitting her approximately three year old son while on a city bus. I looked sternly at her, and when the child noticed my look he seemed relieved and wanted to come to me. The woman screamed on top of her voice at her son while motioning violently at me "you think she can save you! huh! what'you think she gonna do huh!" This woman clearly was willing to start a fist fight with me (with me in a business suit). I did't feel like getting clawed with four inch nails. Thankfully my stop came and I got off, leaving the woman ranting.

Anonymous said...

This siting makes me sad (as so many do on this site.) I get so tired of hearing stories about nannies who sound like they truly thrive off of being cruel to their charges. So pointless to spray the little girl, and she seems to get such pleasure from being so needlessly mean! I wish parents would witness this behavior, really makes me second guess ever using a nanny (sorry to all the good nannies out there.)

OP or any one else, If you ever witness something like this again, get close to the nanny pretend to fiddle with your cell phone (trying to read a text message etc) you can even stand off to the side kind of behind the nanny (where you are pretty much out of her vision) and click the darn picture! I've gotten really good at clicking pictures without any one noticing...and I even witnessed a crime one time and helped the attacker get caught with my cell phone picture (which I took from a safe distance (I pretended to be too involved with my cellphone to notice the crime) from behind while pretending to have problems with my cell phone!!)

Anonymous said...

I don't know if my last sentence was coherent haha I meant to say I took the photo from the side almost behind teh attacker (I was a ways a way and pretending to be very enthralled with my cellphone and not aware of any thing else going around me) he looked back one time (there was a lot of people around (it was at a bus stop) and every one was looking the other way (out of fear) I was still looking at my cellphone clicking buttons...as soon as he turned back around and continued to beat the other man I clicked the photo, walked a way in the opposite direction and called 911.

Anonymous said...

a sadistic nanny brute who needs to have her a** kicked.

Anonymous said...

Are you frekin kidding me? People are outraged because the nanny sprayed water on the child? Like the poster said the child was not showing any signs of being upset. Maybe next time pay attention to your own charge.

Anonymous said...

11:37 are you crazy....next time we will spray water in your eyes..come on...its very wrong ...this nannie reporting sounds great...
11:37 hope you are NOT a nanny..dont sound to stable...

Anonymous said...

1137-"I could see when closer the little girl was while not crying making noises that showed she didn't like it but the two of them were snickering every time"

While not crying-the little girl was making noises that showed she DID NOT like it.

Reading comprehension check???

Anonymous said...

AND the nannies were snickering at a two-year-olds discomfort! Juvenile at least. Sadistic, more like.

Anonymous said...

I have noticed the sadistic behavior reported here pertaining to many nannies lately. Are they taking their resentments with regard to their jobs out on these innocents?

Anonymous said...

That's sure what it sounds like. Reminds me of my cousin who used to babysit at home years ago...she haed the mom, so she was so mean to this sweet baby. Mostly just neglectful, but called her names an clearly favoured the other kids. Sick and sad.

Anonymous said...

"hated" the mom...sorry

Anonymous said...

I think you should have taken the picture and written down the plate number on the car and given it to the police. Abuse and negelect there's no difference and the child's parents should be made aware of whats going on!