Thursday

How to Spot a Good Nanny....

Received Thursday, October 25, 2007- Perspective & Opinion
Dear I Saw Your Nanny,

I love this site, but I have a little something to say about the parents and people who comment and stereotype "every" nanny that exists. This may be long, but I feel that it is important in a world whose talk show hosts and newspapers scare them into believing something that is not true. I really wish they would focus on telling parents how to spot a good one, not just how to spot a bad one. Thanks!

First of all, a good nanny works really hard. Not to get her paycheck, not to make sure her hours aren't cut, and certainly not only when the parents are there standing in front of her and the children. She works hard because she genuinely loves your family and especially your children. Almost as much as you, she wants to see them flourish in an environment that is full of wonders and possibilities and imagination.

A good nanny wakes up in the morning excited to go to work. She might arrive in a t-shirt and jeans with holes in the knees, but trust me, she is excited to be there for the day. She will sometimes drink coffee with you before you whirl out the door for the day, and this is good downtime for both the nanny and the parent. You see, a good "nanny family" gets to know their nanny as a friend and as a person. A good family knows that their nanny is very valuable in the hearts of their children (and likely, themselves), and wants to know this person that makes their children laugh and smile all day long; she is not, and never has been a simple employee to this family.

During the day, the nanny will engage, excite, teach, learn, laugh, walk, and play with your children. She knows that it is much more to teach and learn throughout the day by play, and that plopping the children in front of the TV is not an option. In fact, she feels guilty when either the child is sick and is limited by parents to sit in front of movie after movie, or when she arrives to work and the child is sitting in front of the TV, again, for the fifth day in a row. She also manages this situation with grace and without judgement, and whisks the child off to help prepare breakfast together.

Throughout the daylong adventure, her jeans are torn in the knees even more from crawling around on the floor, playing with the children. Her arms and shirt are splashed with paint, and a grime of colored playdoh builds up under her fingernails. She takes the children to local parks daily, to museums, attractions, community events, nature hikes, and playgroups, as well as the music and gym classes you picked out together with her. Every day is an opportunity to learn something new, to be something great, and she tries to teach this to your child through their actions.

A good nanny doesn't yell at your child needlessly, out of frustration, out of anger or hurt. She may yell "NO!" when a small child runs into the middle of the street. but the loud voices stop there. As soon as the child is safely back in her arms, she hugs them and explains to them why she loves them so much, and why certain things in this world are extremely dangerous. She is wise enough, and has enough intuition to know that her message has gotten past small, wide eyes, because she knows your child inside and out, and understands them completely. She knows when to kiss an owie, and knows when to tell a child "Shake off the dust, and keep playing!", she knows when they are sick and need to have a slow day, and when they are just feeling extra snugly one morning and need one on one quiet time.

At the end of the day, when the busy parent walks in, the child and nanny are all smiles. The good nanny does not judge a mother and father who have chosen to work outside the home all day, she appreciates what they do, and is excited to tell them all about the fun day. A good family will listen, and comment, and excitedly ask the child what he or she thought about everything they did. A good parent will come up with suggestions for another adventure and the good nanny will think of something in her mind to do for the next day as it is a privilege to take someone else's child out of their home, and into the big world, to show them something wonderful. After talking about the day, nanny waves goodbye to the little ones, and goes home or to class. She is content with the day, and though exhausted, is ready for a new fun-filled day tomorrow. After she washes her favorite pair of "nanny pants" with the holes in the knees that is, so she can wear them again tomorrow.

All you parents out there with nannies, if you have a good one, keep her. Talk to her, and don't try to be her best friend, but do try to see who she is as a person, not as an employee. If you come home for lunch, don't turn your back on the nanny, feed your child Coca Cola and Popems donuts and then leave, and come home surprised that your child has been cranky. Don't randomly decide to quit your job, still need your nanny, and then sleep until 2 in the afternoon. If you have a good nanny, the chances are that you are a good "nanny family" too, and keep on doing what you are doing. Smile and talk with her, come up with constructive ideas about what you can do with the child together, and genuinely listen to her when she has confidence that your child can do one thing or the next. She will genuinely listen to you, too.

