Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

I am so upset. My boss come home and said I have a smudge on my face. Then I tell her what it is and she laughs a little but sees my upset and stops herself. She said she is sorry she didn't realize I was religious "like that." I am supposed to get off at 730 and I should have been done but I was in the kitchen doing the dishes and she come in and said, "how long do you have to keep that on for?" Then her husband chuckled to me. I don't like this disrespect to my religion and they seem not smart about religions to not know what the ash is about. She said to the five year old, "Maybe you should as Elisa to explain to you why she wears ashes on her face this day." I felt she was mocking me and I could not explain. I thought I would crash in to tears. I excused myself and went to my room. I am so hurt by this. I am living in their house for three months now and they treat me like they treat a silly puppy.

5 comments:

april wine said...

I don't think that is nice. I am guessing English is not your first language. In my experience, nannies who cannot articulate English properly are treated as less than. Make sure they know you understand they were mocking you. Let them know that you will not stand for such treatment. Good luck!

Helaine said...

I really don't think I would need my nanny walking around with ash on her forehead. I think I would rather have given her the day off to partake.

Andie said...

I kind of agree. This would just lead to a diuscussion on religion or being saved and I dont think that anyone is really up for that or would know how to handle that in the best way.

Anonymous said...

Im sorry but this is America, with freedom of religion. It is her right to do what she needs for her religion. You dont need to get into a HUGE discussion with the kids, just tell them it is a special day for you. No need for a long drawn out discussion.

Anonymous said...

Helaine that is an ignorant reply. Even at my son's school some teachers go to church for Ash Wednesday. Are you telling me they should receive day off?