Tuesday

Bad Nanny Sighting - Orange, NJ

Hello!
>
> This morning I had an encounter with a nanny who should absolutely NOT be a nanny. Shortly after I got to the park in South Orange, NJ, this nanny started yelling at another mom for picking up her charge's tennis ball. Often people will play with toys laying around and put them back where they found them, it's pretty standard in park play. But the nanny yelled "no, no, that's our ball." Then she yelled at her little charge maybe 2 years old to go get the ball from the lady. Fast forward 20 min (all this time she is sitting on the bench with a 3-4 month old on her lap while talking to another nanny) she lays the baby on a blue blanket on the ground that is made of wooden chips, and continues to talk to the other nanny, without paying any attention to the baby. I notice the baby has two super long and massive wooden chips hanging out of its mouth and I ran to pull it out (he was seconds from choking on it). Of course the baby started crying and she yells "his mom wants him to eat dirt! She tells me everyday if he comes home dirty she's happy!" I replied very sarcastically "oh I'm sorry he was about to choke so I pulled it out." She said "oh I would do the same if I were you but his mom wants him eating dirt." A: what mom in their right mind wants a 3-4 month old eating dirt and B: let's say she did. I don't think wooden chips the size of a finger would constitute as dirt and C: he's "eating dirt" unsupervised while you have a conversation! Please nannies and moms in South Orange, NJ if you know the parents of this child, let them know that their child is possibly always in danger of choking

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is ridiculous! That poor baby. I'm sure the mom doesn't literally want the baby eating dirt.

Leigh Raymer said...

it sounds to me like the nanny was " giving the op the business" in other words being ridiculous to avoid being criticized . I guess that is an interesting difference from the bad nanny who curses and threatens the Op but.. I still think there is an element of mental unwellness there. I hope we find this mom, especially if it means we find out this is not true - it would be great to hear that.

Unknown said...

Wow! That is unbelievable. I was a teacher, and camp counselor prior to being a nanny, I would never yell at another adult for taking a ball that was on the ground.
Worse is the safety issue with the baby. Having the baby on your lap while talking to another nanny, and glancing every so often at the two year old, interaction as much as possible etc... But with the baby,it is extremely important to not let them but objects other than their own toys, finger, blankie etc...in their mouth. This nanny clearly has issues,seems like she doesn't want to be bothered. I hope the children are ok, and I hope the mom is found so she can get rid of this clearly mentally unwell unfit nanny.

Unknown said...

Wow! That is unbelievable. I was a teacher, and camp counselor prior to being a nanny, I would never yell at another adult for taking a ball that was on the ground.
Worse is the safety issue with the baby. Having the baby on your lap while talking to another nanny, and glancing every so often at the two year old, interaction as much as possible etc... But with the baby,it is extremely important to not let them but objects other than their own toys, finger, blankie etc...in their mouth. This nanny clearly has issues,seems like she doesn't want to be bothered. I hope the children are ok, and I hope the mom is found so she can get rid of this clearly mentally unwell unfit nanny.