Monday

Holiday Bonus Feature 2010

Monday, December 20, 2010
0isnyholbonus
Bonus this year (2010): promisory note
Weekly Salary: $15 per hour, average of 38 hours. (about $570)
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: let's see, my employers got a dog this year and then decided he was too dirty and too messy, so they dropped the dog off at the Humane society. They had the best intentions however, because they had loaded the dog up on leashes, collars, brushes and dog beds. My supplementary gift? She put all of the "leftover" dog stuff in a basket with a BLUE bow and said, "oh there's something else for you on the counter". The way she said it made me think it would be a flat screen television. Thank goodness, I do atleast, have a dog!
Length of time I have worked for the family: 9 months
City, State: Westchester County, NY
*The promisory note is based on the "fact" that my employer does not get her bonus until January. This is very offensive to me because, I don't imagine it's going to be generous, so they just have me waiting for the sake of waiting. Power and control, ladies.


Bonus this year (2010): $1500 check
Weekly Salary: $500 per weekend. I only work 2-3 weekends per month on account of a custodial arrangement, but I get paid every weekend.
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: flip video camera and Macpro, $100 I tunes gift certificate and $300 Nordstroms gift certificate.
Length of time I have worked for the family: About a year and a half
City, State: East Coast


Bonus this year (2010): My holiday bonus is a gift worth $250-$300
Salary: My salary is about 300-350/week (from the family) and $175-225/week paid by an agency.
Length you have been with the family: I have been with the family for 2.5 years
City & State: Denver, CO
I get 3 bonuses a year, 2 are gifts (one around the holidays, described above and between $75-$100 for my birthday) and then I get another $200 every year on the date I started the job. They've been awesome and I feel totally appreciated! Especially coming from families that gave me no more than something really small or a card made by the kids. I was shocked the first year they gave me such a nice gift!


Bonus this year (2010): A one hundred dollar bill stuffed in a "you graduated" money holder.
Your weekly salary: 674.29 after taxes
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: Nothing!
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 11 months
City, State and Country: Harrison, NY
*I am the only nanny I know of in my area that didn't get atleast a week's pay as a bonus.


Bonus this year (2010): $1000 cash
Your weekly salary: minimum $650/week but often with a few hours of overtime, usually around $700/week
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: a small gift to open from the kids
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 18 months
City, State and Country: Chicago IL


Bonus this year (2010): $500
Nanny's Weekly Salary: $800 for 42 hours
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: Three extra days off
Length of Time you have employed the nanny: 3 months
City, State and Country: NY, NY
* The last two nannies I had were so good, many days I can hardly stand the site of this one. Her days are numbered. If I had my way, she would have gotten no bonus. She can thank my husband for going to bat for her. After all, we need her until we find someone better.


Bonus this year (2010): 1 weeks salary
Your Weekly Salary: $150 for a 15 hour work week
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: A silver necklace that momboss made for me (she designs jewelry)
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: almost 4 months
City, State and Country: Chattanooga, TN
I have only worked for this family for a short time but we have a great relationship. Their gift was so thoughtful and personal; the mom had to have decided to make it some time ago while I was still a new employee. I take care of their one 7 month old daughter part time and as both parents are self employed, I spend a lot of time with them. I got a gift for them and a few gifts for my charge as well. I'm thankful to have found such a great family to work for.


Bonus this year (2010): one weeks pay: 600 dollars
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus:a bottle of very good wine, a gift bag of high end hand care items, scrub, lotion, nightcream, nail polish, 50 dollar gift card for movie theater, Pics of baby in a bound album and a beautiful card that expressed how much the loved me and were grateful I was there for their baby.
Location: Chicago, City Northside
Length of time with family: Been with the family 2 months
The card was the best gift!!


