Friday

E. 66th & York Ave in NY, NY

Received Friday, January 26, 2007
Adult female/possibly a nanny spotted having some sort of tantrum. In all fairness she could have been suffering from a disorder. She was flailing her hands around. She had bags that she dropped. The little girl that was by her side was telling her, "It's okay", "It's okay". I stopped and asked the nanny if she needed some help. Her eyes were glazed and glassy looking. The second before I reached her she was flitting about and obviously agitated. But when she responded to me, she stopped and stared right at me and said "I do not". She did not let go of my gaze. This could have been a stepmother, babysitter, parent, aunt, I don't know. I do think something is or was wrong with this person. Here is the description:
Location: E.66th and York Ave in NYC, about twenty feet from the River View Restaurant.
Child: Between 4-6. Wearing a cream colored jacket that was very thick. Blonde hair that had beautiful ringlet curls. Light eyes. Fair skin. American Sounding accent.
Adult: Female. Dark, dark hair (dyed?) that fell to shoulders, fair skin, 5'4'5'6", 120=135 lbs. Wearing knee length navy coat. Camel colored boots worn outside of her denim jeans. Boots had some style of fur embellishment, almost like "pom poms". The woman had attractive features but was somewhat disheveled at this sighting. When I approached her, I observed what looked like a jaw tremor. (?) My gut feeling is that she was the child's nanny.
What happened: very young child was attempting to calm down adult who was either having a tantrum or some sort of seizure. No assumptions here, the child had a panic on her face. I was not the only one who noticed this. The adult female was flailing her arms about. Almost like she had a bug in her shirt. The child was trying to grab hold of her jacket and seemed to want to protect the adult. I was attracted to this sight by some sounds the adult was making. It sounded like a coughing/shout. I turned to look at her/them because I thought she was calling out to me or warning me. She was moving about in a strange way and dropped her bags. They fell right next to her, upright and then she kicked one of them away. I approached the woman and asked her if she was okay. I said, "Do you need help". As soon as I spoke to her, she stilled herself. Kept her entire body very still and slowly turned her head to glare at me. She said "I do not" in a very flat voice with a stormy look on her face. To be honest, I was caught off guard by the almost menacing response and I did not press her any further. I am in no way blaming the adult for doing something "wrong". I don't know what was going on. It was frightening for me to observe and it was most definitely frightening for the little girl who was dependant on that woman.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like an epilepic seizure.

Anonymous said...

Turret's syndrome?
Glad you at least offered to help :)

Anonymous said...

^^ITA-that is what it sounds like to me also. My mother is an epileptic and when I was a young child, she would sometimes have "attacks" while we were out and about. I would do the same thing the little girl did, just say it's ok and wait for it to be over. People would always come by and want to call a hospital or the police or whatnot, but, it was just an epileptic attack and it would pass, there was really nothing that could be done about it. and, yes, it was frightening for me as a child to se emy mother that way, but, that is the way it was. I got used to it as I grew older.

Anonymous said...

crack?

Anonymous said...

ITA?

Anonymous said...

I never knew it was possible to have a seizure in a semi-conscious`state; how frightening. What a wonderful, aware little girl, too.

Anonymous said...

What we have here seems to be DTs. Maybe daughter's reaction also implied that she realized her mother's behavior indicated she was at least off the pipe or bottle. (Some of the side effects associated with certain drug detox periods are tremors, vomiting, severe body pain and breaks in psychological functioning).

Anonymous said...

There are various forms of epilepsy-not everybody has laying on the ground arms and legs flailing seizures.

Anonymous said...

and not everyone has the luxury of detoxing at Promises in Malibu. Sometimes people get their detox on walking down York on the Upper East Side. It's NY, (baby).

I vote DT's.

Anonymous said...

yeah meth and alcohol. my guess. in new york call 311 and ask what to do.

Anonymous said...

definitely DT's