Tuesday

Wilmette Public Library in Wilmette, Illinois

Received Tuesday, August 7, 2007
Physical description of caregiver: woman, black hair, darker skin, dark eyes wearing a black short sleeve shirt with Tommy Hilfiger stitched in white on the right side of the shirt, khaki colored capris and brown and baby blue Croc flip flops. She looked as though she could have been from the Philippines or somewhere near there, she had Asian features if that helps at all. Definitely not the kids parent and she didn't seem to speak English that well.

Physical description of involved child/children: 2 kids one boy and one girl looked to be between the ages of 3 and 5. Both children had dirty blonde, or dark sandy colored hair. The boy was wearing a Cubs jersey (no player on the back), navy blue shorts and royal blue lace up shoes that looked as though they could have been some sort of water shoe as well. The girl had long hair that was slightly curly and fell to her shoulders that was pinned to the side with a pink bow. Her shorts were light with a dark pink print, flamingos or swans perhaps that were a lighter color and the word "Lilly" in dark pink. I'm assuming they were Lilly Pulitzer. She had on a light pink t-shirt and in the front at the top of the shirt there was a little flower design. Her shoes were pink sandals with big flowers that stood out.

Address or venue of observed incident: Wilmette Public Library

Date and time of incident: Tuesday August 7th 1:15PM - 2:00PM

Detailed description of what you witnessed: The kids walked in with their nanny and she sat down in the chair while they each gathered a book and sat down at a table in the center of the room. She had a clear shot of them, they sat down together and began reading. When I glanced over at the nanny I was amazed to see that she was sleeping in her chair...I kept an eye on her and the kids and she dozed for a good 10 minutes. The little boy then got up and stood next to the nannies chair, he looked uncertain about what he should do. The little girl was playing at the little table with a dollhouse on it with 2 of my girls. She was very sweet and played nicely but was very quiet and I wasn't able to get her name. The boy went and got a book and dropped it on the table in front of the nanny and she woke up. The girl then went over there and the three of them sat on the floor while she read the kids a book. From where I was sitting it sounded as though English was not her first language but I am not certain about that. After the book she got back in her chair and dozed off again. For the 45 minutes that I was there when she was she must have been sleeping for at least half of that time.

Description of vehicle, bag, stroller that may aid in identifying involved caregiver: The woman had a baby blue bag of some sort that had a long handle/shoulder strap like a messenger bag would. The strap looked to be cream and maroon striped.

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

A sleeping nanny. Do employers know that this exists? A picture would have been super.

My nanny is a caffeine junkie. I guess I should quit bitching about the cost of coffee and be happy that she is always alert!

Anonymous said...

Since when has it become acceptable to sleep on the job at ANY job? Let alone one where you are watching small kids??!! I mean, what if something happened to these kids what she was sleeping--accident? Abduction? How wouls she explain this? Awful.

Anonymous said...

It happens all the time. Government workers are among the worst offenders.

Anonymous said...

How rare that a parent such as the McCanns would actually leave their tiny babies all alone in a hotel so they could go have drinks and dinner. But a pervert sure seized upon that. Do you people not think that chancing upon a sleeping nanny in the park or library is the best case scenario for some pervert? What is wrong with you parents that you hire and continue to employee these kinds of people? Do you have no standards? I bet if you work in corporate America and have people underneath you, you sure ask a whole lot of your assistant or even the mailroom guy. But heaven forbid you should ask your nanny to stay the fuck awake and keep her eyes on your children. Entres Vouz?

Anonymous said...

I think you meant "employ" not
"employee". You should check your work more carefully if you don't want to sound like a complete idiot.

Anonymous said...

12:34 lol did you forget where you were? that might be impossible for many people on this site!

Anonymous said...

Cali mom - get a life and quit editing blogs - seriously.

Anonymous said...

Nannies arent the only ones who fall asleep on the job. I was at the poil playing with my two charges and we attracked a small group of about 3 other children that begane playing with us and one mom took that as a sign that she no longer had to care for her child. She promptly got out of the pool and fell asleep (for a good half hour). Its not just a nanny thing.. Its the kind of person you are.

Anonymous said...

pool. not poil. dont want to get my head bitten off for that one.

Anonymous said...

WOW i would like to get paid to sleep in the nice air-condition libary...nice
you cant close one eye with 1 kid but for sure not 3 kids come get a grip..fire her ass....
no excuss on her part , foreign or not....out she goes

Anonymous said...

at leest she didnt fal asleep on the weigh their. Liberries are boring enyweigh. Eye wood fall assleep thier two! I spell good, rite Cali Mom?

Anonymous said...

