Monday

Is there a market for short-term nannies?

Monday, December 22, 2008.
Perspective & Opinion Looking for feedback. I currently work for a non-profit federally mandated preschool supervising the preschool teachers. I have worked in the preschool classroom setting as well. The preschool is not open in the summer, so I seek alternative employment. I have a master's degree in health education, am an adjunct instructor at the local University, CPR/First Aid certified, Food handlers Permit, clean driving record, 10 years of child care experience and excellent references. I was wondering if there was a need for short-term emergency nannies? I would be interested in nannying for familes who need someone to fill in for their regular nanny. I would be willing to stay up to 2 weeks per job. I would request that my flight be paid for, but my salary would be fair. Thoughts? (And no, this is not a scam. I am really interested in knowing if this is something people would be interested in).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I doubt with this economy that you will find a job like that.

You might be able to find a summer nanny job though. Kids are out of school in the summer time and there are some parents who would rather hire a nanny for the summer than put their kids in daycare. That you'll probably be able to find pretty east

Anonymous said...

where do you live OP... I may have some suggestions for you....

Anonymous said...

I use to love short-term positions. You don't get bored. And you don't feel stuck with one family. Plus they usually treat and pay you better.

Anonymous said...

Here in NYC there are a couple of agencies that specialize in providing short term nannies. If you are in or near a large city, working with an agency like that would be your best bet.

Anonymous said...

There are people who do this, and I hope the link will lead you to a terrific person who can answer your questions.

I don't think this is an economy issue, since if a family has a nanny and needs someone to step in for a week or two, they will be prepared to pay for that service.

Anonymous said...

Good idea! Get in, get out before things get poo.

Anonymous said...

Of course there are jobs of the short term nature. There is a well known, INA Nanny of the Year, Donna Robinson does this often. http://www.thetravelingnanny.com/travel_nanny.html

Anonymous said...

I'm in Los Angeles and I hear about this all the time (I'm a mom). Either the reg nanny is on vacation or has a family emergency, etc and they need someone to fill in. I mostly hear about this on my mommy message boards/groups so I don't know how you would get a job in LA other than word of mouth. But a need for you, for sure!

Anonymous said...

I also see Ads from people coming into town looking for Hotel nannies. That's a quick gig and most times, very well paying, too. You can't get more short term that that. 2-3 days, maybe a week, then your on your way!

I don't know if you live in a big city or not, but it's a thought.