Friday

ISYN Bonus Survey 2007-Part II

i saw your nanny bonus survey
Friday, December 28, 2007
To read part one of this survey, click here. To share the results of this survey with your friends, please drag and drop the link to this page or use the "email this" feauture. We depend on our readers to spread the word about ISYN to others, this is how we collect sightings and reach the greatest number of people with those sightings. (Thank you)

Part II
21) Bonus this year: $100 gift card
Your Weekly Salary: $600
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: framed picture of the children
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 5 weeks
City, State and Country: Basking Ridge, New Jersey


22) Bonus this year: $1710
Your Weekly Salary: $855 for 40 hours
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: extra week off with pay, bottle of favorite perfume, and a new shoulder/messenger bag
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 16 months
City, State and Country: Cupertino, CA

23) Bonus this year: $800
Your Weekly Salary:$500 for 50 hours
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: My family is always very giving. This year I got chocolate and Diamond earrings and Diamond necklace. As I went to take them out, I saw the price tag ... the jewelery cost $800 . I was shocked!!! I can't believe they spend that much money! I am also going to get a $200 a week raise starting January 1st! I am pretty lucky!
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 2 1/2 years
City, State and Country: South Florida, USA

24) Christmas Bonus: $450
Weekly Salary: $450
Extra Gifts: Automatic Car starter which I really wanted.

25) Bonus this year: $2500
Your Weekly Salary: $950
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: the father handles all of the pay, so he paid me my regular pay and vacation pay. That was two checks. Then there was a thirds check for $2500 and a memo marked bonus. The wife usually has no connection to money at all. I always get my checks from him. This is funny because from her, I got a box of Fannie May Chocolates, a pair of art deco earrings, (in my style) and a gift certificate to the Westchester Mall for $500. I was really pleased. Then on Saturday, she calls me and says, "X, I just realized, I neglected to give you anything as a bonus, I hope you don't think that was intentional". I assured her that her husband had given me a very generous bonus with my paycheck. She was very relieved. I would say I did more than okay for not having been there for a full year.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: Almost a year
City, State and Country: Purchase, NY

26) Bonus this year: zero
Your weekly salary: $250 for 18 hours
Any supplemental gifts: pajamas from an outlet store
Length of time with family: 5 months
City, State and Country: Northern CA
I did get a lot of nice gifts from families I occasionally sit for: Ipod touch, movie gift card, tote bag, cash, oddly enough my regular gig actually gave me the least expensive gift by far?! They've never had a sitter of any kind so I honestly think it isn't a reflection on my performance, more that they have no clue.

27) Bonus this year: none
Weekly Salary: $600
Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: None
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 7months
City, State and Country: Manhattan, NY

28) Bonus: $0.00 ... yeah that's zero :(
Your weekly salary: $400.00
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: $50.00 Starbucks card and $50.00 target card
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 4 years
City, State and Country: Virginia Beach, VA, USA
I'm a little upset that after four years I have still to receive a bonus worth a weeks pay. Every year for Christmas I have gotten the same thing from them. But, at least I appreciate getting something, and they are a great family that treats me well during the year. But still....

29)Bonus this year: $750
Your weekly salary: $750
Any supplemental gifts: A gold quilted Chanel bag, a pair of metallic Uggz and leather journal. and Cash. I received a bonus check and a paycheck. And an envelope with ten one hundred dollar bills in it. So not sure whether I count that as a 1750 bonus or what. I think she wanted me to buy something my style with the cash. I've been here for 3 years and met lots of people. I easily work for the best family in the area. They're just real. Not phonies. And they really care about me. And other people.
Length of time with family: 3 years
City, State and Country: Harrison, NY

30) Bonus this year: None
Your Weekly Salary: $11 an hr
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: None
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 6 months
City, State and Country: Oklahoma, United States
I was promised a bonus when I took the job, she said she doesn't pay holidays, vacation, or sick days but makes it up with a nice Christmas bonus! Needless to say I'm looking for another job. Not to mention the nanny I replaced had nicely wrapped gifts under the tree with card. I SHOULD OF STAYED IN NYC!!

