I am looking for advice on how to handle working in a household where "messy" is an understatement. Trying to keep this post as anonymous as possible, here is a list of the ongoing issues:
- Piles of Mail/Flyers at front door and hanging over mailbox that go unnoticed.
- A re-occurence of garbage/recycling bags that have not been put out for weeks.
- Toys everywhere and no distinct rule or place to put such items even through there is a toy box.
- Liquid spills, boogers on walls and furniture that is in the common areas of the household.
- Random clothes piles that go unmoved unless I tend to them.
- Unmade Beds on a daily basis. [Parent included]
- Dirty Laundry piled up, that will go unwashed for extended periods of time unless I do it after it stinks for quite a while. [Even though laundry service is not in my contract]
- Full sink of dirty unrinsed dishes after the weekend. [I wash all dishes on Fridays only to come to a weekend's worth on Mondays]
- Full dishwasher of sometimes half dirty/half clean.
- Full, foul-smelling compost kitchen catcher.
- Untidy kitchen counters with take-out food boxes and random alcohol containers, untended to unless I return them!
- Fridays dinner left-overs, still on the table.
- An almost empty fridge with limited/no options for dinners, snacks and lunches. [Mind you, I pick up groceries once per week, however basic items are never restocked]
- Floors full of debris that need mopping and sweeping.
I have been with this family for 3 years and this has been re-occuring since the beginning. I have verbally addressed the issue, as well as through letters and detailed requests. Nothing has changed or shows signs of changing. I adore the children as well as the parent (single parent household) however I am at a point of enough is enough... also, this takes so much of my time and energy to tend to. My contract states child care only/child laundry... I go above and beyond my job descriptions which are left "unnoticed" and almost "expected" as it has been going on for so long now.
I am heavily compensated for my child care job, banking between $2,500-$3,000 a month for one child, trips, and access to a car... however, do you think I deserve more, or that this issue should be addressed, or should I just suck it up and be happy because I make great money and have fantastic perks?