Wednesday

Pier 6 Sandbox by the bridge - Brooklyn, NY

Received Wednesday, June 9, 2010
negative emoticon 1 URGENT... at 0905 hundred hours this day, June 9, Wednesday - I witnessed the unthinkable. A female nanny, Puerto Rican, with large moles on her face, thick hair and a wide, blank face was caring for an Anglo child, female, with blond hair and a pinkish/reddish short overalls set over a white and flowered shirt. The nanny was approximately 30-35 years old, 5 foot four-six and about 160-180 pounds. I don't know what happned previously but did see the nanny grab the child's right arm, hold it high and swat the child on the bottom 4-6 times. The child began crying and crying so hard she was gasping for air. I said, "hey, hey" to get the nanny's attention. She turned and looked at me. I started walking towards her. She quickly dunks the child in the stroller, a collapsible umbrella stroller with mint green arms and a loud seat pattern. Then she takes off walking at warp speed. At first I started to follow her to catch up to her to call her out and find out who she worked for. But I figured I would only make things worse on the little child.

This happened right by the Pier 6 Sandbox by the bridge (Brooklyn). The child may have been playing in the sand box before my arrival. But they were standing next to it when they caught my attention!

6 comments:

Kat said...

Great sighting OP!

I do hope the family reads this, or if someone knows the family that they'll let them know.

Though, I do want to point out that the woman could have been the mother. Adoption and all of that. But if it was in fact a Nanny, then I hope she is fired immediately.

Liz said...

Such a sad situation....katlee85...she could have very well been the mother, but it does not excuse the behavior(I don't believe in spanking as a form of punishment)...if she is the mom she should be fired too!

Av Mevsimi said...

I do hope the family reads this, or if someone knows the family that they'll let them know.

Kat said...

Liz,

While I do believe in spanking, I don't believe that it should be done in public for everyone to see and certainly not by a caregiver/Nanny.

another nanny said...

Good sighting OP. Hopefully someone sees this. I can't see any situation in which a parent would approve of their nanny disciplining in such a way.

brooklyn nanny said...

Unfortunately it's something that you see quite often. But you get what you pay for. Alot of parents choose the lation nannies so they get a foreign language instructor/ nanny/housekeeper for $10 or less an hour. That woman knew she was ha no right to put her hands on that kid. Hopefully at some point the parents find out.