Friday

Beverly Park, Beverly Hills, Illinois

September Friday, September 29, 2006
Two nannies observed on the outskirts of this park & West 101st Street. One had two children in a double stroller that had some rain guard over it, so I cannot tell you anything about the children. She was an attractive, African American nanny who looked to be in her young twenties. Thin. Short "anchorwoman" hairdo. She was talking to her friend who was obviously a nanny and in distress. The friend who had dark brown hair, frizzy, white and pleasant looking wearing an oversized white slicker with faded blue jeans had apparently asked the other nanny to meet her. The friend with the children tried to the friend in distress. (The children seemed fine in the stroller and this exchange only took 5 minutes). The other nanny was saying thing to the effect of "He really thinks he is going to fire me" "He isn't going to fire me" and "He has another thing coming". I get the feeling this nanny found something on your computer indicating you were looking for another nanny or someone called her and accidentally let her know. Her friend told her to "calm down", "relax" and "just go home and carry on as usual" (I am paraphrasing here). I don't have a nanny. I have never been a nanny but I certainly find nannies and those who have nannies a curious lot. I am one who believes you can judge a book by a cover and both of these young women/girls looked like good people. The nanny attempting to calm the other nanny said repeatedly "you don't deserve this, this isn't fair but you need to calm down". The possibly about to be fired nanny replied to the effect of "I am not taking this lying down" Then she referenced how you might feel if she copied your computer's hard drive. The about to be fired nanny made reference to the fact she had been there for either two or three years "and this is how he repays me". The nanny with the children apologized to the friend but said she had to go because she didn't want to be caught in the rain. Is this a bad nanny observation? No. What is it? A curious exchange between nannies. One of whom appeared to be truly distraught and heartbroken. Which bring to mind my point, I have five persons employed underneath me and if they don't do the job as specified, I am held accountable. Except in rare incidents of abuse, nannies behaving badly seems to be nothing more than a poorly managed workforce. This is further indicated by the fact that an employer goes behind his employee's back and plans to fire her and does so in such a sloppy way that the nanny somehow finds out. Long ago, I realized that the best motivator for my employees was to treat them with the utmost regard. My employees have made a lot of money for me. This is me, in the corporate world dealing with grown men and dollar signs. How is it possible that a nanny-who in most cases effortlessly gives of herself to your children in addition to being entrusted with safeguarding their very welfare are not afforded the same respect by their employers as I afford my employees? I have to admit, I'm secretly rooting for the nanny.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

...not so secretly...

Anonymous said...

so i guess you would root for your employee who sneaks into your office, breaks into your computer, copies your hard drive, and gives it to your competitor?

Anonymous said...

Reading this guys (?) post, it doesn't sound like he treats his employees in such a way that it would ever foster the payback scenario you described.

Anonymous said...

I love the man who wrote this. I want to wrap my arms around him and hug him for an eternity. Great philosophy by the way!