I think aside from the disturbing part that the woman was sleeping while watching the kids the other thing that bothered me the most was that she did not speak to them at all except for when she read them the one book. I wasn't even able to get the kids names to add to the site. I could also mention that the kids seemed fairly familiar with the library so I'm going to assume that they come here pretty often. Perhaps I'll run into them again this week since it is so hot outside and is a good place to escape the heat--and this time I'll try and snap a photo.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we'd love to see a photo of the sleepernanny in action, or lack thereof!!

Anonymous said...

One of a pair of 4 year old twins is missing because the person in charge of them DOZED OFF. In this case it was a father. Stay awake when you are watching children!

Anonymous said...

Laycee...no one is attacking you except on that other posting where you claim to only make $3 an hour. Yeah Right!

Anyway, can you define the word "attracked" for me as I have never heard it except in your above post?!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah....do "begane" too, while you are at it.

Anonymous said...

Don't go after the OP. It takes a lot of courage to even say something to someone when they are doing wrong. She is not a coward, the fact is if she had made the nanny angrier she very well could have taken it out on the child to relieve the agression. This makes me sick --- I hope the kids parents see this. I hope that she isn't so forceful that the kid ends up with red marks or bruising on the face. I wonder how she'd explain that one!

Anonymous said...

6:44 perhaps I am losing my ability to read properly as my age advances, but I do not see where anyone went after the OP. Your comment confuses me.

Anonymous said...

okay now we will all think Im dumb and I admit I made myself feel real stupid... my above comment was meant for another sighting. I had two things going at once and I clicked on the wrong one. I will repost this to the correct sighting and it will make more sense then.

Anonymous said...

11:40...do you kiss your children with that mouth? I don't think profanity is necessary on here, even if your points are valid. Have a little class.

Anonymous said...

Yet another person by the name of "anonymous" posted at some time within the last couple of days, (sorry, won't bother to re-locate it to note the time) attacking me for commenting on people's spelling. The post they were jumping on me for was made in response to someone with a major attitude criticizing all parents for percieved universal carelssness and stupidity, so my response was meant to point out they themselves were a rung or 2 below absolute perfection. If you have something worthwhile to say, a typo or 2 or 3 won't completely discredit you, but if you're just spewing, you're asking for it.

Anonymous said...

Cali Mom: Who are you talking to? Your rant was obviously aimed at someone, but doesn't make much sense. Please clarify.

Anonymous said...

I think Cali mom is trying to say that it is not fun to read a post with too many typos, especially the ones that change the meaning of the entire post :) just my two cents. Good night.

Anonymous said...

1:54...well she should know because that last thing she posted was a jumbled up confusing hot mess!

Anonymous said...

If you can't follow the thread, maybe you shouldn't post.

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head there, Cali Mom. Maybe YOU shouldn't post. You are the bigggest know-it-all instigator on this site and often make off cuff (and off the subject) comments just to get things started. Get a life. I read this blog a lot, but rarely post, but I just had to say something at this point when I see you on almost every post, harrassing people about their opinions (many of which were very good)as well as their spelling and grammar, when you are no better. This site should be to help children, not amuse Cali Mom or give her something to do with her poor boring life.

Anonymous said...

Oh please, bitter thing at 5:46. There's a simple solution if you don't like what I have to say: SKIP IT. I put my name on every post so it's easy to do.

Anonymous said...

Posting glitch, here's the rest:

This happens on every board I've ever visited - someone whines about how they hate the board or hate a particular poster and accuse them of having a boring life because they visit the board, but obviously hang on every word instead of avoiding that which they claim is so offensive to them. Tell you what, if you sign every one of your posts 1234, I'll do you a favor and skip over yours.

Anonymous said...

And this is it:

I find it rather interesting actually how you accuse me of "harassing" people with my opinions when your opinion of me, though you wouldn't know me from a bar of soap, is that I have a "poor boring life". I'd say the same about you but I'd *hate* for you to accuse me of harassing you. *rolleyes*

Anonymous said...

Wow, Cali Mom. Defensive much???? After that tirade, I'm with 1234 on this one, whomever he or she is.

Anonymous said...

S'okay by me. I'd have put it all in one post but kept getting an error.

Anonymous said...

Calimom is a complete nut job. she needs more then a life. SHE NEEDS THERAPY!

Anonymous said...

I hear you! I see so many defensive ramblers who just go on and on even though they are making less sense with every post.

Anonymous said...

So says Alpha Botox Bitch. :P

Anonymous said...

Some people need to up their meds.

Anonymous said...

My Goodness!!!! Why don't these blogs block Cali Mom. I don't usually read blogs or have a nanny or children for that matter. I stumbled across this page by accident and to be honest, the total lunacy of Cali mom is what caught my attention. She is a piece of work, all be it a cracked piece of work. I think someone should start a Crazy Cali Mom on Crack blog