Bonus this year (2010): $500
Weekly Salary: $680 for 40 hours
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: iPhone 4 and a case for it
Length of time I have worked for the family: 1 year and 4 months
City, State: Newton, Massachusetts


Bonus this year (2010): $1,000
Weekly Salary: $775 for 34 hours
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: I work for an artist. She gave me a painting. I think it was the painting that was rejected by one of her clients. She made a big tada of it. (Note to employers, your nanny knows what goes on in your house. We know what is new and not new and intended for someone else!). I don't like the artwork. I don't have a place for an eight foot painting and if a supplementary gift was supposed to be thoughtful, this wasn't.
Length of time I have worked for the family: 1 year and 10 months
City, State: Westchester County, NY


Bonus this year (2010): one week, $650
Weekly Salary: $650
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: a digital photo frame that I believe was a regift.
Location: Westchester, NY
Length of time with family: Been with the family3 years, 8 months!
* I used to make $750 a week. I took a paycut when my bosses cried economy about 18 months ago. I did not get an anual raise this year. I did not even get an appreciatable bonus. I am a good nanny. The fact that I have been here almost four years should shout that! Two years ago, my boss got me a very expensive jacket, ice skates, a GPS system for my car and a watch. They still make sure to mention their money woes, but when they travel, it's five stars all the way. I feel like I am being taken advantage of and treated like I am dumb.


Bonus this year (2010): $200
Your weekly salary: $13/hour with no guaranteed hours.
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: A picture frame with a picture of the kids (which I LOVED), A comfy sweatshirt (because I was complaining I only had a few to wear to work) and a comfy throw for the new home my fiance and I just bought. They also gave my fiance a nice bottle of red wine. They put my bonus in a Christmas card with the most sweet sentimental stuff in it, it made me cry!
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 1 year, 2 months.
City, State and Country: Dana Point, California
I am VERY happy with my gifts/bonus! My boss told me that her and her husband have a $100 limit for each other for Christmas gifts because both of them had to take a pay cut this year. The fact that they are doing without so that their kids and I can have an amazing Christmas means more to me than the actual gifts themselves! I have the most thoughtful employers and for the first time in my 9 year nanny career, I actually feel like a valued family member! I couldn't ask for anything better!


Bonus this year (2010): $1700
Your Weekly Salary:$850
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: $640 worth of personal training through a special at my gym - NOT their idea, i told them i had signed up and they asked to reimburse me as my gift!
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 4 months - taught their oldest 1 year before nannying for them
City, State and Country: Wheaton, IL, USA
This family asked me to come nanny for them, leaving a job teaching at my local park district - I couldn't be happier with the situation! The parents are respectful, supportive, and kind, and I love the kids - 4 of them, with the oldest aged 6. I truly hit the jackpot with this job!


Bonus this year (2010): $2500
Your Weekly Salary: $1200/wk
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: My boss helped me find an apartment near where she lives that I could afford and as a Christmas gift, she took me on the 15th to go shopping for furnishings. I didn't know what to expect. She bought me a sofa, dining room table set, queen sized bed, dresser, bed side table, two lamps, a chair for the living room, a chair for the bed room, a vacuum cleaner, a set of dishes, 2 sets of silverware, a set of expensive pots and pans and a desk! After all of this, I was not expecting ANY Christmas bonus.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 2 years, 2 months.
City, State and Country: NYC


Part Time Nanny
Bonus this year (2010): $150
Your Weekly Salary: $225 (15 hr/wk)
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: their Christmas card with a very sweet note about how much they appreciate me, and some brownies. And- this isn't explicitly part of my bonus- but I'm a college student and they've been VERY flexible with how my schedule will be changing next semester.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: Since Sept '10
City, State and Country: Port Washington, NY, USA
Given that I am part time and have only been working for them since September, I was surprised at how generous their bonus was. I absolutely love this family though, and this is just another reason why!


