Monday

Inconsistencies Drive Nanny to Look for Other Employment

opinion 1
I’ve started looking for work. I am still technically employed by a family. I need advice as when to tell interested families I can start. I have been working with a family since August caring for twins. We got on well. It’s part time which is great for me because I’m in school. I was upfront with them from the start that I was in school part time for now, but in 2 years school would become fulltime. They were ok with that, as they only needed part time care, typically 2 days a week. For me 2 days with a nice family, two sweet babies for $200 was not a bad deal. Cut to last week when I found out that dad had lost hours at work so they wouldn’t need me as often for the next two months. That surprise I didn’t realize, dad’s hours changed so easily. While I do love part time, I need something consistent income wise so I’ve started looking for other jobs. Do I need to give this family the standard 2 to 4 weeks even though I’m not really working for them anymore, just so they know they can’t count on me to come back?

10 comments:

MissMannah said...

I'm confused--are you working for this family or not? You said Dad's hours have been cut so they don't need you "as often." I took this to mean they still need a PT nanny, just not the two days a week you were working. If this is true, then you need to give at least 2 weeks' notice so they can find a new nanny. If all they need is someone on call so Dad can go on interviews, tell them that you aren't coming back because you have to have a job. I'm sure they will understand that.

StrawberryShortKakes said...

I am also confused as to if you are working or not. If they don't need you for the next 2 months, I'd say "bye!" and be done with it. If they need you for on-call or less hours than you agreed upon, then you should definitely start looking for something ASAP. I think they will understand if you need to look for another job since the hours you had been promised are not being given to you. When the DB cut his hours, did they give you 2 weeks notice until your hours were cut? I am guessing not. In that case, you don't really owe it to them to give them 2 weeks notice. They didn't adhere to the notice so why should you?

ericsmom said...

So basically you will not have a job with this family for the next two months. So why do you have to tell them anything. You are not employed with them if they are not giving you hours for those two months. Maybe, they are hoping you don't come back.

ericsmom said...

Okay just realized they don't need you as much for these two upcoming months. Well tough on them. I don't understand families that think nannies don't need a steady income.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trixie Belden said...

If they won't need you for two months, you still need income. Your rent/bills/grocery bills will still need to be paid, etc.

I would let the family know this and let them know you are in the midst of a job search. If they are understanding, they will be okay with it. If not, they are purely selfish and self-entitled.

Best of luck to you OP.

Just My Two Cents Just Now said...

I think it would be unreasonable for this family to think you could go two whole months being unemployed.

I would let them know that you need to make money and that you are actively seeking a position. Tell them depending on what you can find, you may or may not be able to return in two months. Then leave it up to them what to do next.

It would be ideal if you could find a position where you can keep this one, however times are tough now and you may only be able to get a job that works around your school schedule.

Good Luck to you. I wish you the best in all of your future endeavors.

Im OP said...

Thanks for the advice and well wishes. Don't want to get into it, but I ended up having to quit.
I probably should've sooner, but I have a tendency to give too many chances.

I have no idea what I'm going to do. I've always landed on my feet thus far in life so hopefully I haven't run out of luck.

Just My Two Cents Just Now said...

You will be just fine OP.

I know things will look up soon.

NinaMarie said...

I just had this happen to me. I quit , but not sure I should have. I tried to make a post about it but don't know if it went through