Friday

Arcadia Park in Arcadia, California

Received Friday, March 2, 2007
Hispanic sitter with short orange hair, large midsection and thin legs caring for stick thin 3-4 year old blondy girl with short blunt haircut. Little Girl was very thin, almost gangly. Sitter wore brown pants and a button up kind of shirt. Sitter was completely ignoring the child. Sitter was reading "Pulso" a foreign newspaper and ignoring the child. The child had no one to play with and at one point was trying to play with two older children who were mean to her. The sitter didn't even look up from her paper. The girls called her a "dumb baby". At this point, I didn't know who the child was with and I was within earshot of all three children, so I said, "that's not very nice". That was enough to stop that. But the girls ran away from the girl. Leaving her just slumped against a pole and later just standing looking at her feet. I don't know if this girl had problems are not, but the slightest positive interaction might have directed her towards the smaller children at the park. I realized who the child was with when she very meekly approached the sitter and asked "can you play with me". The sitter put down a corner of her paper and said "Goplay". Yes like that. In one fast word. The child was so lost. This child was very pale and also very young. She could have even been under 3 and tall for her age. The child looked around the park and just as quickly looked at the ground. She then went and stood behind the sitter parked on her keister reading the paper. Later the child slumped to the ground and simply sat. She was still just sitting there on the ground behind the sitter when we left. PS The little girl was wearing a pink short sleeved shirt with a white puppy on it. And taking a child to the park- should be fun for the child, NOT a break for the emotionless sitter.

16 comments:

angela said...

it breaks my heart to read stories like this one. I was a nanny for over 12 years, and I loved it. Why?
because I love children.
Parents please do better screening these bad apples. No child deserves this.

Anonymous said...

I feel so badly for that little girl... porr sad littel thing! That nanny is a bitch, and a mean one too. That's all there is to it.

Anonymous said...

wow, what a sad post. that poor little girl.

Anonymous said...

so the moral of the story is if you have a child who is shy and introverted, hire an outgoing and active nanny. Or else DO not force the nanny to take her to the park.
Poor girl.
This isn't helping her at all.

Anonymous said...

what the fuck!! that wman in nt a nanny just a fucking babysitter i bet she getsa paid $5.00 an hour!!
wake up people!! not everyone can be a nanny

Anonymous said...

4:00,
you kiss your mother with that mouth? Nah, it probably suits you right as you "hollaback" orders at Mickey D's.

Anonymous said...

I thought there was a moderator for these posts and no cursing etc is allowed. Clean up your act ladies

Anonymous said...

You are right, this woman is not a nanny, no matter what her employer calls her. And my guess is, she was hired for her willingness to clean and do the family's laundry, not her child care qualifications. If you look for someone who is knowledgeable about early childhood development, has taken the initiative to get certified in infant/child CPR, and ask refs. about her creativity, energy and what age appropriate activities she did with the children your child won't end up with someone like this.
A nanny

Anonymous said...

9:57:

WRONG.

Anonymous said...

5:54 Which point are you disagreeing with? Just saying someone is wrong is not very constructive.

Anonymous said...

what do you mean "wrong"? Does that sound like an involved nanny doing a good job? That poor lonely little girl. She wasn't even protected from the mean older kids. Some stranger had to do it. And when her feelings were hurt, the "nanny" didn't even try to help her feel better. Ew!

Anonymous said...

I feel so sad for that little girl and the sitter what a bitch.

Anonymous said...

This makes me sad. Especially because the little girl just ended up sitting there. I am a nanny and I never bring a book to the park and the kids and I have fun playing together

Liza said...

I have to say, I've worked for families who hired me AS A NANNY and later chastised me for spending too much time with the children, and not cleaning up after them enough.
The parents literally said that all they want is to come home to a perfect house and as long as their kids aren't in the ER, they're happy.
They thought that I spent far too much time playing games, taking walks etc....
needless to say, I wasn't with their family for very long, but I felt so badly for the kids (who were 8 and 11).

Anonymous said...

I think by "WRONG" the 9:57 poster wasn't disagreeing with anyone but merely making a concise comment about that nanny/little girl situation. Poster is right. this is just plain WRONG.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.