Bonus this year (2010): NOTHING!
Your weekly salary: 900 before taxes (for 50 hours a week)
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: NONE!
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 6 Months
City, State and Country: Portland, Oregon
*Like I said above, I have worked for this family for only 6 months, but over these months we have developed a very close relationship. I even purchased expensive Christmas gifts for them, and expected at least a small token of appreciation in return. Well okay, let's be honest, what I really wanted was a weeks salary, which is pretty standard in the nanny industry. It has nothing to do with the economy, as they are rolling in the dough. I always go over and beyond the call of duty, often doing the families dishes, laundry and housekeeping, which is definitely not a part of my job description. I work very long hours, and spend more time with the baby when she is awake than the mother does. The fact of the matter is, I felt very under appreciated before,and this is just the straw that has broken the camels back. It's time to find a new job.


Bonus this year (2010): $0
Your weekly salary: $400 per week
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: Nothing
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 4 months
City, State and Country: Durham, NC USA
Received my final pay today. I didn't even get my full pay because of the snow they weren't going to pay me for the days they decided to stay home to be with their children. No severance. Just a check for less than the amount I should have been paid.


Bonus this year (2010): 600
Your weekly salary: 400 for 30 hours a week monday - friday (8 hours monday - thursday and 4 hours on Friday)
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: My work family has ornaments made and given out as gifts. Also got a 100 dollar Starbucks card and a Nook from Barnes and Noble. (That I can't open till Christmas day breakfast over at their house.)
Length of Time you have worked for the Family: 2 years and 2 months
City, State and Country: San Antonio, Texas USA


Bonus this year (2010): $500
Your weekly salary: $250 (Part-time nanny)
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: Clothing and a bunch of gifts and perks throughout the year-gift certificates, more clothing, and housewares.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 8 months
City, State and Country: Portland, OR, United States
The best bonus is that I love working for this family and they treat me like I am a part of their family.


Bonus this year (2010): $700 (this amount has been given to me every year for about 3 years)
Your weekly salary:$700, working 55 hours a week as housemanager, nanny and personal assistant
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: none
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: almost 6 years
City, State and Country: Savannah, Ga
Comment: I must say, I am happy to have received a weeks worth of pay as my bonus, but I also expected a little more this year. I have been working for them for almost 6 years and I am pregnant with my first child (7months along). My husband has not had a job for several months now, so they know that we are having financial difficulties. We are very close (the dad even walked me down the aisle at my wedding), so I am just a little dissappointed that I got the same amount of bonus as every year and no supplementary gifts (something for the baby would have been very thoughtful).
It was also my birthday about a month ago and mom told me she would get around buying me a giftcard to babiesrus (i choose between that and a spa giftcard she offered). Needless to say, I have not received the giftcard yet and was kinda expecting it to be given with the bonus.
All in all, I am happy to have gotten a bonus at all, which will help pay some of the bills.

Share your bonus by emailing Jane at isawyournanny@aol.com with all the details.

50 comments:

Just My Two Cents Just Now said...

Wow..am I being under paid or what??! I love how one nanny had her bosses purchase all of the furnishings (dishes incl.) You all have wonderful bosses and I am 100% envious. For the nanny that is thinking of leaving her job, I would not leave a job based on no bonus. (If that were true for me, I would be unemployed for a long time.) Perhaps the family is new to this nanny thing and they don't even know that nannies are supposed to get bonuses too. Give them some time.

MissDee said...

To the MB who can't stand her nanny: did you ever stop to think that maybe you have a good nanny, only you can't see that because you are too self absorbed to appreciate her?

Texas Nanny said...

I'm super concerned about what Christmas will be like with my current employers. I've been with them 10 months so this is our first Christmas. I bought them and the kids several gifts and have been struggling to pay my bills between Christmas shopping and unpaid time off.

Since they're giving me 10 days off UNPAID for the holidays I'm really hoping there's a weeks-pay bonus waiting for me, but when my MB went on maternity leave and I didn't work for 6 weeks the only bonus I received was $200 - less than half what I make weekly.

Nanny nanny bo banny said...

wow, Texas. that's unfair. that was very nice of you to buy their children gifts, but if you are hurting for cash, you should have just gone with a card for each of them. I work for 2 families and only bought presents for the 1 family that I like better (one for the MB and one for my charge). Ha, it sounds mean, but i am young and I need my money to pay for school, clothes, transportation, etc..

a mom said...

