Tuesday

Nanny Wants the Ability to Leave Without Hostility

opinion 1
No matter what we do for a career or where we work, there comes a time when our time is up. Our work environment rocks, and we don't picture ourselves leaving. However, all good things come to an end-even in the world of early childhood education, from the nanny and teacher's worlds. An understanding boss, wonderful families, and adorable children who hold our hearts with their smiles and laughter keep our feet planted firmly where they are, making it difficult to say goodbye to those we love. Whether one is a nanny or teacher in an early childhood classroom setting: the nanny family and co-workers, along with the children we care for, become family.

Here's my situation: I am a college student majoring in early childhood education, currently working at a childcare center where I have been for 3.5 years. Throughout the 3.5 years, I have seen children and families grow. I have seen my co-workers get engaged, married, give birth, and go through break-ups. We are a family, and if someone asked me in an interview why I don't like my job, I wouldn't be able to answer the question honestly, because I love my job and my co-workers. In addition to working at the center, I also nanny one day a week.

I feel like my time has come to an end at the center, and I am actively seeking new opportunities. MB gave me a compliment last week: "it feels so good to have someone I trust who can take care of A and really understand her". (A is a special needs child.) MB's sister adores me: she asked me to babysit for her in a few months for an event she and MB are taking part in with DB. I told MB that if she ever asked me to nanny for her part-time, I would do it in a heartbeat. MB is a SAHM actively involved in her children's lives, and we share some of the same interests. Overall, I think we have a good relationship. MB's sister and I are also on good terms: MB's sister has high energy kids, and the first time I babysat for MB's sister, her sister asked me jokingly if her kids scared me to the point that I wouldn't come back and babysit if asked. I started laughing, because MB's sister would ask something like that, based on her sense of humor, which is similar to mine. I feel blessed to have A, her siblings A and A, along with MB and DB, plus MB's sister and her family in my life.

MB and I haven't discussed summer plans yet, in terms of whether I will be caring for A. Due to MB's sister having a large family and being a WAHM, I could see MB's sister needing potential help getting kids here and there during the summer. Here's the thing: MB's sister brings her daughter to my center for 4K, so she knows my boss. My reasons for leaving have nothing to do with my boss or co-workers. How would I bring up the subject of being available during the summer on a part-time basis to MB and her sister if they need more help without dropping the hint I am leaving the center? I would like to leave quietly, without hostility and a bad reference from my boss, as I need the reference. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Bethany said...

if you want to leave the center, find a job and leave the center. If your boss and sister wanted you more hours or for the summer they would have said so believe me families aren't shy when it comes to snatching up a sitter even if she has a job.

workingMom said...

I don't understand why there has to be any hostility? You would be trading one business relationship for another. Period.

If the families make you a job offer and you want it, take it and give notice to your current employer. "dear center, it has been great working for the organization....I am moving on to other opportunities..sincerely nanny"

StrawberryShortKakes said...

If your relationship with the center is as good as you say it is (which I am not doubting) then I don't think there will be any hostility there. As long as you are clear that you aren't quitting because of an issue at work or an issue with a coworker etc, then I don't see why there would be a problem. Like you said, the time always comes for people to move on and do something else.

First, put in your resignation at the center. Get a letter of recommendation signed before you leave. Then, once you've done that, if you want to offer up your services to MB and her sister, go ahead but I would make it clear that you did not leave your job at the center to care for these children (because you don't even know if they need you). To me, it is clear to me that you want to leave your job regardless but it might become weird if MB and sister think you left to free up your time for them (again, they haven't told you they need you more). Bottom line, don't bank on them giving you more hours, that is an assumption and is never a good idea :)