Received Thursday, October 29, 2009
I work for a wonderful family, as a live-out nanny. I have been with them for almost 2 years, and I have never had any problems. The parents and I have a professional relationship. I'm not treated like a member of the family, but as an extremely valued employee, which I definitely prefer. We usually communicate via email about schedule changes and vacations months in advance, which is very helpful.
My husband and I are planning on moving out of state in September. It will break my heart to say goodbye to my charges, and I'm pretty sure I'll never find a family like this one again. I don't want to just spring this on them, and I want them to have enough time to find a replacement for me. But my nanny friends warn me that if I tell them too far in advance I could be let go sooner if they find someone cheaper than me (this has happened to a few people). I'd like to believe this would never happen, but at the same time, I can't afford to lose my job.
My review and raise are coming at the new year. Do I tell them then? A friend of mine said wait until two weeks beforehand, but that seems a little late. Any ideas? Thanks!