Some of these bonus posts crack me up. MB, I totally get you. I've had great nannies and not so great nannies. THe nannies on this sight seem to think that when there is a problem with the nanny-MB relationship it's ALWAYS the MB at fault, as if there is no such thing as a shiftless lazy nanny. My last college sitter was a dud and I gave her a $100 bonus at christmas and didn't pay her for the two weeks we went away (I never guaranteed her hours anyway). Fast forward to this year and I have a new girl who started in Sept, 16 hours a week. She is fabulous. I gladly paid her her usual earnings for the 2 weeks we are away, plus an extra $250 bonus.

Bostonnanny said...

If you don't like the nanny then why don't you let her go? I don't understand why you bitch and cheap out when you can replace them. Or better yet sit down and have a meeting telling them your expectations and where you would like them to improve. Stop being passive aggessive by not paying and be direct.

Evan said...

To the employers that are offering a b onus of 500 on a salary of 650 or anything less than one week's salary, what is wrong with you? Pony up and give a whole week! if you don't regard your nanny well, why is she your nanny taking care of your most precious children? It doesn't make sense to me. Cheap out on the drycleaner, you know the dude who takes care of your precious cashmere or the doorman, you know the dude who knows about your secret visitor...Oh wait, you couldn't...

xfileluv said...

Some of these were so touching they made me burst into tears!

The story with the rejected piece of artwork....ack. MB is so busted. That sucks!

To the last nanny who is pregnant: don't give up just yet. Hopefully once the baby arrives, your bosses will come through. I know everyone will say it's not expected, but given the circumstances, I can understand you feeling hopeful that they will offer additional support. With any luck, when the time comes, they will.

Anonymous said...

To the East Coast nanny who got a MacBook Pro, I want your job!

oh well said...

Wow, I only work weekends for the most part. For over two years now. But I am a great provider even if I am only there for weekend nites. And I never received a gift. It doesn't bother me so much. But even a tin of cookies would be nice.
Its the thought that counts.

PHL nan said...

No bonus for me from the family that doesn't celebrate Christmas. No surprise there, they are cheap year-round..

a mom said...

boston nanny- when I don't like my nanny, I DO let them go - but just like a nanny likes to line up a new job before quitting, so does an employer like to line up a new nanny before firing one. It works BOTH ways - just like it does with any other employer/employee relationship. Sometimes the relationship sours around the holidays so you are just stuck - as a mom, or as a nanny. It has nothing to do with being passive aggressive. One could just as easily argue that if you are a nanny who feels cheated with their holiday bonus that you could bring it up with your MB- asking if they aren't happy with your performance because most nannies get at least 1 weeks extra pay in your area. Believe it or not, some parents really don't know what's 'standard' - especially working parents because they are less likely to compare notes with other moms in their area since they are at work all day.

Just Sayin... said...

Get overyourselves! A bonus is just that, a bonus! There is no guarantee, its a nice thought but not a given! Some of you are so greedy it makes my skin crawl!!! You get paid a salary to do your job, anything over that should be appreciated and if you don't get anything then you just don't get anything -- deal with it or get a new job!

jojo said...

Clark Griswold counted on his bonus. Business people do. Why can't a nanny? Why? Of course, they can. Nannies are not second class citizens.

personthatsayswords said...

I'm probably not getting a bonus this year, and I am okay with that. I am just so grateful to have a job and be employed by an amazing family. They are new to the nanny game and are far from being loaded with $$. I have received the huge bonuses in the past from other jobs. Right now, I am just happy to be employed as anyone should be these days.

not sayin said...

If I don't get a bonus handed to me this week, you better be sure I am taking it! My boss leaves her purse out in the kitchen and all of the coats are hung where I can easily access the pockets. Rich people like to throw money around except to the people who deserve it- like me- I am raising this bitches children! She knows it too! And I keep all of her secrets

Love being a nanny said...