31) Bonus this year: $400
Your Weekly Salary: $650
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: $75 gift card to GAP (my favorite!), $20 gift card to Starbucks,cute penguin statue thing (my favorite animal), free round
of golf for my husband, golf ball snowman ornament for my husband.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 11 months
City, State and Country: Rochester, NY

32) Bonus this year: nothing
weekly salary: $550
supplementary gifts aside from bonus: coach purse and wallet
length of time worked for family: 1 1/2 years
City, State and Country: Rochester, NY

33) Bonus this year: 5,000
Your Weekly Salary: 1,300 (gross)
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: $1,000 designer purse
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 5 months
City, State and Country: CT, USA

34) Bonus this year: $700
Your Weekly Salary: $500
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: an outfit, new shoes, pictures and picture frames of the children, a purse, and gifts for my own child and family
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 2 1/2 years
City, State and Country: Massachusetts

35)
family a)Bonus this year: $100
Your Weekly Salary:$120 for 10 hours
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: None
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: only 2 months
City, State and Country: Phoenix, AZ
This was a nice surprise as I only work 10 hours a week, and have only been employed for 2 months.
family b)Bonus this year: $200
Your Weekly Salary:Approximately $275 for 22 hours. About 12 dollars an hour.
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: A very nice dinner for my boyfriend and I (about $100 dollars) and a very nice shirt.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 2.5 years
City, State and Country: Phoenix, AZ

36) Bonus this year: $400
Your Weekly Salary: I take home $540 after taxes for 35 hours.
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: The parents wrote me a really kind and appreciative note. Also the grandparents wrote a sweet note and gave a $100 check.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 14 months
City, State and Country: Brooklyn, NY, USA
I was nervous that I would receive nothing, because they didn't acknowledge my birthday at all. I know it's not 100% of a weekly salary, but I feel very happy to have gotten a bonus at all, and a generous one at that. It really validates all the work I do all year. I appreciate the kind words in their notes, because I think it's hard for them to say out loud, "Good job" or "We appreciate what you do." I will keep those notes forever. If it had been JUST a kind note, no check, I would be pretty disappointed. But whew, that's over with, and now I can decide what to spend it on!

37) Bonus this year: $0
Your Weekly Salary:$600/40 hrs.
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: Coach purse
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: full-time for 9 mos., part-time off and on for 4 yrs.
City, State and Country: CA
My nanny family doesn’t really celebrate Christmas (they are Buddhist), so I guess they didn’t think to give a Christmas bonus.

38) 2007 bonus- $1,500
Weekly pay-$1,000
Extra Gifts-soap/body products worth $30
Length of time with family-7 years
City, State and Country: Manhattan, NY

39) Bonus: $3,000.
weekly salary: $1,200 before taxes.
Gifts, large box of hand dipped chocolates from a place they know I love, and a card expressing their appreciation, which means a lot to me. Several gifts from the children, and obviously chosen by them, (some rather funny, including a remote control mouse for my cat!)
I've been with the family six years.

City, State and Country: NYC (Manhattan)
I am fortunate to work for a family that can afford to be generous, but what I really love about my job is the warmth and respect they show me every day. I am a lucky nanny!

40) Bonus this year: $0
Your Weekly Salary:$500 (no tax's taken out) for 40 hours sometimes more
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: Ornament from Germany(husband just came back from travel) A gold and pearl bracelet from India that is too fancy to ever wear, earrings from India that are clearing 2 different earrings and one is bent(Mom just got back from travel there) An UGLY sweater from old navy. The jewelry maybe very expensive but come on.. I spent well over $200 on the kids and their gifts combined and i put thought into theirs...
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 5 months
City, State and Country: Dearborn, MI

41) Bonus this year: $0
Your Weekly Salary:$500 for 60+Hrs (live-in)
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: Nice Digital Camera and pretty plaque
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: a little over 1 year
City, State and Country: Houston, TX USA
My family is wonderful- I love it here.

42) Bonus this year: $100
Your Weekly Salary:$162 for 11 hours of after school/tutoring care 3 days a week. I also get $10 a day for gas.
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: none
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 3 years
City, State and Country: Portland, Oregon
I love this family and they are truly great to me. I'm very lucky!


43) I am an employer and gave the following:
Bonus this year: $750
Weekly Salary: $650
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: extra time off, book, outfit
Length of Time Nanny Has worked for You: 8 months
City, State and Country: New York, NY

44) Bonus: $700.
Weekly salary: $640.
Any Supplementary Gifts : 3 shirts and a work out suit from Macy's.
Length of time you have worked for family: 1 year
City, State and Country: Westchester County, NY
Great family who wrote me a very nice card and took time to pick personal gifts as well as give a bonus. It shows that all the work I do is truly appreciated.

45) I'm an employer:
weekly salary: $750.00
Bonus: $1200.00
Supp. gifts: $425 designer jacket
Time with us: 3 months

46) Bonus this year: $0
Your Weekly Salary:$880 gross
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from the bonus: $200 gift card to one of my favorite stores, card with kind words, their appreciation
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: one month
City, State and Country: Washington DC
I want to add that I really love the family I work for! They are wonderful and I hope they know this! They are two of the most genuinely kind and caring individuals I have worked for in the DC area.

