The News

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Nannies/Sitters
Times are tough. A Greenwich, CT nanny is charged with stealing the wallet of a Shelton man after meeting him at a bar, then using his credit card to buy more than $700 in merchandise at stores in the Westfield Trumbull mall. Katarzyna Klimsiak, 26, of Webb Avenue, Stamford, surrendered to police Monday after being told there was a warrant for her arrest. She was charged with theft of a credit card, illegal use of a credit card and second-degree forgery. She was released on a $5,000 bond. A tryst, really?

Laurie Belkin of the NY Times tells us when to report a nanny to the police. (You can always report them to us!)

A former Springfield, MO teacher and babysitter who admitted molesting two boys received a seven-year prison sentence on Monday. Laura Kirkland of Springfield pleaded guilty last October in two separate and unrelated cases.

West Jordan, Utah police are investigating a case of two small children found wandering alone Monday night. Police say employees of the Arctic Circle restaurant at 3365 W. 7800 South found the children, ages 2 and 3, outside the business around 9:30 p.m. and called police. Police say the mother left the children in the care of a 13-year-old babysitter at their apartment Monday evening. When the mother came home, the teen told her the children were fine and in bed. When the mother awoke Tuesday morning and looked in on the children, she discovered they were missing and called police. (Check on your children when you get home, how about a nice kiss goodnight?)

A San Antonio woman, Analisa Urias, answered Elizabeth Johnson's call to her babysitter ad on Craigslist on December 21st and might be the last person to have seen Gabriel Johnson alive. She informed San Antonio authorities and the FBI that she watched the 8-month-old child for Elizabeth Johnson only a couple hours.

The Moms
A Naperville mother known for being active in her community was acquitted Monday of endangering her son's life in an incident sparked by a burnt pizza. Police arrested Mary P. Morrissey about 9:30 p.m. Aug. 17 after accusing her of being too drunk to provide proper supervision of the 10-year-old boy in their home on Tulip Lane.

A 25-year-old Ogden, Utah mother was arrested Sunday on suspicion of smothering to death her 2-month-old son.

A 41-year-old metro mother is in custody for sexual assault of a child. Police say the victim is her 15-year-old son.

A Wheaton, Il. mother faces criminal charges after police said they found her two children home alone in a roach-infested apartment without electricity.

Georgia mom Lynn Geter forced her son to smash his pet hamster to death with a hammer when the boy presented her with a bad grade, according to police.

Lynette Marie Gray, 34, appeared before Judge G. Todd Baugh and admitted to a felony charge of assault on a minor. Gray remains free on a $2,500 bond. She is scheduled to be sentenced March 29. Gray admitted that on Oct. 4, 2008, she was at Rimrock Mall with her 3-year-old son. Gray admitted that she was intoxicated, and that she jerked her son by the ear and collar, causing him to fall and hit his face on the floor. (Someone was paying attention and reported her!)

Bond was set at $20,000 Monday for the Beatrice teen accused of duct-taping a toddler to a wall. According to the police report, images were obtained that were taken on Dec. 31, 2009, of the child’s mother and Honea taunting the child by duct-taping his Sippy cup just out of reach.
Other images showed the child duct-taped to the wall with pieces of duct tape at the wrist and strips across his torso and legs preventing any movement. The mother admitted that she pinned the child against the wall while Honea duct-taped him so his back was against the wall. The mother is being held at the Lancaster County Youth Detention Center and the child has been turned over to state authorities.


cali mom said...

Oh my God, these are even more sickening than usual. What the hell is this world coming to?


world's best nanny said...

My nephew has Autism, he took off one night. He was found wandering down the street at 3am, the police found him and he said he was going to McDonalds. Both my brother and his wife were fast asleep and was none the wiser.
No, not all Autistic kids are non-verbal. They installed locks higher up on the door and put a motion sensitive alarm on it.
They still have The Department of Children and Families in their lives. Not every child wandering is due to neglectful parents/nanny.

parenting is a full-time job, even at night said...


that really sucks and I can relate to the story because I have an autistic child as well. however, DCYF has a job to do and if a child is wandering the streets unattended, it is due to neglect, if the child is autistic or otherwise. Does it mean the parents are horrible people? no. Does it mean they need to educate themselves on the dangers of leaving an autistic child unattended, even during the night? yes. it is great that your brother and his wife have smartened up, but if there hadn't been kind people involved, your nephew may be dead. they are sort of lucky that they are not in jail.

ericsmom said...

geeze who leave a 13year old to take care of a 2 and 3 year old all nite. I don't blame the kid, its the moms fault. She didn't even check on her kids when she came home. She just went straight to bed!! Crazy

And the hamster story was so sad!! What a terrible mother.

I feel sorry for the mom with the burnt pizza incident. It doesn't sound like shes a horrible mother. Maybe, going thru personal suffering because of her breast cancer.