Not Sayin.....
I hope you are joking. Taking money from your boss is so wrong on so many levels. My employers are infamous for leaving money on the kitchen counter, in thier jackets and pants and a lot of it ends up going through the wash.....it happens. We have a "petty cash basket", which is where most of that ends up, and we use it for pizza night, or daytime outings.
If you are that unhappy with your job, find a new one What do you think being a nanny is....sitting on your butt all day expecting the kids to watch themselves?

not sayin (just being real) said...

No, I am a good nanny. I just don't eat lunchables. I think it's disturbing that my employers think such food is okay for kids. They literally buy 14 lunchables per week for the kids. Myself, I'd prefer a nice salad or even an egg and cheese from Starbucks. It's not much, but I'm not paying for it and I'm NOT BEGGING FOR IT. I'm sorry the reality hurts you so.

Ohio Nanny said...

The thing I find interesting about these holiday bonus posts and subsequent responses is the sense of entitlement, and ungratefulness of what someone has GIVEN you. No one owes anyone a GIFT at any time, I don't care what anyone says. I don't get a whole weeks bonus, nor do I expect it. Some of these people who get $500- $1000 extra cash, plus other gifts and still complain....REALLY? Does anyone else spend that kind of money? I know I don't, and neither do my bosses.

Especially given that in the polls, when I voted, it showed that most of you who voted spend less than $25 on your charge and/or their family.

I am not trying to be a biatch, but it seems off to me. The family I work for is not loaded, and they do lots of things throughout the year to show appreciation. The best thing of all is their sincerity.

Tales from the (Nanny)Hood said...

As a longtime career nanny who has never gotten OR EXPECTED bonuses at Christmas time, I think that many people feel somehow entitled to what is, after all, a gift.

Unless you have a bonus guarantee in your contract specifying an amount you will get at Christmas regardless of job performance, get over yourselves, accept what you do or don't get graciously, and if you feel entitled to more, feel free to quit and find other employment.

If your self worth and job satisfaction is purely tied to how much extra $$ come your way at this specific time of year, you mnight want to think a little bit about those people who aren't currently emplyed, and who would be glad to have a job at all.

Of course, to those nannies who got used dog items or a painting they knew was a re-gift, or some other slapped together gift with no thought involved, you have my sympathy. It stinks to work for people who don't care enough to try to give you something with some meaning!

H said...

A bonus is generally supplemental salary awarded to an employee in recognition of that employee's job performance. I have been critisized on this blog for being hard on my employees and demanding of them. (My present nanny loves wearing scrubs. Her regular clothing is not subjected to crafts or grass stains). Any employee I have maintained has been treated to a generous and hefty bonus. I realize I ask a lot, so I give a lot. To the other employers, if you have a nanny who takes good care of your child, you are in arrears if you don't provide at least one week's salary.

Manhattan Nanny said...

Tales from the (Nanny)Hood

I had to chuckle at your second and third paragraphs, imagining them being directed to all the Wall St. masters of the universe who have been bitching and moaning about their lower bonuses in the past couple of years. Bonuses that are still many times the annual salary of most of the population. Well said.

Just My Two Cents Just Now said...

As a Nanny, while I would appreciate and prefer a monetary Christmas bonus, I would be okay with a pair of movie tickets, a Target giftcard or even a tin of homebaked chocolate chip cookies, etc. I value thought a lot. Many working class folks do not get bonuses, and if a Nanny gets one, she should be grateful and realize that it is a GIFT and not a given. Sure many nannies may get bonuses and that is great, but if you have a wonderful family who treats you with respect, pays you on time, and doesn't overwork you and under pay you then that is much more important than any bonus is. You simply cannot put a price tag on a great Nanny job. I know that from experience.

ATL Nanny said...

I actually do no see a bonus as a gift. I see a bonus as a performance-based reward for continued, excellent service. As such, I have one written into my work agreement. I understand that there may be times when a family cannot afford to give their nanny a week's salary or when a nanny has not earned it. But barring those situation, I do think it is earned and should be expected (particularly if it's written in the work agreement). Anything on top of that amount -- and any supplemental gifts -- I see as GIFTS and do not expect them.

