I need some advice from all of the professional nannies out there. I have graduated from college with a degree in elementary education and am making the transition from a part time nanny/student, to a full time, professional nanny. Last week I went on two working interviews in two different states. I had a great connection with one family. The family has three children, ages 4, 10, and 13. The household has plenty of help, including two full time housekeepers, a driver, and a chef. The family offered me the job, and laid out a proposed schedule of 50-55 hour/5 day workweek. The job includes great pay, benefits, use of a car, and they even offered to let me bring my dog to live in their home (they informed me that they would not have done that if they didn't want me to work for them so much). I told them that I was feeling really positive about the match, but I had another interview set up back in my local area, and as I had been in discussion with the family for some time, I would not feel comfortable canceling. They said that they understood, and that they actually had another working nanny interview after me, but that they "wouldn't change their mind" about wanting me. Well I went back home and talked to the agency, and then wrote up a quick email clarifying some issues that I sent to the family. I got a phone call this morning from the mother, reiterating how much they enjoyed me and how much they wanted me to work for them, but that they also really liked the other girl, and that they were thinking about hiring BOTH of us. Now I don't know what to do.
This isn't a situation where I would come into a household with an already established nanny, as we would both be equally new, so I wouldn't have to worry about that. They're an extremely fast paced, busy family with lots of other household staff who all chip in together, so maybe it could work? I know that the plan would be for the other nanny and I to have sort of separate schedules with each person taking one weekend day, with room for flexibility. However, they want us each to work 50 hours, and with all of the kids in school until either 12 or 3 every day, I don't know how a 50 hour work week would happen without quite a bit of overlap. The mom is calling me back this afternoon with a proposed schedule. I don't know if this is something I should even consider. Should I possibly ask for a trial period so I can decide if it's a good fit? Has anyone had a good situation with 2 nannies? If the other nanny and I get along well, it might be nice to have someone to work along side, or I can see it working out very badly as well. Any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated as I try to make this decision.