Wednesday

Leroy Street Nanny, NYC

Received Wednesday, September 6, 2006
If your nanny is often walking your child (boy between 9-12 months), I see her all of the time. She walks to Starbucks often with your child. I have seen her in Starbucks. When your child starts crying, she says "oh, stop crying, stop crying". The nanny is focused on getting her coffee but the child never has a bottle, crackers or even a toy to amuse himself. I don't like the tone in which she speaks to your child. Isn't it her job to take care of the child? Because she behaves as if the child is interfering with her coffee obtaining and newspaper reading. She pushes your child in an orange Valco Runabout stroller. If this sounds like you, I hope you get a nanny camera. I don't know how to describe your nanny. She has a perpetually annoyed look on her face and is a very dark complected AA who obviously takes great pride in her figure (tight jeans, etc). If she smiled, she would probably be attractive.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

how excactly is her tone?

Anonymous said...

Yes I'd be interested in the tone too. Frankly the more serious abuses "reported" here would be better reported to the police or Child Protective Services.

Physical abuse and verbal abuse are one thing, but it's interesting how some of you think all nannies should be perpetually cheerful like Mary Poppins and will "report" people for a sharp word here & there. Is any parent kind & patient 24/7 and never utters a cross or sharp word? I don't think so. Why do you expect someone who is probably underpaid and overworked to be any different?

Anonymous said...

Nannies do not always need to be laughing, but they ALWAYS need to be kind. A calm, direct voice can be appropriate, but a sharp tone is not. If they can not manage the differnce they should not be a nanny.

Anonymous said...

is this working?

Anonymous said...

I take my daughter to the Leroy St. playground a lot and I have observed some great, attentive nannies and more than a few lazy, inattentive, cel-phone-chatting, nannies who have no idea where their "kid" is. I thought a nanny cam in the park would be a good idea but not easy to implement. All parents assume their nanny is great and loves their kid but we all know that isn't the case. I had a nanny for a year and was very lucky because she was attentive ( I spied on her ocassionally). After going the no-nanny route it is tough to go back. No matter what, no one is going to take care of your kid the way you do. It's that simple. My guess is that the parents who have lousy nannies are either oblivious or maybe don't care enough. It's tough here in NYC.