AMom said...

To the people who didn't get anything, maybe your bosses are waiting until Friday to give you something?

MNnanny said...

I am wondering why this posted so early??? I have not gotten anything yet but I expect I will in the next few days before Christmas.

While monetary compensation is nice (and appreciated this time of year!) I would not base whether my employer cares about me or not on if she gives me a weeks pay as a "bonus". I can tell she cares about me and loves how I am doing my job on a daily basis! I LOVE and very much appreciate thoughtful gifts... Things the kids made me, things that I had mentioned liking (and my employer took enough notice to know what I like!), gift cards, baked goods... ANYTHING!

I can't wait to see what my employer has for me! It is my first Christmas with her and I know she is WAY better than my last employers! =)

NJnannyC said...

Some of these bonuses are outstanding! I'm totally jealous!! However, some are meager, and I'm very sorry that you were left out :(

At the same time though, some people, who got what I think to be HUGE bonuses are being so greedy and didn't think it was enough. Be happy that in this crap a** economy that you got anything at all...be happy that you even have a job!!

Oh, and this posted a little early didn't it?? I'm not done working this week until Thursday, and that is when I'll hopefully get a bonus and my weekly pay!

Jane Doe said...

I don't think this ran too early. We have always run this series in two sections. Should you wish to submit your bonus information, it will simply run in part two.

Just My Two Cents Just Now said...

I think that the people who wrote what their bonuses were going to be were either told ahead of time, perhaps in a contract or just received the bonus ahead of time, i.e., the family goes on vacation, the nanny goes on vacation. But I think it would be best to run Part II after Christmas to get an accurate view of what other nannies actually get since I think the majority will get their bonuses either a day or so before X-mas.
Merry Christmas to my fellow nannies!! You (we) work hard all year and whatever you (we) receive, I hope it makes you feel as appreciated and special as you (we) should. After all, we have a very important job to do and just because it doesn't take a Ph.D. from an Ivy League school, it takes something that school doesn't teach or can. Patience, love, generosity, and the ability to multi-task for sometimes 10 hrs straight.

Jane Doe said...

Just My Two Cents,
What are you talking about? Part II has always run after Christmas.

MissMannah said...

Wow, some of you guys are really horrible and seem to have forgotten what Christmas even means. I have never gotten a bonus as a nanny and only gotten a bonus once or twice from a regular job. And I'm totally ok with that because I consider a bonus a nice surprise, not something to be expected.

To the nanny who got the dog stuff and the "promisory" (you meant promissory) note: You seem to be a miserable person. Seriously. It seemed thoughtful to me for your employers to give you their dog's things, even if they were hand-me-downs. Who cares? That stuff can get expensive, and you did say you have a dog. If you didn't have a dog, then you'd have plenty of room to complain. And why the hell do you think that your boss is lying about getting her bonus in January? That is common and it is also common for the nanny's yearly bonus to be based off the boss's.

And to whomever is quitting over not getting a bonus: I hope you figure out the job market sucks. You need to wake up and figure out that your entitled attitude and little temper tantrum is not going to get you very far.

Just My Two Cents Just Now said...

Jane Doe:
Oh sorry I didn't know that.
My bad. I haven't used this website long enough to know this. Some of us are newbies on here...more or less 3 months.
I agree with Miss Mannah that some bonuses may come in Jan. like the bosses. And it is true, it may come after your boss gets his or hers. That would be funny, if the Nanny had no dog. LOL.
Yes, let's all keep in mind the true spirit of what Christmas really means. What is important. Being healthy, having healthy family and of course, having a wonderful family to work for. As long as they treat you right, respect your position as a member of the family and do not treat you like a servant, then everyday is Christmas. Or it should be.

NannyAlways said...

