Received Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Want to know if I'm being silly here. I have worked for a family with one 11 mo old girl, started shortly after her birth. I work about 50 hours per week. I really like the family. They are polite and pleasant. I have been a nanny for 11 years and pride myself on doing my best. I do not mind criticism if deserved, but things have gotten a bit odd. My other families always had nice words for me and were happy with my work.
Every month the Mom and I have a sit down, touch base conversation. I have had no complaints and tell her so. She then proceeds to give me a laundry list of petty complaints, almost all that I am not at all guilty of. I explain my view on these complaints politely in return. I get the vibe Mom thinks I'm just making excuses and that shes "set me straight". After 8 months of going above and beyond for them (doing laundry constantly of entire house, staying late with little warning, cleaning up outside babies needs, coming early frequently, staying at house and dog sitting while they vacation, and lots more.) I am really getting hurt feelings and feeling totally unappreciated. All my former bosses loved me and had no complaints. Here's the list from todays meeting:
* accused me of making out of area phone calls (I never use their phone except to call Mom.)
* said TV sound was left on too loud. I do not watch TV.
* said I shrunk a pair of dry clean shorts in the wash (her husband threw them in the wash bin and had no washing instructions.)
* said Dad came home at lunch and found baby wet (Mom had forgotten to buy diapers, I don't drive and home is no where near store so I had emergency rigged towels till Mom came home.)
* said I "yelled" at the dog in Dads presence. (Dog barks a lot and wakes baby constantly who cries for 30 minutes afterward.) I simply said the dogs name sharply, just as the parents do, no yelling.
After I explain my take on these accusations she just seems exasperated, as if I'm lying. Every month its been petty untrue stuff like above. Its just eating at me in an otherwise great position. Neither parent ever praises me for anything, even though the house is spotless, baby is happy and loves me and is walking and talking at 11 months. I know I'm lucky to have a job in this economy, but I get anxious wondering what I'll get tagged for next, and why they've never even said one "good job"? They are always polite but I feel like I'm being watched for failure.