The Bad Tipper

Lesley Spanos
    Hello, I am a nanny in Connecticut. I work as a live-in. Both of the parents I work for work out of the home. The mother has a regular event one week night that starts at 7, so that she can see the kids before bed, I usually meet her with the kids at one of three of their favorite spots for dinner. These are regular places like Applebees.
     I suspected and confirmed about a month ago that my boss tips about 10 percent. There are five of us and the kids always leave a mess under the table, not intentionally. They are just young. I find myself so nervous during the meal. I start clearing and stacking the dishes because I think I am afraid to be not liked.  The situation made me so uncomfortable that last night, I threw a five on the table as we were leaving. This only made me feel worse, like I was undermining my boss.
    Is there a graceful way to handle this?

We welcome all submission to I SAW YOUR NANNY. If you have sent something in and it has not been posted, please be patient. Nanny Sightings are always posted as received. Please email and like us on FaceBook.


Anonymous said...

totally fake

Corina said...

Why? It happens. I worked for someone that told me to give pizza guy a $1.00 as a tip! He had to come up to the 20 th floor. Thank goodness I had two dollars in my pocket to add on it. Who in their right mind leave such a terrible tip.

Theycallmered said...

This actually happens a lot I think. The last family I nannied for would order pizza occasionally for their kids and tell me to only tip $1.00!! The current family gets groceries delivered about once a month or so and they never leave him a tip!!! And I never have cash. It is an unfortunate circumstance. It seems weird to me too, because they give semi-generous Christmas bonuses to all their household staff.