Another Taxing Question

ISYN Tax experts: is a newborn care specialist a form of a nanny or do they file as independent contractors? - Anonymous


Tax knowledge said...

You have to file taxes as an employee. Nannies of any kind are not independent contractors!!! It's a scan for parents when they say that's how you should pay taxes.

talesfromthe(nanny)hood said...

Newborn Care Specialists are IC's. They set their hours, accept the clients they choose to accept, etc. NCS's may get 1099'd, or may just have to keep detailed records. Either way, they are responsible for their own taxes.

Nannies are employees, and get a W-2.

Manhattan Nanny said...

I have seen both yes and no when researching this. Some agencies classify a baby nurse as a nanny, and therefore subject to the nanny tax. When called a newborn care specialist, it says independent contractor, with a 1099. The terms are really interchangeable, but if you want to file as an IC, be sure to call yourself a Newborn care specialist, and not a baby nurse.

leftcoastmama said...

When we had a newborn night nanny we paid her as a household employee with all applicable taxes.

Newborn night nannies are a life saver!