Friday

As Summer Job Ends, Sadness Begins...

OPINION
I nanny for three boys, 4,6,13 and all on the autism spectrum. Summer is winding down, and as I only watch the boys during summer months and holidays, my time with them, at least in the present is nearly the end. We have six days left together before everyone returns to school and as with most kids, and even more so Autistic children, transitions are rough.

I will be heading back to school, for my last semester, and the family I nanny during the school year and the boys will all be back in their various levels of schooling. I am terribly sad to be leaving them this summer, even with talks of the job continuing through breaks, holidays, and next summer it is still hard to leave behind three boys who have grown so much in the last three months. Spending 50+ hours together a week has been a real challenge, but at the same time it has been a blast as both of the younger boys learned to completely immerse their face in water with me as well as many other firsts. My question is, how would you as parents/nannies think it is appropriate to say goodbye to both the boys, and the parents? It has been a wonderful summer and I just want to end it on the best of terms. - Bittersweet Nanny

9 comments:

ericsmom said...

Why say goodbye? Sounds like you will still be part of their lives at least for another year. You do know how many breaks kids get in school. So you will see them soon.

anon poster #1 said...

re-post for Anonymous...
I just recently had to leave my job also. The boy (4) I watched was also on the Autistic spectrum. His therapists created a book that explained what was happening in the next few weeks. It explained that I was no longer going to see him but he was going to move onto the next thing - school for these kids. It included a picture of me, and pictures of what he will be doing. He really liked it and it really helped with the transition.

OP said...

OP here, and I just wanted to address the necessity to say goodbye and explain what is going on to these kids, like talked about by the second commenter here..
With autistic children it isn't just oh I'll se you the next time you don't have school. They don't even really understand the difference between weekdays when I come and weekends when mom and dad are home. So it will be a pretty big deal, when I disappear for a few months, and even if I may come back, which isn't set in stone yet, it wouldn't be until November which in little autistic boys minds is forever.

The idea of a book is a good idea, I'll ask mom and therapist about it today,

LAnanny said...

Good luck OP! I've had to say goodbye to a bunch of the kid's I work with (part-time nanny/babbysitter for lots of families) and it has been very, very hard. (moving cross country)

I like the idea of the book!

Sarah NY said...

A photo book if you have been taking photos all summer is a great way for all the kids to remember what you guys did all summer!

Village said...

Lucky kids.

Student Nanny said...

I'm with you OP! I'm a student too so all of my jobs have been part time/temporary as I work around my school schedule. That doesn't keep me from getting attached to my adorable charges! At the end of my jobs I always get my charges a small gift that somehow has significance. This year it was new goggles and a kickboard for my 3 yr old charge who just finished his first swim lessons, last year it was travel games for the kids as they were about to move to Greece (!) and I figured some in flight entertainment might come in handy. If you think about it for a bit I'm sure you can think of something that's both useful to them but somehow reflects on the time you've spent together.

gypsy said...

I like the idea of a book. I think it would be helpful if the children helped to create parts of it. It could be more than a photo book. It could have photos, drawings, recollection of memories, poems & quotes that reflect your relationship with the children & their future @ school & holidays!

Dory said...

gypsy! :D Hugs! Love your comments! <3