47) Bonus this year: $800
Your weekly salary: $800 per 41 hour week.
Any supplemental gifts: Giant basket of makeups and lotions and perfumes from Beauty Sak. Gift certificates totalling $1,000 to plus sized clothing stores, painting from the oldest boy, note from the family thanking me for my achievements thus far with the family and making some suggestions for the upcoming year, specifically, "taking some time to get myself ready in the morning". (!!)
Length of time with family: 8 months
City, State and Country: Westchester County, NY

48) Bonus this year: none
Your Weekly Salary: $650 for 45 hours
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 4 and 2 months
City, State and Country: Holland
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus:0! I did get a small present worth around $30 from one family. I have 2 families (3 and 2 days). I bought gifts for the kids but none for the parents.

49) Bonus this year: nothing, but when paying me they tried to make it like my pay for time off that they are away was a bonus, when it is in fact only the second week I have had off all year and they also made it seem like it was bonus pay. They wanted these days to count for everything. I work in a rich town for rich people but they are so chintzy, I am embarassed for them. They beg their rich friends for their things. And they have more money in the bank than anyone. They just want to be about getting more for nothing.
Your weekly salary: $600, live-in and never off unless I am gone.
Any supplemental gifts: a fancy crystal bottle. Smells like a regift. What the hell do I want with a fancy crystal bottle. And the mom gave me a sweater that a relative got her son and said that I could return it and get something nice for myself.
Length of time with family: 10 years
City, State and Country: Westchester, NY

50) Hi, I'm an employer:
His weekly salary: $775.00
Bonus: $1600.00
Supplementary gifts: Cadillac men's bike, Lenova ThinkPad, Shaving gifts, bike helmet
Time with us: 9 months
City, State: Alamo, CA

34 comments:

Quinn said...

All I can say is if I were going to be a nanny, the New York area is where the good bonuses are! I am actually so happy to see that so many nannies are given something back for all they do for the families they care for.

Anonymous said...

Dear Nannies,
A gift card is NOT a bonus- it is a present. If you received a $100 giftcard, you received a Present, not a bonus. I shudder to think your employers were counting on you not to know the differemce.

And it makes sense that NY & CA have the better bonuses, they yhave more wealth and higher nanny salaries, esp in the SF area.

Anonymous said...

Wow ... congratulations to the Nannies that got what they deserved! And my sympathy to those that didn't. Specifically #'s 28 (I'm from Va. Beach, also - and I know we have many wealthy families here. What was their problem?) And 30: She didn't keep her word ... find someone who appreciates you! To 49: I know just the type! You should get out, too.
For some of the others: Although it seemed maybe you should've gotten a bigger bonus, you were very grateful for what you did get. You must be with families you completely adore, and the money is secondary to being happy with your job. Kudos to all of you!

Anonymous said...

No one has commented on what I failed to get. Is it too much to ask for some GD feedback?

Anonymous said...

this wasn't posted all that long ago so not many people have commented at all yet... who are you, anon 4 46?

Anonymous said...

Why are you so angry, 4:46? Maybe your temperament is why you didn't recieve more.

Anonymous said...

nevermind now, i'm not saying

Anonymous said...

Are you No. 27?

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better to discuss it, please do. We don't know who you are.

Anonymous said...

#47's family sure was quite delicate about them wanting her to make herself look better.
It was definately a hint.

Anonymous said...

5:02 I hadn't even noticed the 'theme' of the gifts #47 received. Yikes! Sounds like that nanny is taking it lightly but I would be offended.

On the other hand as a nanny you do represent the family so that may be their nice way of telling the nanny to literally 'shape up or ship out' .

Anonymous said...

Where is the shape up message? The nanny is obviously a bigger gal or she wouldnt have gotten GCerts to big stores. She got make up and clothes. Maybe they were simply telling her to slow down and take some time to look pretty for herself? Maybe they realize she is a pretty gal but looks haggard or sloppy because she is always worrying on about the kids. I don't know the story. But yeah some people are big. If she were tall maybe she would get a Gcert to some tall ass store or if she were petite, maybe she'd be sent to some tiny store. I don't think size was of the essenc

Anonymous said...

I missed the survey, but I just wanted to chime in because I was SO disappointed this year.

