Wednesday

Wendt Playlot on Roscoe in Chicago, IL

Received Wednesday, July 22, 2009
nanny sighting logo Let me first say that this nanny did not endanger the little boy in her care in any respect as far as I know. But if this was my child, I would still like to know about it. I am just trying to report what I see without any judgment.

The nanny is Polish, in her 20ies, and has chin-length long brown hair. The boy is her care is about 2 – 3 years old. They come about once or twice (maybe three times) a week to the Wendt Playlot on Roscoe in East Lakeview. I have already seen them last summer there. They were at the playground Tuesday 7/21 (came around 4 pm and stayed for maybe 30 minutes) and she was wearing a black T-shirt and jeans shorts, the little boy was wearing a bright orange t-shirt and also jeans shorts. The stroller is red.

As I mentioned it before, she did not endanger the child, but that was about it. Every time I see her she has no interest in the child at all. She does not talk or play with him. If he comes because he would like to go on the swing, she tells him to go and play something else. She always meets up with one or two other young Polish nannies and they sit and chat. If she is not talking to them, she is on the phone. The little boy is completely left to himself and does not appear to be enjoying it. I am not saying that she should be constantly paying attention to the boy all the time, but I do think that she should have some interest in him when she’s watching him. There are many great nannies who visit this playground regularly and who do a fantastic job. It’s sad to see when it’s not the case.

5 comments:

mom in manhattan said...

Thanks for posting this. I know sometimes, people flame posts that aren't "scandalous" but if I were using a nanny who had little interest in my child, I would want to know it!

mom said...

Sad. This happens all to often.

fox in socks said...

It is the standard of care by many supposed "nannies," unfortunately. Very unfortunate. It's good you posted anyway. Perhaps more parents will realize the substandard care that is quite often the norm.

CuriousDad said...

Makes me wonder if it is a Nanny or an Au Pair that is watching the child.
Of course I also wonder how many "Nanny" sightings are actually of an Au Pair not a Nanny.

fox in socks said...

It doesn't matter so much what the title is if they're incompetent.