Friday, March 20, 2009
We spoke with the nanny and were very candid about where we are at. The one thing I did not make clear in my original post was that to reestablish myself in a prior profession, I will be putting in a lot of hours per week, this is why I cut the days down to four and no less. The nanny has agreed to stay on even with a paycut. We are rearrange her hours so that she works 5 hours on Friday, 5 hours on Tuesday and 10 hours the remaining three days. We made it very clear that we respected her option to look for another position and told her that we would serve as super references for her. We also told her that if, down the line, she feels that she can do better and we are not in a position to change her pay, we will support her decision to began looking. As we go forward, I have her scheduled for the days and hours mentioned above, but it is unlikely that I will atleast initially need her for the full 10 hour days, so she'll probably be working closer to 7/8 hour days. The nanny's pay change will not be reflected until her April 24th paycheck and her new hours will be in effect starting Monday, March 30. Thanks to all who took the time to offer their advice.
Received Thursday, March 12, 2009
In December of 2008, along with several thoughtful gifts, we gave our nanny a bonus of $2500.00. She had been with us for 11 months. We pay her a salary of $850 on the books. The company I am working with is looking for some of us to go voluntarily with a great severance before they are forced get rid of more of us. Either way, based on my time and experience, I would be one to go and I am thinking of taking the earlier way out which will afford me more severance and options. I have the ability to do some freelance work in an entirely different field, but this will take a lot of time to get going again and make contacts. Due to this, I will need to rely on my nanny to continue working. At the same time, even with this severance, the nanny salary we are paying now will break us. The nanny is wonderful with our children, we have no doubts about her. We don't have an intimate relationship with her and so it will be hard to sit down and discuss the financials of this situation. I would like to propose that we lower the nanny's weekly salary to $600 per week and cut her hours by either one full day or 2 hours less of work each day, (her choice). If she can stick it out with us through December, we could offer to double her bonus to $5,000.00 for 2009 (out of my husband's bonus). There is a margin of error here of about 5%, my husband's business is on solid ground, but you never know. Before I propose this to the nanny, I would like to run this by other nannies and see what they think. The nanny has now been here for almost 15 months and has a very strong bond with both children. She also seems happy to be working with us and to thoroughly enjoy the job and seems happy to see the children every day. She is a live-out nanny and we do pay for her metro card. That would of course, not change. I just have to add one footnote and that is we tried to be generous with the nanny as things came up, for example when she went to Greece in July, we gave her a $500 Visa card just because. Things like these are also things we are cutting out, but any observer would notice that we have cut out a lot of things across the board, not just as relating to her. I do think that is relevant.