I'm the nanny who got nothing for Christmas even though I purchased some very expensive gifts for my employer family. Let me clarify: I am not horribly upset that I was not given a monetary bonus. I am however upset that I was not even given a small token of appreciation. I work really hard, and am very very good at what I do, and I do think it would have been nice to receive something as a thank you for that. Yes, a bonus on top of that would have been nice, but really all I wanted was to feel appreciated.

Anonymous said...

To NannyAlways said . . . Gift down, not up. You should gift the children, and the parents should gift you. It doesn't make sense to buy 'very expensive gifts' for your employers. It should be the other way around. A card emphasizing how much you appreciate them is enough. If you HAVE to give them something, bake. Don't gift up. Gift down. They should be eternally grateful to you for caring for their children as if they were your own, not the other way around.

I hope I don't sound bossy, but I am appalled/surprised at how many nannies gift employers, when the employers should be gifting them. Don't gift up. Bossy bossy bossy me. In most cases, the gifts have no value to the recipient, and will be re-gifted, which is in no way what the nanny intended.

NJNannyC said...

Sorry Jane, didn't know there was a part 2, can't wait! :)

As for getting my employers a gift...All I did this year was give them a nice bottle of wine, $20 and a great picture I took of the baby earlier this year. Of course, I spent WAY to much on the baby, but Hey! he's like my own, so it's all totally worth it!

LovingNanny said...

I gifted the parents of my charge aswell and I don't find anything wrong with that. We do not have the average working relationship, we are more like friends.
Yesterday we sat together in the morning and exchanged gifts. We all enjoyed watching our little girl unwrapping her gifts and playing with them. After that the parents unwrapped their gifts and then it was my turn.

spoonful of sugar said...

I think nannies rarely quit over not getting a bonus. Not getting a bonus is merely the last straw in a long history of being under-appreciated. So to the nanny who puts up with a lot of bs all year, getting a year-end bonus is the one thing that might mitigate that, and when it doesn't come, there is no reason to stick it out anymore. It's more "the straw that broke the camel's back" rather than the sole cause of discontent.
Also, I think the necessity of giving a bonus might depend on the locale/class status of the family. For instance, it is absolutely expected in these high end, fully staffed buildings in NYC that residents will tip their household staff as well as the doormen. That is how the economy works here. If you are residing in a less urban area and/or working with a less wealthy family, the custom may be different, and a gift might be all that's necessary.

Chicago Nanny Times Two said...

Yesterday when I got to work there were several wrapped gifts on the dining room table for me along with a card that thanked me for coming into their "lives and hearts". The gifts were very simple but spoke millions because they were things, artistic things, that I saw at an outdoor faire here in Chicago and mentioned loving. I had even forgotten that I mentioned not wanting to stand in line in the cold waiting to make a purchase. And she went back and stood in that line. :) And a beautiful box of chocolates like they always have in their cupboard that I cannot stay away from! And a gift card to Whole Foods, where they know it's important for me to shop organic. I don't know the value because I haven't gone shopping with it yet.

So, no, I did not get twice a week's salary like is the "going rate for a bonus" here in Chicago. But I did get a huge bonus, just by the fact that they took the time to notice who I am and contribute to the quality of my existence by recognizing me. And I got invited to Christmas dinner; not as an off-handed comment but as a true gesture in saying how much they knew the children would like to see me on Christmas. With a genuine explanation that I would be "off the books" and to please come and enjoy and know that it is simply for that, to enjoy, and not to watch the children. They looked me in the eye and went on to say that it is a touchy situation because they love having me around and don't want me to think they want me there to work. And the greatest gift of all? They told me, "You know you are irreplaceable, right?"

I handmade the babies knitted blankets and hats as well as sewed each of them soft flannel sleeping dolls. They both love pillows when we play on the floor, so I made them each little pillow dolls that are small and safe, and cozy! (I'll try to post photos of the gifts I made!)

I have been working for this family for a year. Last year I had just begun at Christmastime and I got a $50.00 bonus. This year I think that they gifted me as they would a friend, with things they took the time to know I'd love.

