Sunday

Nanny Roomie Advice Needed

I need some suggestions regarding my roommate situation. I own a home and got a roommate last fall to help out with my two dogs while I traveled 50% of the time for my nanny job. In exchange for pet care she got about 30% reduction in her rent. This was all working out well until I suffered a ligament tear in my knee 4 1/2 mo into the job. Being discreet, I decided not to go back to this job and resigned during my recovery period. One of my dogs also died during this time.

So as of now, my roommate has only infrequent care of my very low maintenance dog about 2-3 days per month, compared with 2 dogs prior. Rents are skyrocketing here and I really need to raise her rent, which will be hard for her as she does not have a ton of income, the reason this was win/win in the beginning.

I would love to hear ideas on ways to trade some additional help/labor for her rent reduction. Housekeeping is not an option. Market value now for rent on my home would be $1800 per month plus utilities. She has 2 small bedrooms,half the kitchen,space in the basement, half the garage,shared kitchen and living room for eating/hanging out and a private full bath. So I feel another rommate would easily pay 1000 mo. including utilities, she is paying 700 per month.

(I really need the income more now too as I took a cut in pay with my new job since it involves fewer hours and no travel. She is trustworthy and an honest person, always pays her rent on time, so I really would like her to stay! Any ideas of finding ways for her to work off some of her rent would be appreciated, TU

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the one year mark is coming, it's reasonable to negotiate since your needs have changed. You could cancel the agreement and renegotiate the full rental amount. And then pay her/give her credits for her dog sitting. Are there other jobs she can do for you and the home? yard maintenance, running errands? shopping? etc?

Taleia said...

Would she maybe be willing to give up the second bedoom in exchange for a lower rent (and continue to help with the dog)? You could get a third roomie.

Anonymous said...

This is question from closed FB group which doesn’t allow members to post their questions elsewhere online