I just celebrated a year with a family I love. I've been there since their baby was born 13 months ago and I routinely bend over backwards for them in regards to schedule flexibility, etc. They love me and constantly brag about me to their friends, family, etc. I had my annual review the week before Christmas and was told I did an outstanding job this year and they are very happy. They had no criticisms and gave me a 7% raise. Since I'm already at the top of the salary scale for my area, that will make a nice impact on my paycheck. Given all that, and the fact that my employers are extremely wealthy, I was anticipating a generous year-end bonus.

I got nothing. Zero. I did get a nice Christmas gift, worth around $300. But I would have much rather received $300 cash, even if that would have only been about 1/3 of a week's pay as a bonus. At least it would have been a bonus.

I was REALLY upset at first, but I think it may have been for the best. I've been putting feelers out in the corporate world and I'm going to leave nannying and actually use my college degree. I'll be able to double my salary and work 8-5. I'll miss the baby, but I'm sick of sacrificing my social life and earning potential for employers who apparently do not appreciate me.

Anonymous said...

I run a small home daycare and of the three families, one of them gave me a nice cash bonus, a check equal to one week's tuition. They also put it in a card with some very nice words about how pleased they were with the care their son got from me.
The other two gave me small gifts and really nice presents for my daughter.
I thought the card was the best part, actually.

Anonymous said...

On # 47: She just happen to mention she was a big girl. But I don't think that really has to do with the hint she received.
It looks like the family was wanting her to perhaps 'clean up' a bit. May be she does look a bit disheveled and this was their polite way of letting her know.
Hey ... I've seen worse. Some people don't care about others feelings and can be quite rude!

Anonymous said...

I am a nanny who did not participate (but got some amazing gifts and a good bonus) but to be totally honest, the card and their words of appreciation were all I need. There are some days that are so hard and emotionally (and physically) stressful, just to know that they love me and know how hard it is sometimes meant more to me than anything. Yes, I appreciate my bonus, I am trying not to sound like I am bragging and can understand what it is like to not get one (old family) but it is really nice to be with a great family now.
A nanny down the street, whom I socialize with at work, usually only gets a $25 gift card to go out to eat, after almost 2 years! When she tells me this, I just say I got a bonus and that is it.

Anonymous said...

milwaukeenanny
I don't think nearly as many nannies/employers responded to the survey as they did last year, but I love that so many left comments this time.
How come you didn't do the survey?

Anonymous said...

I am a brooklyn nanny and year after year I am more disappointed by the family i work for.

she constantly says i am one of the family. i shudder to think what she gives to her family. for more than 6 years i have bent over backwards for this family and i admit now, I AM STUPID always giving the benefit of the doubt because i love these kids, but she is simply just a USER and i have finally had enough.

I cant do this anymore now i have to think about myself and my own family just like she does. i try to play fair but now i guess i will just have to play dirty. nice pepople obviously just get run over and eaten alive.

Not once have i gotten a bonus over 150 dollars and belive me, i am an excellent nanny but some people out there obviously still think that slavery exists in this day and age. i know that i can do a lot better for myself.

we all make mistakes, but we are supposed to learn from our mistakes and i certainly have.

With the coming new year I hope to correct all mine or at least to the best of my ability.

I applaud all those nannies who got excellent bonuses. Obviously they work for people not only with hearts but also with consciences. Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say what i got this year.

I work in memphis as a nanny, 55+ hours a week, paid $350 week.

I got a $100 gift card to target from the mom, and from the dad a $50 gift card to Starbucks, which is of no use to me because I don't like coffee.

I have been their nanny for 1 1/2 years, but before that I was their child's daycare teacher since she was 6 weeks old.

yeah...christmas was not fun this year.

Anonymous said...

9:46, do you really not even make $6.50 an hour?????????????????? Is rent in your area like $150/mo for a 3 bedroom house or something? That is UNREAL.

Maybe you could use the Starbuck's card for tea, or save it as a re-gift for someone later. You could give it to the dad if you're still working for them next year!

Anonymous said...

9:46
You and #28 from Va. Beach pretty much got the same thing. You even make about the same amount of money. Those Employers must be related!
How can they be so insensitive and thoughtless? If you do a good job, it should be recognized. And tips/money, for an Employee, is the best way to do it.
Unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to why $49 is still with her family after 10 years and they are ungrateful-maybe because they used to nice things for her during the holidays and she wasn't grateful?

Or:

maybe they are just heartless employers who don't care. There are people like that, and they more than likely go through nannies like Lindsay and Britney go through rehab. They are thoughtless and just plain mean. I can't stand people like that.

