Sunday

Should I stay or should I go?

Hi! I've been a nanny in Los Angeles, California for this family for a year and a half. I have been paid $14/hr. The parents are very nice people and I can't put into words how much I love the little girl. The thing is, they are having a new baby and she told me that the normal increase in the salary is $2/hr. The baby will be using cloth diaper witch I will have to wash before putting on machine, also I do the household laundry, clean the kitchen in the morning (with ALL) the dishes from dinner. I drive the girl to the park, classes, play dates and others activities in the area almost every day. I work 45 hours weekly, 40 of this are in pay roll and the other 5 cash since the girl takes nap. Now with the new baby it will be a little bit more difficult manage all this but I know I can, but I had have others job with just one kid and they used to pay $15 / hour not doing more than taking care the kids; but my current family says that they just want to pay $16 with a toddler and a new born. Should I stay????

4 comments:

Lacy said...

For LA, you are under paid.... I am 6-8 hours North for you (just south of SF); I make more and my area costs less then LA! $16 for 2 kids and cleaning after and only for 2 kids would be a good negotiation starter... you wont have much time for the extras....If they want to keep the extras, then I'd say $18-20. Washing cloth diapers, eww and time consuming; trust me.

beenthereanddonethat said...

Your days are going to suck compared to what they do now. I would be looking for a better job. When I had a good feeling about the potential of a new job, I would tell my employer that I had another offer. You say you like your charge. I know that means alot.

Nannies are expensive. As they should be. They provide a certain kind of childcare that a babysitter, daycare, relative or au pair cannot provide.

Philly Nanny said...

Yeesh, this is not enough money AT ALL! I work in Philly with a newborn and toddler making $18/hour. I also don't do any household chores besides cleaning up after myself and the kids throughout the day. Either ask for a raise (your cost of living is higher than mine, so I'd say AT LEAST $20/hour, plus more if they want all the extra housework) or start looking for something new where they'll pay you what you're worth.

Rachel said...

That is VERY low for two young children and house work. If you want to stay, gather information about what other nannies in the area make and come to the parents with a fair argument. If they have kept you for this long, they must like and trust you, and it's always easier for the parents to keep someone then to find someone new, which will work in your favor. Good Luck!