Saturday

Klahanie Park in Sammamish, Washington

Received Saturday, June 14, 2008
nanny sighting logoPhysical description of caregiver: A Caucasian female in her mid twenties, approximately. She had shoulder length hair, blond on the top layer and brown underneath. Her build was average. She was wearing a hot pink top and jeans.
Physical description of involved child/children: Two children, a boy and a girl. The boy around 3yrs old and the girl around 2. They appeared to be a Caucasian and Asian mix. The little boy had a band-aid on his face near his eye and the little girl had pig tails and a shirt that said Cute as a Button. It looked like the word button was wrote in real buttons. I heard the nanny call the little boy Cameron.
Address or venue of observed incident: Klahanie Park in Sammamish, Washington
Date and time of incident: Friday June 13, 2008 at 1045
Detailed description of what you witnessed: The nanny had her back turned to the playground while she was talking with a friend. The children were running around the playground while she talked.

I found it really strange that she didn't turn her body so she could supervise the small children. Right in front of her was a park bench she could have sat on that faces the playground. The park has a tall climbing structure that both kids were up on. At one point the little 2yr old fell of the monkey bar ladder. She fortunately fell off while she was still close enough to the ground that it didn't hurt her much. While I was pushing my kiddo in the swing the little girl ran right in front of us. I had to dive and grab the swing and my child before the little girl got knocked over. All the while the nanny is chatting away with her back turned not knowing what is going on. Several times the little boy ran over to the nanny and asked her to push him on the swings or watch him go down the slide. She keep saying "not now, go play." At one point he asked me to lift him up and help him with the monkey bars like I was helping my little one.

I told him he would have to go ask his mommy for help (we had just arrived and I didn't know who he was there with yet. He said "my mommy's at home." I understand that being able to talk to another grown up when you're with kids all day is a nice break. There is a way that it can be done while still keeping an eye on your children though. I think kids should feel independent and don't need a shadow all the time but you should at least have them in your line of sight. I don't believe this person is a mean and unkind nanny just one that needs to be more aware of her surroundings and have a bit more concerned about their safety.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talking to others can be done while supervising children. This nanny clearly demonstrated indifference, something I have seen way too much of on playgrounds and throughout the area I live.

Anonymous said...

I can tell you are definately a reader of this blog!
You wrote a very descriptive post.
Good job!

Anonymous said...

Good post. I agree that, while you don't have to be right on top of children that age, you definitely need to keep an eye on them and stay in the immediate area as they play. I like that you didn't turn this nanny into sensationalized nanny from hell...I mean, she MAY be or she may not be...what you witnessed wouldn't lead anyone to conclusive evidence pointing in either direction and you stuck to the facts. Sometimes the theatrics are pumped up so high in these nanny sightings that you lose focus on the real issue. So, kudos to you OP for keeping it on point and simple.

Anonymous said...

Good post OP. I do disagree with you and J.Jacqui that you don't need to be right on top of two year olds however. I've seen some bad falls taken by little ones that weren't being spotted while climbing. It is a delicate balance to encourage confidence and a sense of independence and still insure safety.
Let's just say this nanny could be doing a much better job of both.
A Nanny

Anonymous said...

Thanks OP. You sound like a good person.

Anonymous said...

There's something about being at a park that makes some caregivers think they do not have to supervise the kids in their care. Maybe they just figure other moms/nannies will watch their children/charges, which obviously isn't fair. I see it all the time though - both moms and nannies totally oblivious to what their young children are up to at the park.

One time I was with my daughter at a park and the only other people on the playground were a young nanny and her two charges (aged approximately 5 and 4). Then I looked up and only the younger kid was on the playground - nanny and older kid were GONE! It was a very open space and I couldn't see them *anywhere*.

So finally the nanny came back with the older child and a bike. They had been out to the parking lot (from where you could not see the playground) to get the bike, but they were gone a good 5 minutes while the little girl was alone on the playground. I said to the nanny that she shouldn't have left her alone and she went ballistic on me. A long confrontation ensued with the nanny screaming hysterically that she knows these kids and it's OK if they are alone on the playground for a few minutes, blah blah blah...

I just kept thinking that I would NOT leave a 4-yo by herself on a playground for any length of time, but the nanny's irate reaction ensured that I will think twice before saying anything to someone in a similar situation - in future I will just stay near the kid until the caregiver gets back. I felt bad her charges and my daughter had to witness this person going berserk.

Anyway, all this is to say that I agree with the OP - people need to supervise their kids. How many sightings do we see on here about kids wandering out of playgrounds? I also see kids fall off the play equipment or nearly fall and it's so awkward when I'm the only adult around. I don't want to be grabbing some other person's kid, and it's not appropriate for me to be the one comforting them when they fall, but what to do when there is NO parent or nanny in sight or when the parent or nanny just ignores them completely?

Anonymous said...

If there is no one around, I would wait 2-3 minutes, with that child right next to me, and see if the Mom/Nanny return.
If they don't, I'll call the Police.
If they do, and they see me with the child, I will say ....
"Oh, it's a good thing you came back when you did. I didn't see anyone around and I was just getting ready to call the Police".

Usually they are so glad to have made it back "in time", they leave with their jaw hanging wide open, child in tow .... and hopefully a lesson learned.

Anonymous said...

well...that seems like an overreaction. even if you did call the police, i would think the police would say, "why don't you just wait a few minutes for the caregiver to return." as a nanny i would think you were weird for doing all that.

on the other hand, i think this is a great post. hopefully the nanny and some other nannies will be reminded to be more attentive on the playgrounds or just go somewhere safer to play.

Anonymous said...

It would be intended as an overreaction towards the Nanny. I would want her to fear ever leaving the kids alone again, that maybe someone would call the Police.
And in all honesty, I would probably wait about 10 min., but that's it. If nobody stepped forward to claim the child, then yes, I would call the Police.

Anonymous said...

Calling the police when you see a child unattended for a period of time is NOT overreacting. It's necessary, especially in NYC. There are creeps everywhere and they hang out at parks and playgrounds. Just last week, a sick pervert was arrested in front of my children's school for exposing himself. I'm sorry it didn't make the news and that his photo was not broadcast for everyone to see. These people are very real. You do not leave a child unattended for any amount of time!
-NYC mom

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't leave the child unattended, I would stay with him/her until someone showed up. Whether it was the Nanny, Police or Parents .....
just wanted to make sure I was clear, sorry.

Example: Of the 76th and Fifth Ave, Cen. Park post, they do not clarify if they waited with the child for an adult to show up.
Very scary.

Anonymous said...

xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

looks like someone is spreading a little love? i feel all warm and fuzzy now!

Anonymous said...

Great post, O.P. You described everything very well. Kudos!!! :)

As for the "nanny"... some nanny. Nannies are supposed to play with and watch their charges, not ignore them... I hope the parents read this and fire her.

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

My question to the OP is, have you seen her since? After all I am familiar with Klahanie and last I knew, only residents of Klahanie were supposed to use the park.

* In fact, that's why I don't like Klahanie.

So, I would assume that the children were/are Klahanie residents and OP is too.

Why not follow the nanny home next time and report to the parents?

Sure you'll get a bad look from the nanny and there's that chance the parents won't respond kindly either, but I say it's worth a shot.

After all, we're talking about the safety of the children and isn't that everything?

* Better yet, follow close enough to know where the children live, but don't report until much later / when the nanny is gone.