Tuesday

Bait and Switch!! Ugh!!! Unfair!!!

What  would you do?
I'm a nanny and I've been working as a child care provider for 12 plus years. Recently I was offered a position as a nanny and began working a few days here and there to help out. I was asked if $20 per hour was alright and I said yes because that is my rate for 1 child. After I put in my notice at the preschool I was working at they gave me my nanny agreement and it said $600 p/week which was not discussed prior!  I was making $20 per hour and working a 40 hour week which equals $800. I've addressed this with the family as bait and switch because that's how I feel! They are not making it right, but they want to do a nanny share now which means I would be taking care of 2 children. I asked for $900 and was only offered 861. They also started buying Tiles (trackers ) and have purchased multiple cameras since I've started, making me feel bad! What should I do at this point?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

$20 an hour is at the high end of the spectrum for one child, but their dishonesty is very concerning. This does not bode well. If you feel you are going to continue with these people you literally need to get every single thing in writing. Are they dealing right with your taxes. If you are REALLY great at your job, go on and accommodate them for 3 months and then ask for a review to renegotiate, make sure the contract they have given you does not tie you down for an extended period of time. During that 3 months start looking for other options, it's clear these people play fast and loose with their word

redridinghood said...

I'd cut your losses and start looking for a new position now. People who are this duplicitous now are only going to get worse.

Anonymous said...

Who gets to determine what's high or not high for 1 child... especially since you dont even know the individual's location? When I was still nannying, I earned $180K annually plus bonuses, so an excess of $200K a year. The lowest I ever charged before I grew my clientele was $30 an hour even if the family has just 1.5 kid. Of course when I first started out in my early teens, I was clueless of my worth, so I accepted anything and moved mountains in return from cleaning to cooking and so on. People gladly hired me because they felt that they found a sucker who will accept low pay and fulfill multiple roles in th house. Now that I run a boutique agency placing top notch nannies with VIP families, I always tell the nannies to charge their worth but they better be damn sure they will bring their skills when hired. I'm just pointing this out because it's unfair to point out that her rate is high for 1 child when you dont even know her qualifications, skills, experience, etc.