And all you parents out there, or just people out there, with no nanny... get over it. The relationship between a working parent and their nanny is almost sacred if it is good. No amount of parent-bashing will force someone to see things your way. If you don't like it, then choose not to do it yourself, and respect those people who made another decision for the fact that they do it in spite of mockery and downright meanness.

And lastly, for all you nannies, if you are with a good family, don't abuse it. Likely you are not, but as you can see in this blog, some are obviously not cut out for our job. Strive to be one of the good sightings, let's show our little world that most nannies are actually good ones. Report the bad ones you see, and not just online, but to the parent of the children. It is so important for little ones to have every opportunity in this world, why would we try and cut them short, and take away better chances for them? As much as it is the parents' job to protect their children, it is our job too, whether or not we are getting paid to watch them.

Count your blessings,
A Good Nanny, who has worked for both very good families, and unfortunately, very bad ones.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Until I scrolled to the end of this post, I thought it was from my boss! :)

This is exactly right. There are good nannies out there, and I know because I am one... With an amazing "nanny family" that has become like real family to me over the years... What a refreshing posting to read after all of the hoopla surrounding the nanny who is being mistreated by her "nanny family".

Kudos to you, OP! Seriously people, dedicated nannies do exist.

-Another good nanny, who works for the most amazing people ever, and has, unfortunately, worked for pretty bad people also... and who wears the same two pairs of "play clothes" to work 5 days a week (and gets more excited that the normal adult to wear "grown-up clothes" on the weekends!)

Anonymous said...

you go girl!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well said!
NYC Nanny

Anonymous said...

Exactly! You sound like you could be my wonderful nanny, although we don't do coffee together in the am. Parents, there are wonderful caring nannies that will enjoy being with your children and family and you will enjoy having in your lives. When you find them, treasure them and treat them like gold (it will be easy because she or he will be someone you genuinely like being around). If you don't have one, be willing to admit the mistake, let her move on to someone who may be a better match for her, and look for the right match for your family. --a Mom who has employed 2 mediocre nannies before finding a great nanny.

Anonymous said...

This definitely describes my nanny. She is someone who loves her job and loves my children.
I am fearful that someday she will finish art school or get married or decide on some adventure and leave us.
This site has made me realize what a gem I have in her.
thanks for the great post

Anonymous said...

8:27,
If you care about her, you should want the best for her, not fear that it will happen.

Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing. I would never stand in the way of a nannies happiness. If she finds a great guy to marry and start a family with, better yet. Who wants to be a 50 year old nanny???

Anonymous said...

9:22 and 9:36 - no, you are right. I really do want her to be happy. She is a very sweet and bright girl.
My "fearful" comment is just me hating change and the unknown.
But, for now, everyone is happy - that is the best I can wish for...

Anonymous said...

9:26
"Who wants to be a 50 year old nanny?"
What kind of a crack is that? Are you saying it isn't a worthwhile profession?
52 yo nanny, and going strong!

Anonymous said...

9:58

Good for you!! I shouldn't have said what I did sorry. Its just that I never see nannies that old. Usually, young grandmas with their grandkids.

Anonymous said...

thank you for this i can defintly say i am one! even though i rarely do get any of that :)

Anonymous said...

I am a nanny for a family of 5 in CA. The family has a ft live in nanny. I have been with them 12 years, since the first one was born. I am now married and just had my second (and last son). I love the children I work with, love the family and my boss has promised me I will always have a job with her. So who wants to be a 50 year old nanny? I guess I do. Not that they will need a nanny when I am 50, but I can think of a lot of things less desirable and dignified than working as a nanny for children that you love and a boss who treats you and your own children as extentions of her family.

Anonymous said...

11:17
I am glad you are so happy in your job, but does it ever make you sad that somebody else is raising your sons while you are raising the children of another family?

Anonymous said...

Right, because I would be better off working in a corporate environment where a bunch of suits pay me to act like I am less smart than they are and to yes them to death.

I would be working either way. I am not independantly wealthy. So as far as jobs go, I could not have a better boss. I love the children I work with. My boss understands the needs I have as a mother and she is sympathetic and helpful. I dont know how I could possibly have a better job.

