Wednesday

Deja Vu - Henry Street in Brooklyn Heights

Receieved Wednesday, October 4, 2006
The Brooklyn Heights Starbucks on Montague Street nanny sounds a lot like a terrible nanny I know of also in Brooklyn Heights. There is a nanny I have seen for the last year and a half who works for a family on Henry Street between
Joralemon and State street. Her name is Joanna. I used to be a neighbor so I saw her a lot. I have witnessed many acts of petty cruelty towards the children she
watches. One memory that stands out is when the youngest child (I think her name is Hannah or, Anna)was still a baby. Joanna was outside talking with two
other nannies and the baby started to whimper. Joanna said "oh, she's hungry" and then promptly ignored her,continuing her conversation. After about 5-7 minutes
the baby was hysteric, gasping for breath. It was only then that Joanna took out a bottle and gave it to her.It was as if this nanny had something to prove to the
other nannies like she was too cool to be attentive to a crying baby. She acts completley different when mothers are around the children (she puts on an
act, smiling) then when she thinks is alone with them or with other nannies (she speaks overly harshly or outright ignores them.) I have seen other dull-eyed
nannies in this neighborhood who are busy yaking inanely on their cell phones or shove the grossest junk food into young children's mouths but, I think
they are the minority. I also see many quiet, gentle,even loving nannies who seem to genuinely care for the children they watch.

The Brooklyn Nanny Spy
Thebrooklynnannyspy@yahoo.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would so have said "dude, give her the fucking bottle". And I normally consider myself above such things as crying babies. But what the hell?

Anonymous said...

Okay, as far as this whole complaining about nannies being on the cell phone thing goes...I am a nanny, and the only time I am on the phone in front of the children is when my bosses (aka. THEIR PARENTS) call me, and might I add they like to ramble, which could make it look like I am on the phone with a friend, when really I am not. So next time make sure you really know they are talking to a friend before you assume anything.

Anonymous said...

Praytell, do you rely on your employers to be these oblivious to your con? I see right through you sister. And cell phone conversations that go on and on and are peppered with slang and personal plans and raucous laughter- well do tell just who would be so stupid to mistake that for a conversation with an employer? I have a nanny and I pay for her cellphone. Just like the company I work for provides the phone lines to my office. I am accountable, so be damn certain my nanny is accountable.