Monday

JoAnne Fabrics in Columbus, Ohio

Received Monday, October 22, 2007
Physical description of caregiver: Early to mid twenties, Caucasian, female. Long curly brown hair, jeans, t-shirt.
Physical description of involved child/children: Baby
Address or venue of observed incident: JoAnne Fabrics parking lot, off of Sawmill road, Columbus, Ohio
Date and time of incident: Monday, October 22, 2007 around 10am
Detailed description of what you witnessed: A woman (who I assume was a nanny or young mother who was in very good shape for just having a baby, I also think it was a nanny because she did not have a lot of baby stuff, just a car seat in her car and one large bag that she carried) put the child in the car in a car seat in the back of the car. After placing the infant in the car she went to put the cart away (in between two other cars not in the cart return place, I assume so she would not have to leave the infant for long). She returned to the car, put the car in reverse, and started to back up (no more than a foot) WITH THE CAR DOOR STILL OPEN, the door that she used to place the infant in the car, so the door right next to the baby. Just as I took a few running steps towards the car and started waving and getting ready to yell, she turned to look behind her (she had already started backing up) she put the car in park and then got out to close the door.
Description of vehicle, bag, stroller that may aid in identifying involved caregiver: I don’t remember what kind of car it was, but it was a sedan of some sort.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

This seems more like an honest mistake than a case of abuse/neglect.We are all human.

Anonymous said...

I agree.
Honest mistake here.
Not like someone intentionally berating a child or slapping a child's hand away when the child wants to hold her hand.

Poor woman was probably mortified.

Anonymous said...

I always take the baby with me when returning the shopping cart, or I purposely park right next to the cart return.

Anonymous said...

just a mistake.

nothing to alert the masses to.

Anonymous said...

That's a mistake.. no big deal. But, I also park next to the cart corral if I can, just for convienence sake with my own kids.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a case of baby-brain to me!

she probably IS a new mother and just made an honest mistake.

and even if it was the nanny - who can say they haven't done something like this before by ACCIDENT.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the above posts. Sometimes, I just leave my cart, better than leaving my son in the car by himself. Or wheel him to the cart location and take him out, and carry him with me to the car.

jbean said...

new mommy baby brain to me. Heck, my 3yo has told me 2x now that I have forgotten to strap him in as I am pulling out of the garage. It happens to the best of us.

Anonymous said...

My friend once did this. Only she drove all the way out of a th epark parking lot and onto the street with her door hanging wide open and me honking behind her. She was mortified. Everybody makes mistakes sometimes...even the best of people.

Anonymous said...

Thats nothing.

The new young father of a little girl on my block, put her infant carrier on his roof and proceeded to drive away. I am certain there are gaurdian angels because he got about half a block and the carrier stayed on the roof! Then he realized we (the neighbors) were all screaming at and chasing HIM. He then remebered and jumped out of his car. He kept apologizing to the infant Who thankfully was not hurt) to us and to his young wife who berated him publically.. He wads mortified as that baby is his pride and joy. People make mistakes.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like new mommy brain-fry. This is not a bad nanny sighting, just a mistake. I am sure she was really embarrassed too.

Anonymous said...

that's just a mistake
it could happen to anybody, nanny or mother

and she only backed up like a foot...big deal

this post is not relevant

Anonymous said...

Oh honey, This one sounds like a young mother.

A young and sleep deprived mother.

Poor dear, good thing you were there.

Anonymous said...

I agree, mistake! Whether she was a nanny or new mommy, babies are tiring and I'm sure she had a total "OoO my Gawd, brain fart moment"! My sister did this one time leaving my house with my 3 month old nephew! When I stopped her and she realized what had happened she was so upset and sleep deprived she honestly broke down in tears! I don't think stuff like this sighting should be on this site, this is not cruel or abuse...accidents happen to every one!

Anonymous said...

Although this mom/nanny siting isn't anything more than a simple mistake, it might be good that it's here anyway. This kind of incident isn't rare. People make innocent mistakes. But today, and for a while, those of us who have read it will be thinking twice before driving off. Maybe a mom and her child will get a lucky break today because of it.

Anonymous said...

I almost did that yesterday. Should I give you my make and model?

Anonymous said...

I think we have safely established that the post was well intended, but that the incident was just an unfortunate mistake. No need to ALWAYS be mean to the OP. People are trying to help--and who is going to want to ever post on here if they get attacked every time?

If we don't want this site to die, how about all of us trying to be mature and reasonable?

Anonymous said...

Oh the humanity! What's next, putting recyclables in the trash!

Anonymous said...

This is what happens when you hire an idiot to watch your children. Parents need to realize that sometimes a brain can be a good thing for a nanny to possess.