Oh, and I got paid for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day because they are my regular days off.

I will have the week after Christmas off (with pay) because I have remaining vacation days from my contract that were unused in the year and they will be going to their lake house.

Regularly, I work four, twelve hour days a week and get $18.50 an hour for one year old twins.

And the very sad part is, I will need to be leaving this family in April to move back to San Francisco and care for my mother. And my heart is broken about this. So broken that I am truly questioning if I want to take on a new family when I move back home....it's so hard to leave.

Merry Christmas everyone. Be sure to count your blessings! Most folks, employers and employees, are respectful and just trying to do our best! We're all human, with strengths and shortcomings. Tolerance is a good practice. :)

mikki said...

WHY are you posting this here instead of in part TWO of the thhing?

Just My Two Cents Just Now said...

Chicago Nanny, not only do you make a great salary, but you also have great benefits and a wonderful solid relationship with your family. You are truly blessed and from my experience, families like that are in the minority. It seems like they really like you as a person but most important, they appreciate the care you provide for their loved ones.

Kat said...

What I find interesting in all these is the things that mean the most to most people is something thoughtful, not so much money. If the family is nice and treats the nanny with respect, the actual gift is less important. (Not to suggest that it's okay to be nice to the nanny but pay lousy.)

Andrea said...

This makes me so happy! So many great and appreciative employers! <3

mamarama said...

dear nannies
my nanny got her second raise in 6 months plus three hundred dollars as a bonus and what i got instead of gratitude was a sullen attitude and a full inventory of what all the other area nannies got as bonuses. i should add that prior to this exchange, i have truly cherished her, giving her twenty dollars whenever i have been even 20 minutes late, paid her taxi cabs home late at night, given her little gifts through out the year etc. she has enjoyed the status as a beloved member of our family.how disappointing to find that on the other side it really is all about money. reading many of your tags and responses makes me realize that for all the talk about "loving the kids"etc, that nanny work is no different from any other job - except that bonuses are not discretionary but owed. how disappointing - i would urge all of you earning many hundreds of dollars a week on or often off the books to check in with GRATITUDE. We mothers and fathers trust you with our CHILDREN - there is no way to ever compensate you fully for that work and some of us exhaust ourselves trying.

Vanessa said...

Ok I need to post this because my bosses are freaking awesome.

I got a $1000 bonus, even though I work 3 days a week. They also gave me the most beautiful Tiffany's necklace with my initial, a $25 Starbucks gift card, and a beautiful xmas card. I didn't even expect a week's pay bonus, much less any type of expensive gift.

The fact that they'd do this for me makes me so grateful to ever have met them and their beautiful family. It's not about what they gave me but the fact that they didn't have to, yet still did. I love them so much. They are so appreciative it moved me to tears.

They seriously are the most amazing people in the world.

Vanessa said...

I have to post this because what my bosses did... I can't even explain how amazing they are.


First of all they gave me a $1000 bonus, even when I only work 3 days a week.

Second, they gave me a beautiful Tiffany's necklace with my initial and a $25 Starbucs gift card.

And to top it all, the most beautiful xmas cards ever.

I cannot begin to describe these people. They are simply amazing. They've helped me throughout. I call them my guardian angels, because they're that great. My car broke down the day before Christmas Eve and they lent me their BMW so I could drive it for the weekend while I got my car fixed. Seriously?


It's not about what they give me, but about the fact that they gave it to me at all. Their appreciation moved me to tears.

A nanny who cares said...

Mamarama:

I totally felt like the complete opposite is true on this site. Most of the nannies seemed VERY grateful for that they got, myself included!

Floor dweller said...

Did I miss part 2 of this post or has it just
not posted yet? I thought it was coming
After Christmas.

der said...

total idiot,
yeah you missed it.

MaryPoppin'Pills said...

Part 2 did not get Published until 3:15pm so at the time Floor Dweller had asked that question, it wasn't up yet.

Good timing, lol.

? said...

Nice when most companies give a bonus tax is taken out.
wow