Wednesday

Unattended Children in the grocery store...

Received Wednesday, June 6, 2007
On Sunday evening, in Hunt Valley/ Cockeysville, Maryland, I witnessed the following at The Giant on York and Shawan roads at around 5:00 pm. There was a woman with two children. A girl who looked to be around 7 (give or take a year) and her name was Brooke. She had beautiful eyes and long brown stragly hair. She also had a little brother with brown hair. The mother/nanny (not sure) was not watching her children in the aisles and at the checkout. The children were out of control. People, not just me, were looking strangely at this situation. I think the nanny/ mom was with a man. He was short for man and had a hat on. She had a white, large purse. She clearly was not watching her children. They were being neglected in public. The boy was in the cart unattended several times that I happened to see them throughout the store. I also saw all four of them at the checkout. It was a self check out line. They were out of control. If it was a mom, Wow, I am just shocked... If it were a nanny, I suppose that maybe this is her first job. The man and woman appeared to be in their late thirties or in their forties.

I absolutely couldn't believe that they acted the way they did. The woman and the girl she was carrying, butted in front of me to leave the store. It was done in the ruddest way...like there was some red carpet layed out for the lady to walk out on. She just mumbled, "I need to get by". The store was packed and I couldn't move much, so she just budged her way through. Wow, is Maryland (Northern Baltimore County) turning into a herd of cows? I certainly hope not. As a full time nanny, I am overworked, tired a lot, and have been doing this type of work for over 12 years. I do know what it's like to be tired from a long weekend and then to be at a grocery store, in the rain... But that is no excuse to act the way this woman did and to not watch her children, one in the cart and the other just walking around. She is asking for the worst possible thing... Does this person not read the news? If I had children, I would never leave them unattended, especially in a crowded grocery store. The children I nanny for, I treat them as if they were mine, but of course, know they are not. I would never put them in a neglectful situation or not have them in my sight at all times!
BAD LADY! Please don't do this to your children. Children are your pride and joy. Watch them at every moment!!!

Hmm... definitely doesn't sound like a bad nanny sighting. Random Rants? -JD
Submit your nanny sighting now by clicking here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't make heads or tails out of this one.

Anonymous said...

I would love rants. But this one isn't even interesting. Sorry OP.

Anonymous said...

well it is a sighting, that of a neglectful child minder, whatever her capacity was. And that's always an open invitation to some pervert waiting a chance to prey upon a child. Then, there is the crucial lack of respect to others in the vicinity who must witness and listen to the unbridled activities of the children. Then people wonder why kids have no respect for their teachers or adults in general. They haven't been taught.

Anonymous said...

There have been many accidents involving unattended children falling from shopping carts.

Anonymous said...

I think there should be a rant section. I don't see a lot of negligent nannies, but I see a lot of RUDE nannies. Grabbing things, pushing past me. Talking loudly, Whooping and hollaring, smacking their gum, obnoxious ringtones, bad language, asscracks exposed in lowrise jeans. Yeah, I think I could pull together a rant.

I think OP was more offended by this woman's rudeness than she was by her lack of supervision.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps, but it was her lack of supervision that put the kids at risk

Anonymous said...

12:59 PM
Good lord, where do you live? Sounds more like the red light district than a playground.

Anonymous said...

WTF is "The Giant"
Like Food Giant?
An old school grocery store?