Monday

The Best Nanny Job Ever (almost)

Monday, August 4, 2008 - Guest Column by Anonymous

About 2 years ago, I used to Nanny for a Gay couple with one child, an adopted 6 m.o. boy. It was a dream job. They were a very sweet Couple, and extremely generous with me. You could tell they wanted the best for their baby, and they were really good Parents. I worked from 7 am to 5 pm Tues - Sat, Sundays and Mondays I had off. They owned a very popular Salon.

I would come in just as they were leaving. They got up with the baby every morning to feed and dress him because they wanted to spend time with him before leaving for work. My only other duties were baby-related, like laundry.

After a couple of months, with everything going smoothly, one of them started to come home during the middle of the day. I thought it was odd, and figured maybe they were just checking in with me or coming to see the baby. I didn't ask. But I could feel the tension.

I hoped I wasn't doing anything wrong, but thought if I was - they would tell me.

One day in particular, the same one had come home again, fussing like you wouldn't believe. He was so upset, I couldn't understand what was going on. He asked me to come upstairs, so I did. He led me into the master bath and told me to grab a toothbrush. I was obviously curious, why did he want me to grab a toothbrush?

He says, "This is what I want you to do".... and takes the toothbrush he tried to hand me and goes about scrubbing the toilet with it.

I asked him what was going on, and he said, "that's what you get when you cheat on me!" And then it started to dawn on me - he was using his partner's toothbrush to scrub the toilet. I don't know why he had wanted me to do it, but there's no way in hell I would have.

I said, "but he's going to get really sick." He says, "I don't really care."

I could feel my perfect dream job slowly crashing down around me.
I wrestled with the idea of telling the other guy what he had done with the toothbrush, but decided I'd better stay out of it.

Over the next several days, the fighting got worse. Then they just called me up one day and one of them (the one who now had a toothbrush that must've tasted like Tidy Bowl) told me that their Mom was coming to take the baby until things settled down.
I was devastated.

My perfect dream job didn't last very long. They ended up splitting, and I haven't heard from either of them since. I've never made more money before that job, or since. And the baby was the sweetest little baby you could imagine. I miss him so much.

I always wonder how he's doing and where he is now.

*If you are a nanny or nanny employer and would like to share your personal experience or advice, please do. You choose whether to reveal your name or write anonymously. Contact Jane for more information.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, UNREAL! What a nut job.

Anonymous said...

Dear OP, so sorry you lost your perfect dreamjob and the sweetest baby ever.
A new dreamjob will come your way someday soon and the baby will be just as sweet!! And the job will last a long time!

I am glad that dad & dad had enough sense to have grandma take the baby for a while.That was a smart and very loving move.

People do weird things when they are angry.

I watched my sister lick every piece of luncheon-meat on a sandwich that she had just made for her husband! I don't even remember what she was mad about..but she was mad!!

Sure got me to thinking about how many times I made her mad though as a child..eeww!

Best of luck and don't give up until you find that dreamjob..it is out there!

Anonymous said...

Licking the luncheon meat. Fab idea...wonder why I never thought of that!! lol

v

Anonymous said...

BLB, you are so sweet!
I hope good things come for OP, too!

I once had a GF so mad at her BF that she smeared a 1/2 of a jar of mayo all in his bed, ewwww! I guess I get what the 'connotations' were for that one, lol!

And I also had another friend scrub a tiolet with her BF toothbrush... why is that so popular? Can't somebody get super sick from that, or maybe even die?!

O.k. - let's dish, people. Name some mean things you've done, or seen other people do!

Anonymous said...

Ok, the tiolet thing, I am pretty sure you can only get sick if someone has an infection and used that tiolet. Or if the tiolet has not been cleaned for months. It is actually pretty clean water. The Blue stuff(cleaner) is too dialuted to get anyone sick. Don't ask how I know.(tee-hee)

Anonymous said...

My brother used to really pick on me when he was 15-18 and I would just totally ignore him and then later do a giant spit with snot on his pillowcase...and I told him about it when we were in our early twenties. No regrets.

Anonymous said...

Haha!...ewww! Loogies!

Anonymous said...

LOL. i have never done anything devious like that. i'll bet i've been on the receiving end though. just a guess. :P

Marissa M. said...

Oh I so once cleaned my on suite loo with a room mates toothbrush- she was an uber cow who vomitted all over my toilet after another one of her drunken nights. She was so gross anyways, I'm sure the toothbrush was cleaner than her.

The best part was watching her use it the next morning.Knowing that I could see the foreign material on there- I made sure I got it full of stuff.
No regrets.
Now I only have great girlfriends! And good for them..

Marissa M. said...

Ugh typo, en suite