Friday

One Late Appointment Gets Her Grounded


 I have an issue I would like to speak to my family about. Now, they are a wonderful family with one baby. He is almost 14 months.  Let's go back about 2 months ago; mom had ask me to meet her at doc office for baby's appointment.  The night before I ask her the address so I could put in my GPS unit.  She didn't know what the address was so I had to guess.  It was in a general area.  On the way there, my phone died with no charger.  It was one of those days where everything goes wrong.  Got to a store and got hold of mom; who was, of course, really upset.  I went out that night to purchase a new GPS and phone charger.  I never want that to happen again.  ow, they are really hesitate about me going anywhere.  He needs to be outside the house to socialize with others and get exercise.  What can I say to them so baby and I are  not stuck in the house all summer? 

6 comments:

Me! said...

I could never be stuck indoors all day! The day just drags! Can you take him to storytime, gymboree, park or playground? As to the appt, bad days happen don't let it get you down!

Anonymous said...

Yes to library storytime. Once in while to the nearby park. I guess thats better then nothing.

this_nick said...

Explain that you've taken steps to insure that doesn't happen again, and that keeping the child in all day, every day means he's missing out on having a variety of experiences and chances to explore the world around him, which is exactly what's healthy for his development and well-being. If they're a great family, they won't want to curtail his ability to grow and learn. If they won't budge at all, even just to give you a few trial outings to see how it goes, then they're allowing their paranoia to override their child's well-being -- and that's not so great.

Good luck!

Me! said...

Let them know that staying in isn't an option. The LO needs interaction and YOU cannot sit inside all day. There's no reason for it, IMO. No matter how late you were ONE time! They're being ridiculous!

Alice said...

I would tell any family I work for that I am not interested in sitting inside all day with their kids.

I go outside, I play at the park, I go to neighborhood libraries, etc.

If that's too much for them and they're not comfortable, we simply aren't a good match and it won't be a long-term arrangement.

Danish Nanny said...

Tell the family that you know that was a bad day and tell them what you've done to make sure it doesn't happen Again; that way they know that you are aware of your responsibility. After that, let them know kindly but firmly that staying inside and not going anywhere is simply not an option.