I hope my boss feels as lucky to have me as I feel to have them and their children.

Anonymous said...

11:17
I wasn't criticizing...just curious.
If you are a mom who is working to support your kids' basic needs, bless you.

Anonymous said...

what a fantastic post. it was spot on. you are exactly right. and this is totally how i feel with the family i work with.

parents need to think about it this way: we are helping in raising your most precious commodity...your children. we are an employee that you NEED to have trust and open communication with. you wouldn't just leave your car in any shop and hope that they'd do a good job...just as you wouldn't leave your children with just anyone and not want any insight into the person doing the job. (i hope that makes sense. it was a long day and this nanny's brain is about to go to bed!!)

Deborah Smith said...

Thank you for your fabulous post. I meet extrodinary nannies every day in my work, some who have been with their families for over 17 years. I attended a wedding once where the nanny stood with the Mother of the Groom at the front of the church. I think I was moved by this more than anyone else there, but it was so wonderful how Mom recognized Nanny's role in the life of her son. I heard my own son respond to his buddy (he was 5 at the time) when his buddy asked who his nanny was, he replied "She's my best friend." It still makes me well up.

Deborah Smith
Former Nanny
Owner of NannyClassifieds.com

Anonymous said...

Whyyyyyyy is this so long?
who caaaaaares?
this is like a friggin' novel
and it's boring

Nanny Lexy said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I am tired of hearing, "good nannies are rare," because they really aren't! There are sooo many deticated nannies out there, that look forward to their job each day! I am one, and I don't even have a great "nanny family" to work for. I just love my charges that much, that even though I don't get paid much, have no time off, no lunches, my boss comes home late daily without so much as a call, and NEVER gives me money for the activities, but I don't care! This is more than a job for me, this is my life! It's good to know other nannies are out there that enjoy their jobs and are appriciated by their "nanny family."

Anonymous said...

I'm a parent and I don't live up to the standards many set as a matter of course for their nannies. Sometimes I feel guilty, then I remember that kids don't need to be entertained 24/7.

Anonymous said...

Here here!

The family I work for are not rich, but they pay me well enough that I can actually live on my salary.

The sent me flowres on my birthday and gave me a nice, fair bonus at Christmas.

They surprise me now and then with paid days off so they can play hooky and spend time with their children.

In more than 27 months with them I called out sick once...and they paid me.

They pay me for my vacation plus add a little extra bonus in the check.

I show up during inclement weather because I know they have to get to work. When the snow got too bad last winter and they were a long time coming home they offered me their spare room to stay over...in fact they insisted and they paid me extra that week.

They always remember my Daughter's birtday and special occasions like her confirmation with a card and generous gift.

And most important, when I go with the kids and their mom to a doctor or someplace she introduces me in this fashion "this is my friend ....she helps me by looking after my children when I am working." And she thanks me every day when I leave. As A result I am on time, reliable and love her children as if they were my own.!

Anonymous said...

11:15: Lovely. You are very blessed.

Anonymous said...

7:40, you are no different than the rest of us parents who are honest with ourselves and each other. None of us are perfect.

Anonymous said...

1.46

obviously you are one of the terrible nanny families!

Anonymous said...

No, kids do not need entertained 24/7. Not only is that unnecessary, but it actually not good for them. They need to be able to find ways to entertain themselves, spend time playing with friends their own ages, or just veg. out sometimes...just as we parents do. Catering to their every whim, and desire would likely produce disastrous results. Balance is important in all things.

Anonymous said...

To 9:26: I am another 52-year-old nanny and I thoroughly enjoy my job!!!I have raised 2 fine young men and I am happy to be helping to raise three fine young women right now!

I am a professional nanny and love what I do. I have been a teacher most of my life and I am enjoying my new career very much indeed. I shouldn't have to defend my choices just because of my age!

To the OP: You are right on! This post makes the most sense of anything I have read on I Saw Your Nanny. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Great post. Should be a must-read for all applicants for the job.

Anonymous said...

OP: I love your post! People like you make the world a better place.

Anonymous said...

Finely, some intelligence. You have to look long and hard to find it in the posts on this blog, though.

Anonymous said...

LOL is quite true for what u wrote!