Tuesday

Central Park Mall in NYC

Received Tuesday, March 27, 2007
I was sitting on a bench in the Walk and reading a magazine. An attractive brunette wearing tight black pants, wedge style shoes with a high heel, short sleeve sweater with low cut keyhole. Color was lavender.
We made brief eye contact and quick smile of acknowledgement and then I return to reading. Woman is carrying large black bag and pulls out a book and an instant messaging device. It is just before 9 AM on Tues. Time passes. People walk back and fourth. A woman and her husband sit down on the bench next to mine. Then I hear a little boy making excitable noises. I look up and a little boy in a long sleeved navy shirt with a red and grey (?) jacket tied around his waist is pushing a green, plaid baby stroller. The child can't be more than 4. I look behind him to see where his mother or nanny is. The child is shrieking excitedly. I then hear the happy sounds of the child in the stroller. Looks to be a girl 9months-1 year. Fair hair, blue jacket. No mom in site. The woman across looks up from her text messaging and responds to a question the boy asks her. She reaches in her bag and pulls out a juice box and hands it to him. He struggles with the straw, drags the stroller next to him and climbs up on the bench next to the woman. He mistakenly sits on her magazine and she quickly snatches it out from underneath him and rolls her eyes at him. Then back to the text messaging. Where did these kids come from?
They were not in ear sight previously! How far away did she leave these children? And what if someone had stopped them before they found her?
The woman didn't seem to have any connection with these children. I really don't think it was a mother, maybe just a smartly dressed nanny? If your nanny was at the park today with your two children, the youngest child has a white framed walking stroller with a green plaid print, the boy has a short, buzz style haircut. Both children were super cute and well behaved. I think they deserve better! I didn't say anything to this woman. I couldn't figure out what her deal was.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great descriptions of the nanny, children and stroller!

I hope the mom sees this

Anonymous said...

I'm a nanny and I have to say, sounds like a Mom to me!

Anonymous said...

12:49, I agree.

Anonymous said...

Welp..if it IS a nanny.....I sure hope the Mom sees this!!!! (I wish that people making comments on this board would attach their names and quit posting anonymously.) I noticed that none of the good nannies will put their names on their posts.

Anonymous said...

Sorry 1249 and 802, sounds like another lazy nanny who doesn't know how to do her job. Too many of the nannies posted here really do such horrible work, I don't know how they stay employed and manage to fool their employers!

And Katie, I agree with you. It gets even more fun when others post about how they know who posted as anonymous. As if!! I no longer post with a name myself. That way when others try to guess who you are, you can sit back and laugh.

Anonymous said...

Sorry 12:58, I have to say, I think it's you who's wrong. What nanny wears high heel shoes and a key-hole cut sweater to work?

If, however, this is a nanny, I think the family may have hired her for reasons other than her stellar childcare, if that's the way she dresses everyday.

And 11:20: I post regularly to this site with my name that links directly to my blog, and I believe I qualify as "one of the good nannies". It seems to me that it's as many mothers who post annonymously, so let's try not to point fingers.

Anonymous said...

Katie, I consider myself one of the good nannies who post on this site. I always identify myself as a nanny, and I give my location (NYC) when it is relevant. Unless you are the only nanny named Katie in Colorado, you are still fairly anonymous.
Because I am in a large city, and care for school age children, I am in contact with a large number of parents and nannies, some of whom are sure to look at this site. I think it is important to protect my anonymity and by extension that of my work family. Suppose for example I post about a horrible nanny I saw in the park, who was complaining about all the cleaning and below market rate salary. I say the parents apparently don't care about quality care for their children, and the mom turns out to know my work family.
A nanny

Anonymous said...

Sometimes anonymous is best

Anonymous said...

annie, I have to disagree with you too. Several times I have read about a nanny not dressed for her job. Tight, revealing clothes. High heels. Whatever. Just because she is dressed the way she is does not mean she is not a nanny.

Anonymous said...

I'm speculating as much as anyone else on this site, so yes, you're completely right to point out that I could be wrong.

I do, however, stand by my statement that IF she is a nanny, mom & dad aren't doing their job in the first place, and shouldn't be so surprised that their nanny has ended up on this site.

If your nanny comes to work in tight pants, heels, and a revealing top, you can pretty much bet your children are not her top priority during the day. And if you don't make a change, your not making those kids your top priority either.

For the record, though, I would still put money on her being someone other than a nanny, although, she doesn't quite sound like a mother either. Another family member, perhaps?

Anonymous said...

Ok, Annie, now I have to say I do agree with you. She may or may not be the nanny, and if she were, she was definatly not dressed appropriately. My nanny shows up in khaki pants or jeans, and tennis shoes. I have toddlers who love to run around the park, and she knows not to wear anything fancy. I guess I would question why parents would hire a nanny who dresses that way....

Anonymous said...

I agree that people should post their names: it would be so much fun to see all these moms get sued for slander!

Anonymous said...

I doubt it's slander, 8:25. Lots of detail. Besides, slander is very hard to prove.

Anonymous said...

You have no way at all of knowing if this was a nanny or a mom, or an auntie. Yes you described her wonderfully clap on the back for you still as a mother it seems like it could be ANYONE.

Anonymous said...

clap on the back?
what does that mean?

Anonymous said...

Clap on the back is a hard pat on the back, more enthusiastic.