9:46-I feel bad for you, since you have been with this family for such a long time and you have bonded with the child. Have you thought about talking to them? Do you have a review coming up? Maybe you should try explaining that you would like more money. If that doesn't work, then maybe you should try to find another family.

I saw an interesting post on Craigslist the other day. It was a family looking for a FT nanny, and they wanted to pay $150 per week. I worked a temp job last week and made close to that in two days!

Someone please tell a family what we are and what we do! Please tell them you can't pay daycare rates to a nanny!

Anonymous said...

Lol! Yeah, I noticed on Craigslist that there are suddenly dozens of nannies looking for new jobs! A decent holiday bonus says a lot about loyalty to a job.

Anonymous said...

if you have a shitty salary and dont get a bonus, why are you working for that family? i mean come on people. wake up. it's a reflection of you- not them. they are going to get away with whatever they can. and no one would dare try and pay me less than 2 weeks of a bonus.

Anonymous said...

Jani
I'm glad you have a backbone, and wouldn't 'dare' let someone pay you less than 2 wks. salary bonus.
However, there are alot of Nannies that stay with Families because they LOVE them. Believe it or not, money isn't always the most important thing. Sanity and happiness are. If a Nanny has a Family that otherwise treats them well, but can't afford a huge bonus - how is that a reflection on them? That's not fair and I find your comment a little offensive, because you're laying the blame squarely at the Nannies feet, and there may be extenuating circumstances.
The only way the Nanny would shoulder any responsiblity was if she was being treated like crap, and being paid crap ... then yes, she should get out.
I noticed on several posts where the Nanny commented (after receiving little or no bonus) ... "but they treat me well, and I love the children".
..... Sounds about right to me.

Anonymous said...

Marypoppin'pills, ITA Some families are making sacrifices to afford a nanny, and if they are paying a fair salary, a one week bonus the first couple of years is fine. Believe me we nannies are very well aware of the families standard of living. The big issue for most nannies is whether or not they feel appreciated. A card expressing thanks for all you do, and a gift that shows some thought mean a lot. A Starbucks card to a nanny who doesn't drink coffee is pathetic!

Anonymous said...

8:40
Are you speaking about yourself? If so ... you definately make my point. If not, it's a good example.
And if you are the "Starbucks Nanny" ... I'm sorry they didn't do better for you. I know a Nanny was complaining about that on another post. A card & a thoughtful gift definately would've been a lot nicer.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe in extravagant gifts but I do think that if a family can't even afford a Christmas present for their nanny, they can't afford to have a nanny at all. Nannies are a luxury . It's like going to a restaurant and skimping on the tip.

Anonymous said...

Stop complaining. At least you have a job. Especially, if you are a live in. Free rent and utilities. Who could ask for more.

Anonymous said...

I will NOT stop complaining. In fact, I haven't begun to start complaining. I am sick and tired of being taken advantage of. Stay tuned as I plan to submit a scathing synopsis of the last 7 months of my life and the clinically ill people who have complicated it (and answer to Boss Mam)

Anonymous said...

12:17-I agree with you about what you said regarding the nanny's gift and not being able to afford a nanny. Families should do carefue research on a nanny's salary before attempting to find a nanny. And if you want to pay daycare rates to a nanny-that is pay under $250 a week for someone to watch your children FT, then enroll them in daycare!

I leave tips at restaurants if the service is good-I once had an asthma attack in Applebee's, and the server was clearing the dishes from the table when I was doubled over coughing. Other partons noticed, and the server, a young man in his 20's, said to me, "don't die on me, it's my last night". I am coughing, scared, and literally on the floor, and he doesn't have the courtesy to help me or get a manager. So I wrote on a napkin: "hope your new job doesn't involve waiting tables, because your customer service skills are pathetic." I contacted the managaer, and got a gift certificate from Applebee's. I'm one of the nicest people, yet that night I was sick, and I was pissed at what happened. I once left a hot waiter a $7 tip. *LOL*

Anonymous said...

Missdee
A $7.00 tip? On what? Dessert? That's not much of a tip if you had a full meal.
As for the thoughtless, dumb, oblivious waiter ... they should've given you more than a gift certificate, you should've gotten a letter of apology also.

Anonymous said...

2:02 PM
A LI does not receive free rent etc. it is part of their compensation, they earn it. That is why their salary is lower than LO. It also means longer hours, little privacy, and more vulnerability to being taken advantage of by employers. It is no gravy train!

Anonymous said...

Hi i'm the original poster to
40)
on the survey.....

The gold jewelry i got from inda is FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I took it to my jeweler and they did a gold test on it..

Man do i feel jipped!