Difficulty in Deciding Day of Departure
I have an issue I need opinions on. Here's the situation. I have already decided to quit my current nanny job. I was planning on leaving at the beginning of September, which would mark my 1 year point. This is an extremely stressful and difficult job, and I've just realized that it's too much for me to deal with. Now here's where it gets complicated. The family goes to their summer home for 2 months. The other nanny and I were planning on splitting the time at the summer home, because it is a much more demanding situation being there. There's little time off and the hours are LONG (think 15 hour days). So we were going to switch on and off so we could both get some much needed R&R in order to maintain the necessary flexibility. Now it came out awhile ago that the other nanny has a health issue that would make it so she could only go to the summer home for 2/3 of the first month. Because of that, I would end up being the only nanny for 6 weeks straight. I was given the first 3 weeks off, and it was understood that that would offset whatever overtime I would accrue while at the summer home. I was okay with that. I knew it would be a difficult summer, but I had made my peace with it. Let me reiterate that this summer staff schedule was approved MONTHS ago. I knew what time I would have off, and I made plans for that time.
Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. I had determined that I was going to quit. I was planning to give my notice as soon as I got to the summer house, so the family would have a month to look for a replacement. I was planning to offer my assistance to make the transition easier. I knew it wouldn't be pretty, and it was making me look forward to being there even less. Then, while I was in the middle of making that decision, I heard secondhand from the other nanny that the family had decided that she shouldn't go to the summer house. They felt that with her medical condition she wouldn't be able to keep up with the rigorous schedule. That is all I heard about it. I already had my summer schedule, and summer plans, and I was never asked to switch things around. There have been times in the past when the family has not wanted a nanny at the summer house, depending on their activities, so I thought maybe it was one of those situations. And now, fast forward again to this week. I was basically told that I would be working the entire summer. The other nanny and I were reprimanded for not arranging our schedules to make sure they had full coverage. There were some words exchanged. It was stated as being "unacceptable", and they informed us that they don't have time to deal with something like this, and we need to figure it out. I told them that I would be able to work the schedule that I was given months ago, and no more. I don't think I'm in the wrong here. It was not the other nanny's choice not to travel with them, so I don't think it's her responsibility to take care of finding a replacement. And I don't think that I should have to cancel my plans and rearrange my life because they want me to.
Now here's the actual question. I have a feeling things are going to be hostile. I have one more week at the house before the family travels to the summer home. I know when I get to the summer home in a month, they're already going to be upset that I "left them in that situation". And then, I'm going to get there and give them notice. That is going to make for a horrible summer. What do you think I should do? I could give them notice now. Technically that could be considered either 4 weeks, if you count the 3 weeks I was scheduled to have off anyway, or it could be considered 1 week, if you feel as they do, that I should be working during that time. I don't really think that's enough notice. I could give my notice now, and tell them that I'm happy to still come work during the time I was scheduled if they haven't found someone else and help with the interview process. That's much more notice, and then they have the option of finding a replacement during those first 3 weeks and then I may not have to go at all, but I'm still available if they need me. Or, I could just do as I had planned originally and give them notice when I get there in the summer. Honestly, none of these scenarios are ideal, because I know they're going to be so mad and I'm going to be miserable. I have money saved up and if I get this new job (I have my second interview tomorrow so I'm crossing my fingers!) I'll only be without a job for 3 months. I'll just be going home to stay with my parents during my off time, so I would love to have as much time as I can get with them and my friends. I just don't know what to do. Any advice?
at 9:11 AM